• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Is Greta happy yet?

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Oil industry wants the furlough lasting for a year.

Consumption fell off a cliff.  most plebs not flying.

Is she happy or is she busy collecting up her stolen dreams?

Probably furious a worldwide drop in CO2 and other emissions coincided with a glorious two weeks here Just when people needed good weather the most, and record cold in Russia

4 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I suspect we haven't heard the last of Miss Thunberg. I think the Green lobby will be building a case for permanent change based on environmental data from the lockdown.

Agree. But that does count on them having a base level of scientific education and the capability for any meaningful level of data analysis.

2 hours ago, Mentalhammer666 said:

How many tonnes of disposable ppe will be in landfills and floating about the oceans after this?

It's funny that it is never discussed which rivers all the plastic on the sea comes from. 

https://www.treehugger.com/ocean-conservation/these-10-rivers-appear-be-source-millions-tons-ocean-plastic.html

Cos it's not from the western world.

13 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I suspect we haven't heard the last of Miss Thunberg. I think the Green lobby will be building a case for permanent change based on environmental data from the lockdown.

I'm ready to bet that it will not include any taxes on aviation fuel.

20 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

I'm ready to bet that it will not include any taxes on aviation fuel.

yeah.

on social media the number of 'greenies' bemoaning the fact they cannot fly is immense.  for some reason they get very upset when I post helpful things like 'but think of all the CO2 saved!  Green living rocks"

Posted (edited)

Well, I hope she's taking the effort to enjoy her childhood at the moment (maybe drinking Lambrini and getting fingered?) -- because she's now got the opportunity and if she doesn't take it then she shouldn't be moaning about it in future.

Edited by dgul

4 hours ago, wherebee said:

yeah.

on social media the number of 'greenies' bemoaning the fact they cannot fly is immense.  for some reason they get very upset when I post helpful things like 'but think of all the CO2 saved!  Green living rocks"

I wonder if it's because they realise that without flights and pollution etc there can't also be 'carbon offsets' providing money for Greenie causes.

If nobody is flying, then nobody is feeling guilty and nobody will be offsetting their guilt by donating to some NGO dedicated to fighting period poverty in Namibia or something.

13 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I wonder if it's because they realise that without flights and pollution etc there can't also be 'carbon offsets' providing money for Greenie causes.

If nobody is flying, then nobody is feeling guilty and nobody will be offsetting their guilt by donating to some NGO dedicated to fighting period poverty in Namibia or something.

Only 2% of the world's population fly.

That's a stunning statistic and says to me that 98% of people might not be that bothered about flying stopping.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

That's an interesting thought. What's happened to the value of carbon credits over the last two months and has China snapped up a load on the cheap ready for firing up the foundries?

(I know, China doesn't give a fuck about carbon credits). 

Edited by The Generation Game

46 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Only 2% of the world's population fly.

That's a stunning statistic and says to me that 98% of people might not be that bothered about flying stopping.

On a daily basis?

Just now, whitevanman said:

On a daily basis?

2% of the world's population flew in 2019. (Or might have been 2018) That's all I know. Of course it might be the richest 1% flying twice.

If you take a flight you are rich.

16 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

2% of the world's population flew in 2019. (Or might have been 2018) That's all I know. Of course it might be the richest 1% flying twice.

If you take a flight you are rich.

It's hard to get any figures. Reading around, there are something like 4 to 5billion passenger seat flights per year. Globally, only around 20% have ever taken a flight, more like 80% in developed countries.