• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Idiocrat

The Buy British List (or at least not Chinese)

Well, I won't be buying a Chinese motorbike, or guitar, as they haven't quite got the hang of it yet, but for electrical goods, well do your best, because a lot of it is outsourced to China, whatever the maker's logo.

Trumpy is rather contradictory on this, as nobody told him Apple iTat is all from China, and a lot of American firms outsource there, and it is just business.

Posted (edited)

Stuff I've got - I'll add to the list if I can remember more.

Aiguille - rucksacks and other outdoor gear.  I have two of their rucksacks and they're excellent.

Lusso - cycling clothes.  I have loads of their stuff - all great.

Hope - bike stuff.  I used Hope components where I could on my main mountain bike - nearly ten years later it's still all working perfectly.

Reynolds - bike frame tubing.  I have a "few" bikes made from Reynolds tube sets.

Edited by Big Boy

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

Hope - bike stuff.  I used Hope components where I could on my main mountain bike - nearly ten years later it's still all working perfectly.

I've got a set of M4s (the original 2 piece caliper, 4 pad ones) on my hardtail that I've had for nearly 20 years, still going strong. 

Admittedly I've rebuilt them a couple of times, which is easy with Hope as they provide rebuild kits and each tiny part is available to buy individually, rather than just whole assemblies.

Edited by Boglet

Great thread, and some links with great threads.  I'm in the market for some running treads so will take a look at these.

One thing though... which I'm trying to think if I am justified in thinking.  Does anyone sort of resent paying the 'British premium' as it's likely due to the rent and rates (and mortages) that underpin our quite frankly ridiculous housing market?  As such the product is without doubt likely to be far better quality, but from a clout per quid perspective possibly isn't as good value as going for mid-range Chinese mass produced 'tat'.  The premium paid is then going straight into the landlords and/or bankers pockets.

Then I thought the housing market in China is hardly cheap, but I'm only alluding that thought to our Western media - there are probably vast differences in China's cheapest housing stock and that of the major cities.

Posted (edited)

Tough call this one....

I'm a cycling fan but all the good bike bits are from abroad.....the likes of Giant and Merida make some cracking carbon frames....in China and Taiwan

Take 'Team Sky drug taking cheating bastards' with Sir Bradley 'don't overtake me Chris cos I'm the druggie boss at the mo' cunt - they win cos their budget allows them to buy the best drug advisers aka Doctors :P

Mini is a good product but only cos of the German engines xD

PS maybe buy from Taiwan rather than China?? O.o

Edited by confused

4 minutes ago, confused said:

Tough call this one....

I'm a cycling fan but all the good bike bits are from abroad.....the likes of Giant and Merida make some cracking carbon frames....in China and Taiwan

Take 'Team Sky drug taking cheating bastards' with Sir Bradley 'don't overtake me Chris cos I'm the druggie boss at the mo' cunt - they win cos their budget allows them to buy the best drug advisers aka Doctors :P

Mini is a good product but only cos of the German engines xD

Pun intended?

1 minute ago, longtomsilver said:

Frog Bikes, while most of the components will come from Taiwan and China they are now assembled in the UK.

For some reason, Taiwan have been making good quality tools, and other "stuff" for sometime. Mainland China is catching up.

43 minutes ago, Boglet said:

I've got a set of M4s (the original 2 piece caliper, 4 pad ones) on my hardtail that I've had for nearly 20 years, still going strong. 

Admittedly I've rebuilt them a couple of times, which is easy with Hope as they provide rebuild kits and each tiny part is available to buy individually, rather than just whole assemblies.

I've replaced my rear hub bearings in that time.  It's very easy to do with a Hope hub, took just minutes - not like cup and cone.

5 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

I've replaced my rear hub bearings in that time.  It's very easy to do with a Hope hub, took just minutes - not like cup and cone.

I can see this POV but technology advances equals 'need to upgrade'.....ie I want a nice carbon frame with a 'through axle' :)

When I'm buying something it's all about VFM for me.....I don't believe British products offer any value anymore......

Would I buy this British product at £2699 https://www.halfords.com/bikes/electric-bikes/boardman-adv-8.9e-mens-adventure-electric-bike-136102.html

or this French one at half the price https://www.monvelo.com/produit/sunn-volt-s1-2019/

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Well, I won't be buying a Chinese motorbike

I would love to buy an Indian made motorbike and a Yamaha Wr155 made in Indonesia cos they're dirt cheap.......but the Indian fookers don't let foreigners buy motorbikes, quite ironic don't you think...

