DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Taking bets on the John Lewis Sweepstake

spygirl

sancho panza

is this for closure?

leicester would be a cert if it wasn't rent rfree from what I hear.It's always empty and the people here are relatively poor.

Tunbridge Wells. It's in some out-of-town shopping centre away from the rest, and always seems to be dead.

Bluewater would be interesting, as this is one of their "flagship" stores, along with House of Fraser (lol) and Marks and Spencer (lol).

If you've never been (lucky you) it's built in a triangle with one at each point. Less than 15 years after opening, all three flagships gone bust... imagine that.

They'll have to rebuild it as a hexagon.

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

is this for closure?

leicester would be a cert if it wasn't rent rfree from what I hear.It's always empty and the people here are relatively poor.

My understanding is that John Lewis (Cole Brothers) in Sheffield gets favourable rent to stay in the city centre and not piss off to MeadowHELL.  Sheffield centre is doomed though I reckon, there's no saving it.

And then there's this:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/28/anpr_sheffield_council/

Aside from the fact that the council (read government also) absolutely cannot be trusted with any of our personal data, it is fairly clear that they want to top up their lovely pensions by charging people to drive into town under the pretence of 'clean air' lol !!! That's on top on the ludicrous parking charges which mainly extend to 8pm each day now.  The twats in charge really are absolutely fucking everything up.  

JL are fucked.

Theyll have to pay full market rents  when the magic dust escapes.

At the mo they are seen as anchor store #1 so pay fuckall.

John Lewis own the freehold of 6 of their stores and 102 Waitrose stores.

Their flagship Peter Jones store in Sloan Square is owned by Cadogan but the annual rent is fixed......

at......

£6000

😂😂😂

sancho panza
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

JL are fucked.

Theyll have to pay full market rents  when the magic dust escapes.

At the mo they are seen as anchor store #1 so pay fuckall.

Someone will have to explain what they are to them....

6 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

The one the size of a planet in Cardiff

Exterior view of John Lewis department store in Cardiff City ...

Could compete in the 'Most ugly building in the World' competition.

sancho panza
2 hours ago, Option5 said:

John Lewis own the freehold of 6 of their stores and 102 Waitrose stores.

Their flagship Peter Jones store in Sloan Square is owned by Cadogan but the annual rent is fixed......

at......

£6000

😂😂😂

That leaves about 45 JL stores.I remember SNACR saying they got virtually rent free as anchor stores

338 waitrose stores.

WHen they shut the one in Oadby,Liecester,there was a fair bit of teeth grinding amongst the RPI linked pension brigade that they'd have to roguh it Sainsbury's.Hard times.

It'll be interesting if anything to see the ex public sector trougher in charge having to lay off 100s of people. I'll bet she enjoys it. 

12 hours ago, sancho panza said:

That leaves about 45 JL stores.I remember SNACR saying they got virtually rent free as anchor stores

338 waitrose stores.

WHen they shut the one in Oadby,Liecester,there was a fair bit of teeth grinding amongst the RPI linked pension brigade that they'd have to roguh it Sainsbury's.Hard times.

Back when JL were great (2000 onwards) and the shopping malss were still growing/being built, I rmember reading about a INTU or someone similar basically begging for a JL and MnS to anchor the site.

And thats the core of the problem. The idiot JL ex CEO, ex squaddy expanded everywhere, fucking up JL brand and profits.

stop_the_craziness
14 hours ago, sancho panza said:

338 waitrose stores.

My local brigade organised a petition and got a whole 200 signatures :Jumping:

• 3 months later...
On 29/04/2020 at 21:52, sancho panza said:

338 waitrose stores.

Indeed, at least someone listened.:)

On 30/04/2020 at 10:44, spygirl said:

Back when JL were great (2000 onwards) and the shopping malss were still growing/being built, I rmember reading about a INTU or someone similar basically begging for a JL and MnS to anchor the site.

And thats the core of the problem. The idiot JL ex CEO, ex squaddy expanded everywhere, fucking up JL brand and profits.

