DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Going through the garage I found a skipping jump rope that I'd bought years ago (and never used) and thought I'd give it a go. Turns out that jump rope is quite a thing, for the last few days I've been trying to do just 5 mins but it totally kicks my butt, it's ridiculously hard to do. Apparently 10 mins of jump rope = 30 mins of running, I can believe it.

Dr Solomon has some good videos... 

3 minutes ago, ccc said:

Its tricky. I can do the basics through boxing but I'm very average. Trying to learn the crossover now but can do the side swipe. Go me :Old:

You followed any vids on you tube of how to get started ? 

Yes, youtube is a wonderful thing! I've sized the rope properly now (which helps a lot :Jumping:) and learnt how to start off properly - with handles together and building up the rhythm one side then the other before separating and starting to jump. I was surprised to see that the 'rope' was actually made of steel wire coated with plastic, which hurts like hell when I get things wrong - also found out the hard way that footwear is a must, ouchy, ouch. 

7 hours ago, Mihnjeeta said:

Yep, that's quite an ad for it. How long/often are your sessions?

I use an interval timer app, 2 minutes skipping 30 seconds break, I usually do 10 lots of 2 minutes so 20 mins in all, it's definitely a great workout and it took a little while to build up to that.

I do probably 4 days a week - I started off trying to do every day like the guy in the video but pretty quickly got sore/injured feet ( mid 40s so I'm getting old), so now I take rest days if feeling sore.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

He could do the moves already at  the beginning though, he was just out of shape. No way would most people be able to skip like he can on Week 1.

Yep. It's a pretty ridiculous video really. 

It's like someone whose a very proficient boxer but hasn't done it for ages saying - hey look what happens when I box regularly for ten weeks :oxD

Or any other sport that requires a high level of skill. 

Skipping like he does takes ages. 

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2020 at 23:05, Mihnjeeta said:

Yep, that's quite an ad for it. How long/often are your sessions?

It's the same as all videos like that, very misleading. First photo/still shows him pre-workout probably post a huge meal, poor posture, poor lighting. Looks nothing like the 1st week in the video:

Screenshot_2020-05-01 Skipping.png

I did skipping last summer and it's a good workout for certain parts of the body but it's not going to work miracles - that guy has also fixed his diet in the 10 weeks, IMO.

Edited by spunko
34 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's the same as all videos like that, very misleading. First photo/still shows him pre-workout probably post a huge meal, poor posture, poor lighting. Looks nothing like the 1st week in the video:

Screenshot_2020-05-01 Skipping.png

I did skipping last summer and it's a good workout for certain parts of the body but it's not going to work miracles - that guy has also fixed his diet in the 10 weeks, IMO.

Well, for my own amusement I'm creating a transformation video of myself over the next few months. I've deliberately not slouched for any of the footage for you reasons you mentioned spunko, as I'm keen to ensure that I'm comparing apples to apples.

Since I'm pushing 50 and somewhat out of shape I'm taking it very, very slowly, with just 30 mins of yoga each morning to begin with and gradually building up my skipping time. I don't want anything to pop or snap. Have also altered my diet and stopped smoking/drinking alcohol now. I ran out of gear 10 days ago (hence the new found ability to get off my arse) so will see what happens. I figure that if I do get hit by CV then I may as well try and give myself a fighting chance (appreciate that it may just come down to luck of the draw though:(). Who knows, I may even keep it up after the vaccine arrives if I make it through this.

On 02/05/2020 at 14:05, spunko said:

Fuck me - not done fitness rope aka skipping since last year, it takes it out of you. Couldn't even manage 5 minutes at a reasonable pace!

That's because you are ill.

Give your body a chance to heal itself and stop exercising.

Posted (edited)

An article here on whether exercise is good or bad for coronavirus immunity.

I'm fairly ripped and it suggests that I am at highest risk for doing too much exercise. If that were indeed the case surely we would be having headlines of 55 year old ripped man RIP Corona wouldn't we:S as opposed to all these large folk dying.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-much-exercise-is-ok-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic-whats-too-risky-2020-03-23

20200508_162840.thumb.jpg.c1edbfd6ca8da8895422161d2996918f.jpg

Edited by crashmonitor
23 minutes ago, ccc said:

This bloke has loads of videos I've been using and tips seem to work. 

Watch him going full at it if you want to get jealous. He's ridiculous. 

Have you watched the Floyd Mayweather videos? That guy you've linked to tries to copy his workouts but he's in another league entirely.. Double rope stuff like in fucking Cirque du Soleil :o

13 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

An article here on whether exercise is good or bad for coronavirus immunity.

I'm fairly ripped and it suggests that I am at highest risk for doing too much exercise. If that were indeed the case surely we would be having headlines of 55 year old ripped man RIP Corona wouldn't we:S as opposed to all these large folk dying.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-much-exercise-is-ok-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic-whats-too-risky-2020-03-23

20200508_162840.thumb.jpg.c1edbfd6ca8da8895422161d2996918f.jpg

Respect crashmonitor! Now that's what I call a 'Dosbod' :) (badum tish)

On 12/05/2020 at 00:29, Mihnjeeta said:

Respect crashmonitor! Now that's what I call a 'Dosbod' :) (badum tish)

Yes very impressive for 55, I'm the same age, most people, well certainly Brits at least, would say I'm in decent shape, but it's a bloody long time since I've been as ripped as that. I'd have to go teetotal and sugar-free for 6 months to get close - ie it won't happen!