1 minute ago, confused said:

I would love to buy an Indian made motorbike and a Yamaha Wr155 made in Indonesia cos they're dirt cheap.......but the Indian fookers don't let foreigners buy motorbikes, quite ironic don't you think...

There's an Enfield shop in Peterborough, and a few more I believe.

I've got a Berghaus fleece that has a 'Made in the UK' label. I think I bought it about 25 years ago and it's still going strong although I wear it sparingly these days. I presume the kit is now made abroad somewhere.

Our house is full of mid century retro furniture ( a lot of it UK made) and we have very little new or newish furniture. I'm utterly amazed that more people don't buy second hand furniture, whether mid century or Victorian/Edwardian. It can be very good value and very well made. For example, we recently bought a late 1950's E. Gomme oak wardrobe for one of our bedrooms. Bought from a local auction house. In perfect order (even had the original key) and just needed a light sand and wax. Cost was £18 including commisson!!

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

There's an Enfield shop in Peterborough, and a few more I believe.

Sure, yes 'Royal Enfield' made in India, twice the price in UK!!! That's robbery!!! I want to go to India, buy it there and ride it back, but I can't......and sadly one of the reasons is being British makes it dangerous and or impossible to travel in Pakistan and Iran......God Bless the British Empire and the AngloAmerican war mongers eh? :P 

20 minutes ago, confused said:

I can see this POV but technology advances equals 'need to upgrade'.....ie I want a nice carbon frame with a 'through axle' :)

Hope (probably) have you covered here too, they sell various axle conversion kits, I changed a QR one to 20mm for a few quid.

13 minutes ago, confused said:

Sure, yes 'Royal Enfield' made in India, twice the price in UK!!! That's robbery!!! I want to go to India, buy it there and ride it back, but I can't......and sadly one of the reasons is being British makes it dangerous and or impossible to travel in Pakistan and Iran......God Bless the British Empire and the AngloAmerican war mongers eh? :P 

I believe they are slightly modified for the European market (emissions?). Yes they are much cheaper in India. Iwent to Pakistan OK, but I had to get a visa in advance.

2 hours ago, The Idiocrat said:

Following posts in the Post Bat Flu Resolutions thread started by @Sugarlips, it seems there might be a few people who want to avoid buying Chinese goods (and supporting the CCP) and ideally Buy British (by this I mean actually Made in the UK, but company can be foreign-owned). So this thread is intended for people to recommend products manufactured in the UK that people might not know about and they would normally buy foreign or probably Chinese. So basically, stuff we did not know was made in the UK and is usually imported. Also, please ask on here if you are intending on buying some kind of imported item and would like to ask people if they know of a UK-made equivalent. Yes, the UK stuff is often more expensive, but many will be willing to pay the premium, often for stuff that should last longer anyway so DOSBODS cheapskates could say it's cheaper over the long term!

Couple of examples from the other thread:

Pots and Pans (an alternative to premium ones like Le Creuset or Circulon)
Netherton Foundry - made in Shropshire

Trainers (alternative to Adidas, NIke and all the Chinese-made crap) - hail @Hail the Tripod:
New Balance Products Made in UK & USA (this link is only UK?USA-made - other products from them are made elsewhere)

Please post others you know!

I think a petition to force online retailers to clearly state country of origin would be a good start. 

People often say yes but if its assembled in the UK from Chinese parts its effectively Chinese. This is true but if you get the final assembly back to this country for starters it gives local suppliers an opportunity to supply into the process. No chance of that for Mr West Midlands widget manufacturer dealing with Mr Wang of Wuhan. 

Ive been saying the same thing on my Aussie forum / FB as I'm a dual national. 

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I think a petition to force online retailers to clearly state country of origin would be a good start. 

People often say yes but if its assembled in the UK from Chinese parts its effectively Chinese. This is true but if you get the final assembly back to this country for starters it gives local suppliers an opportunity to supply into the process. No chance of that for Mr West Midlands widget manufacturer dealing with Mr Wang of Wuhan. 

Ive been saying the same thing on my Aussie forum / FB as I'm a dual national. 

Kurt,

Can I ask which Aussie forum? It would be good to find one that gives a handle on what's happening over there.