That’s the problem though you ‘read’ about it. Even in the trade journals you can’t really read about it because they’re designed only for people who work in, not run, whatever industry. The only place there’s anything worth reading is things like autobiographies of very niche figures aimed at other similar industry figures, and not the popular market, and even then it will still often be acronym and jargon heavy to lock the casual layperson out.

That’s not to say ‘oh look I know something you don’t know’. It’s just how it is, you can’t see inside from outside.

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

That’s the problem though you ‘read’ about it. Even in the trade journals you can’t really read about it because they’re designed only for people who work in, not run, whatever industry. The only place there’s anything worth reading is things like autobiographies of very niche figures aimed at other similar industry figures, and not the popular market, and even then it will still often be acronym and jargon heavy to lock the casual layperson out.

That’s not to say ‘oh look I know something you don’t know’. It’s just how it is, you can’t see inside from outside.

Nope.

Deals and whatnot leak.

You dont get the exact figures but you get enough that know that JL have not been paying anything close to commercial rents - whatever they are are now - for its large sites.

38 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Nope.

Deals and whatnot leak.

You dont get the exact figures but you get enough that know that JL have not been paying anything close to commercial rents - whatever they are are now - for its large sites.

Ok, I’II leave you to it on here I can see you’ve got the retail industry sussed and don’t need any extra input from me.

25 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Ok, I’II leave you to it on here I can see you’ve got the retail industry sussed and don’t need any extra input from me.

Not wanting to crawl, but I've always enjoyed reading your view on retail both here and on TOS.  I think the depth of knowledge from various posters from within their own industries is one of the things that I find interesting and useful on this forum.

30 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Not wanting to crawl, but I've always enjoyed reading your view on retail both here and on TOS.  I think the depth of knowledge from various posters from within their own industries is one of the things that I find interesting and useful on this forum.

Looking at the state of UK retail Id say that everyone involved in it knows shit.

Its idiots all the way down.

DownwardSpiral

The mammoth JL in Cardiff will probably linger on - plenty of people mulling around in there again. Whether that is translating into sales or not, I have no idea.

Will be interesting to see if the Basingstoke site survives - in a massive site along with a Waitrose. Will of course be dependent upon the wider fortunes of Amazingstoke in terms of the future of the London commuter belt (as things stand, not looking great).

Waitrose Caldicot is looking sorry for itself - it reminded me of Waitrose Cadoxton (Barry) before it shut down (was never really on brand and felt like an old Safeway). Wouldn’t be surprised to see that go in Caldicot, leaving just a big fuck off Asda in the town centre.

15 minutes ago, DownwardSpiral said:

The mammoth JL in Cardiff will probably linger on - plenty of people mulling around in there again. Whether that is translating into sales or not, I have no idea.

Will be interesting to see if the Basingstoke site survives - in a massive site along with a Waitrose. Will of course be dependent upon the wider fortunes of Amazingstoke in terms of the future of the London commuter belt (as things stand, not looking great).

Waitrose Caldicot is looking sorry for itself - it reminded me of Waitrose Cadoxton (Barry) before it shut down (was never really on brand and felt like an old Safeway). Wouldn’t be surprised to see that go in Caldicot, leaving just a big fuck off Asda in the town centre.

They opened a Waitrose in Barry?!? That's Barry, Wales?

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Looking at the state of UK retail Id say that everyone involved in it knows shit.

Its idiots all the way down.

But but they've all got MBAs.

On 29/04/2020 at 11:22, spunko said:

@spygirl not convinced about Ashford. There's loads of wealthy boomers if you go a few miles outside the slummy bits of Ashford.

I'm guessing same with Newbury.

Newbury is an interesting one.

First, you're right -- there are lots of wealthy boomers.

But also, Newbury has benefited from all the wonderful shopping centres they've put into town centres recently.  So, the posh folk from east, west, south and (sort-of) north* all go to Newbury specifically because it still has an old-style high street.

[*ie, Oracle, Festival Place, etc.  The exception is Oxford -- that's been 'spoilt' by being too touristy]

All that said, I'm not sure that those people will be shopping in the JL* -- they go to the town to drink coffee and look in smaller shops.

[* But I don't know, because I've not actually been in a JL for years]

Archived