• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Litter picking / litter tax

I know this isn't a very DOSBODS thread, as most people here don't want to help "the man"... but I quite enjoy litterpicking. Yes yes virtue signalling etc etc. But it's quite relaxing, if you select the right spots. (I wouldn't enjoy it on a dual carriageway for example, or in the depths of winter).

As I've alluded to before on here, what has struck me is that it's maybe 80-85% the same products that gets slung out the car/van window:

• Fosters cans
  • Red Bull cans
  • Budweiser cans
  • McDonalds wrappers
  • Coke cans (always the full-fat ones)

Question for the older posters: has there ever been/ever been a suggestion of introducing/ a UK litter tax? It strikes me that, if ONLY these 5x products were to be directly taxed to cover cleanup costs, (and not to the point where it was excessive so people would just to switch to other brands and litter with those), -- something like 1-2p litter tax per product; at this price few would notice any difference IMO. 

McDonalds claims to serve (pre-covid) 3.5M 'meals' a day in the UK, so that'd be £35 - £70k a day in extra taxation. If ALL of this went to UKGOV who then divvied it up between all local councils, and forced them to spend it ONLY on clearing up litter, would this ever work?

I'm not keen on taxation to solve problems but I really don't think there is any other way, short of gassing litterbugs with Zyklon B.

15 minutes ago, spunko said:

I know this isn't a very DOSBODS thread, as most people here don't want to help "the man"... but I quite enjoy litterpicking. Yes yes virtue signalling etc etc. But it's quite relaxing, if you select the right spots. (I wouldn't enjoy it on a dual carriageway for example, or in the depths of winter).

As I've alluded to before on here, what has struck me is that it's maybe 80-85% the same products that gets slung out the car/van window:

• Fosters cans
  • Red Bull cans
  • Budweiser cans
  • McDonalds wrappers
  • Coke cans (always the full-fat ones)

Question for the older posters: has there ever been/ever been a suggestion of introducing/ a UK litter tax? It strikes me that, if ONLY these 5x products were to be directly taxed to cover cleanup costs, (and not to the point where it was excessive so people would just to switch to other brands and litter with those), -- something like 1-2p litter tax per product; at this price few would notice any difference IMO. 

McDonalds claims to serve (pre-covid) 3.5M 'meals' a day in the UK, so that'd be £35 - £70k a day in extra taxation. If ALL of this went to UKGOV who then divvied it up between all local councils, and forced them to spend it ONLY on clearing up litter, would this ever work?

I'm not keen on taxation to solve problems but I really don't think there is any other way, short of gassing litterbugs with Zyklon B.

I always pick up a few bits of litter when out for a walk or at the beach.Even once piece is one less piece in the environment.

Lovely, sweet idea about giving the councils money.

I expect the councils will spend it on signage to encourage the public to pick up some litter.

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I always pick up a few bits of litter when out for a walk or at the beach.Even once piece is one less piece in the environment.

Lovely, sweet idea about giving the councils money.

I expect the councils will spend it on signage to encourage the public to pick up some litter.

Yes you might be right. But I can't think of any other solution. It's obvious a sizeable percentage of the population don't give a toss about their surroundings.

There was this idea mooted some years back, that every barcode would be traceable back to whoever bought it i.e. via your debit card. Perhaps some sort of Big Brother system like that would stop people chucking litter, all the negatives aside.

I think it must be regional..  around here it’s mostly crisp packets, empty bottles of single malt whiskey and McDonalds wrappers.

It’s the one thing I do to give back to the community..  once a year I do the litter pick (except this year it was cancelled because Covid).

That’s about as involved as I like to get with anything “village”.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, spunko said:

Yes you might be right. But I can't think of any other solution. It's obvious a sizeable percentage of the population don't give a toss about their surroundings.

There was this idea mooted some years back, that every barcode would be traceable back to whoever bought it i.e. via your debit card. Perhaps some sort of Big Brother system like that would stop people chucking litter, all the negatives aside.

When I was a kid the UK pavements were covered in dog shit. You had to watch where you were walking in towns all the time.

We transfromed the country over the acceptability of dog shit on pavements.

(unfortunately, that transformation for the better in towns has morphed into plastic bags swinging from trees or discarded in piles by gateposts in the countryside, a place where dogshit in the wild doesn't really matter.)

Go to the northern coast of France and walk along a promenade and it's like going back 45 years in the UK - dog shit everywhere.

So if we can shame people into not letting their dog shit on pavements in the UK,

We surely, should be able to shame people into not littering.

Where there is a will there is a way.

Edited by Hopeful

No point taxing the companies, they don't throw the litter away, it is the morons who chuck it or the one that baffles me bag dog shit then chuck the bag on the floor or in a bush.

I don't count litter-picking as virtue-signalling since it is actually doing something good, usually unnoticed - the magic fairy made the litter disappear.

Posted (edited)

On the basis of the material we could call it the CT tax. I’ll let you lot decide on the C but I have my views...

Edited by TheNickos

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I think it must be regional..  around here it’s mostly crisp packets, empty bottles of single malt whiskey and McDonalds wrappers.

It’s the one thing I do to give back to the community..  once a year I do the litter pick (except this year it was cancelled because Covid).

That’s about as involved as I like to get with anything “village”.

What kind of swanky place has the local litter louts purchasing bottles of single maltxD

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

You need to start shooting people who drop litter.

Would you be expected to dispose of the body in the appropriate coloured bin after doing that?

3 minutes ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

What kind of swanky place has the local litter louts purchasing bottles of single maltxD

My guess..  local executive alcoholics on their way home to their families after work. 

It's a relatively well off area (ourselves excepted).

