DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Stop the pigeon!

spygirl

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52459487

Europe's pigeons risk starvation, warns an animal rights group in Germany. That's because the humans who normally feed them or drop morsels of food on the streets are stuck at home. The group, while acknowledging that pigeons are a problem for many cities, says they should not be allowed to die a painful death.

In Krakow, Poland, one animal welfare organisation is coming out specially to feed the flocks abandoned for the time being.

Good. Fucking well rid.

Thombleached

Surely the kind of corn-syrup laden shit that people drop on the high-streets will kill them off quicker than starvation

Edited by Thombleached

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

The rats seem to be doing fine, and I'm sure the pigeons will survive.

Our nearby cattle market has continued throughout. Plenty of rats in there... all of which will be looking for a new home when they demolish it soon to build houses.

Well if anyone is interested in the past few weeks I have seen a roe deer (never seen one before in my village), a hare, and possibly a Dartford Warbler. The latter being slightly strange as there is no heath or gorse for miles, being on heavy clay.

I may have seen all of these things regardless if I'd spent more time at home, though. Hard to tell.

In any case, it doesn't matter, this blip will soon be a footnote in history and consumerism will ravage on.

• Agree 4

Austin Allegro

It always amuses me that some people think wild animals need to be fed by humans or they will die out.

You don't see them throwing fish food into the rivers, lakes and seas to help the fish though. Think of the poor starving halibuts!

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

21 minutes ago, spunko said:

roe deer (never seen one before in my village), a hare, and possibly a Dartford Warbler.

1) Dog with horns

2) Big rabbit

3) Some dicky bird.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

The rats seem to be doing fine, and I'm sure the pigeons will survive.

People put food for "birds" by the canal bridge near here and up at Daisy Nook too.
The rats then get huge and tame and don't run away as quickly as they should. They stop and stare at you, long enough for you to get a camera out and take several photos.

• Agree 1

The Generation Game
1 hour ago, Thombleached said:

Surely the kind of corn-syrup laden shit that people drop on the high-streets will kill them off quicker than starvation

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Mental Floss

We had feral pigeons in the garden yesterday. Never seen that before. The Wood Pigeons fucked them off in short order. Fucking townies!

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

Lightly Toasted
43 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

It always amuses me that some people think wild animals need to be fed by humans or they will die out.

You don't see them throwing fish food into the rivers, lakes and seas to help the fish though. Think of the poor starving halibuts!

They're not really wild though. It's a classic case of exceeding an artificially-boosted carrying capacity.

Locally I'm seeing a lot more red kites drifting around looking for dinner. The feeding station in Powys says they're still feeding but it has to be an expensive business with no tourists to pay the meat bill, I wonder if they've cut back meaning the kites have to roam more widely.

Shame the red kites can't meet up with the feral pigeons...

Edited by Lightly Toasted

30 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

They're not really wild though. It's a classic case of exceeding an artificially-boosted carrying capacity.

Locally I'm seeing a lot more red kites drifting around looking for dinner. The feeding station in Powys says they're still feeding but it has to be an expensive business with no tourists to pay the meat bill, I wonder if they've cut back meaning the kites have to roam more widely.

Shame the red kites can't meet up with the feral pigeons...

Hmm... does any cheap meat going in Wales? 

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

We took the opposite approach in the oceans

We ate most of the halibuts to ensure there is more natural food for those few halibut remaining

Edited by Hopeful

10 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Don't agree with that at all. Sometimes we have destroyed their habitats wholesale, least we can do is chuck them some bird seed in our gardens...