• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Is Greta happy yet?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Oil industry wants the furlough lasting for a year.

Consumption fell off a cliff.  most plebs not flying.

Is she happy or is she busy collecting up her stolen dreams?

Probably furious a worldwide drop in CO2 and other emissions coincided with a glorious two weeks here Just when people needed good weather the most, and record cold in Russia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I suspect we haven't heard the last of Miss Thunberg. I think the Green lobby will be building a case for permanent change based on environmental data from the lockdown.

Agree. But that does count on them having a base level of scientific education and the capability for any meaningful level of data analysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mentalhammer666 said:

How many tonnes of disposable ppe will be in landfills and floating about the oceans after this?

It's funny that it is never discussed which rivers all the plastic on the sea comes from. 

https://www.treehugger.com/ocean-conservation/these-10-rivers-appear-be-source-millions-tons-ocean-plastic.html

Cos it's not from the western world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I suspect we haven't heard the last of Miss Thunberg. I think the Green lobby will be building a case for permanent change based on environmental data from the lockdown.

I'm ready to bet that it will not include any taxes on aviation fuel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

I'm ready to bet that it will not include any taxes on aviation fuel.

yeah.

 

on social media the number of 'greenies' bemoaning the fact they cannot fly is immense.  for some reason they get very upset when I post helpful things like 'but think of all the CO2 saved!  Green living rocks"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, I hope she's taking the effort to enjoy her childhood at the moment (maybe drinking Lambrini and getting fingered?) -- because she's now got the opportunity and if she doesn't take it then she shouldn't be moaning about it in future.

Edited by dgul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wherebee said:

yeah.

 

on social media the number of 'greenies' bemoaning the fact they cannot fly is immense.  for some reason they get very upset when I post helpful things like 'but think of all the CO2 saved!  Green living rocks"

I wonder if it's because they realise that without flights and pollution etc there can't also be 'carbon offsets' providing money for Greenie causes.

If nobody is flying, then nobody is feeling guilty and nobody will be offsetting their guilt by donating to some NGO dedicated to fighting period poverty in Namibia or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I wonder if it's because they realise that without flights and pollution etc there can't also be 'carbon offsets' providing money for Greenie causes.

If nobody is flying, then nobody is feeling guilty and nobody will be offsetting their guilt by donating to some NGO dedicated to fighting period poverty in Namibia or something.

Only 2% of the world's population fly.

That's a stunning statistic and says to me that 98% of people might not be that bothered about flying stopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I wonder if it's because they realise that without flights and pollution etc there can't also be 'carbon offsets' providing money for Greenie causes.

If nobody is flying, then nobody is feeling guilty and nobody will be offsetting their guilt by donating to some NGO dedicated to fighting period poverty in Namibia or something.

That's an interesting thought. What's happened to the value of carbon credits over the last two months and has China snapped up a load on the cheap ready for firing up the foundries?

 

 

 

(I know, China doesn't give a fuck about carbon credits). 

Edited by The Generation Game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Only 2% of the world's population fly.

That's a stunning statistic and says to me that 98% of people might not be that bothered about flying stopping.

On a daily basis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whitevanman said:

On a daily basis?

2% of the world's population flew in 2019. (Or might have been 2018) That's all I know. Of course it might be the richest 1% flying twice.

If you take a flight you are rich.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

2% of the world's population flew in 2019. (Or might have been 2018) That's all I know. Of course it might be the richest 1% flying twice.

If you take a flight you are rich.

 

It's hard to get any figures. Reading around, there are something like 4 to 5billion passenger seat flights per year. Globally, only around 20% have ever taken a flight, more like 80% in developed countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.