We had a load of brambles running down the side of our business site for years. Good 25M or so with a lot of rooms facing onto it across a couple of levels. Once I got them cleared so I could put a concrete path down I realised a number of the staff (from the canteen area) seemingly couldn't be arsed to take their rubbish to the bin (2M away?) and therefore just chucked their rubbish out of the canteen window into the undergrowth. The old lab technician obviously had a predilection for lobbing samples out the window as there were dozens and dozens underneath the lab window...it honestly made me look at people I work with differently. How slovenly do you have to be to have so little regard for the environment and to lob something out of a window? We half filled a 10 cubic yard skip with all the rubbish, was disgusted. But not surprised. The smokers can't be arsed to put their fag ends in the ash tray bin in the smoke shelter. People who think it is appropriate to smear their own faeces down the sides of the toilet wall and back of the door. Nothing surprises me anymore. My biggest bugbear actually is lazy f**kers that can't even be arsed to put the sugar/tea bags/coffee into the pots when we run out. Some people will do nothing "community minded" if nothing is in it for them directly. They want their arse wiped, s**t cleaned up after them, litter picked up behind them etc.

Posted (edited)

Us brits are amateurs at litter and fly tipping, if you want to see how the professionals do it then go to some random eastern europe shithole especially anywhere out in the sticks.

Edited by goldbug9999

1 hour ago, dgul said:

It would be pretty typical and local councils would love it.

A minority of people do bad stuff, everyone has to pay and the council gets the money.

Yes.

I would seriously doubt that anybody on here drops litter.

My estimation would be that maybe 5% - 10% of people do it because they are basically scum who don't care for anything beyond themselves.  The sort that buys a puupy for Christmas and then chucks it out of a car when they go on holiday in the summer.

Campaigns (Keep Britain Tidy, Mrs Baggit) or social pressure are utterly pointless because the people who will take any notice of them aren't littering in the first place and the scum ignore them.

The only way that litter will be significantly reduced will be when everybody, particularly the benefit sucking scum, gets a lot a poorer.

No cars, no takeaways, no sweeties, no canned drink, no fags no drugs because no money.

Which will be precipitated by an energy crisis which has no relief and no end.

There was no litter unbtil the late nineteenth century and the rewind is coming.

10 minutes ago, Libspero said:

My guess..  local executive alcoholics on their way home to their families after work. 

It's a relatively well off area (ourselves excepted).

Fascinating - the bag of crisps left over from the Tesco lunchtime meal deal followed by a Big Mac, large fries and an apple flapjack all washed down with a bottle of Gley Moray matured in a port cask, all because they don't like the home cooking! 

41 minutes ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

Would you be expected to dispose of the body in the appropriate coloured bin after doing that?

Yes if course. You'd probably only have to pretend to shoot one and the rest would behave.

It's something you cannot solve in a multicultural society where no common societal bond exists.In order to stop it you need disapproval from the community, as well as the ability for busybodies to interfere at the point of litter chucking without fear of reprisal - neither possible in a fractured society.

I would recognise that it is not curable in the UK of today until the population becomes more homogenous and just move on.  If you want to pick up litter, fine.

And re the dogshit thing - dog owners tend to be from a certain demographic.  I guarantee you if dogs were widely owned by non-natives in large numbers, dogshit would be still all over the pavement.  It still is in some areas - chavdom being an example.

How about a good old fashined deposit scheme?

When I was a kid back in the 1970s, if you saw a discarded soft drink bottle, it was worth picking up and taking it to a shop to collect the deposit.  If there was a 10p or 20p deposit on every aluminium can and plastic bottle, they would soon find their way back in to the recycling system.

Incidentally Ocado, pay 5p for every carrier bag you hand back to the driver (they don't have to be Ocado bags either) and they recycle them in to new ones.  This means that effectively, they have got around the 5p carrier bag charge, but I imagine they just put the prices up on the goods to cover it, but at least it makes it easy to dispose of them responsibly.  Sadly, due to Covid-19, they have suspended this scheme so mine are now piling up.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

It’s a sign of the uneducated, unthinking. It’s imho, either teens, enrichers or scummy day trippers from the conurbations. 

I agree, shoot the feckers on sight. 

Stuck record time but it's pikeys round here. The litter builds up much quicker on the roads where they live but curiously never right outside their gate. ALWAYS spotless there 

They're the only ones who can drink Fosters openly and drive, they know they'll never get stopped.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

It’s a sign of the uneducated, unthinking. It’s imho, either teens, enrichers or scummy day trippers from the conurbations. 

I agree, shoot the feckers on sight. 

2 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Us brits are amateurs at litter and fly tipping, if you want to see how the professionals do it then go to some random eastern europe shithole especially anywhere out in the sticks.

Yes, it’s pikeys and EEs that are the worst (if not the only) culprits. A few of our Brit scum have always done it, but the low-value incomers have brought it to a new level. 

I’m up for shooting them if I can avoid prison for doing so. 

What about an AI controlled anti-tank weapon on motorway bridges that detects things being thrown from windows and delivers a shell through the windscreen? You’d watch the kids carefully then, eh?

(Yes alright, childish fantasy, but I fucking HATE litterers)

Tourists are the main litter culprits in my area, there's always far more litter around during tourist season even though the local council increases their litter picking patrols during the season... but of course ''economic benefits of tourism''

The other rather frustrating cause of litter in my area is the useless recycle boxes and the idiots who put them out when strong wind are forecast overnight, here we have them stacked in three on a wheeled trolley so very easily blown over... all it takes is one or two of them to get blown over and you've instantly got months worth of litter scattered for hundreds of yards along the roadside verges and hedgerows.