DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Office To Let

spygirl

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/04/2020 at 12:02, stop_the_craziness said:

Turn 'em all into desirable/luxury city centre flats innit.

It should be obvious but with no need to commute to an office in a city centre most people will have zero interest in living in said city centre.

My commute of 10ft to the spare room is what most people would desire.

24 minutes ago, eek said:

It should be obvious but with no need to commute to an office in a city centre most people will have zero interest in living in said city centre.

My commute of 10ft to the spare room is what most people would desire.

Detroit.

On 30/04/2020 at 11:07, spygirl said:

Massive implications. For many years at my place everyone was forced to come into the office. Over a month now I am working from home and if anything, I am doing more. 

I guess the only downside is training, it's much easier to come up to someone and show them what to do in person. I guess there is screen screen sharing for that, will cross that bridge when we come to it. 

1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

Massive implications. For many years at my place everyone was forced to come into the office. Over a month now I am working from home and if anything, I am doing more. 

I'm retired now but when I was working I was desperate to be able to work from home to no avail.  It would have saved the corporate c*** and the inane co-workers and hence saved my sanity plus a pointless commute when you know it's a complete waste of time and effort.

As I detest commuting I tend to rent a place close to wherever my latest contract takes me. My shortest commute was 68 seconds door to door.

One day the office internet connection failed but my PC was still connected, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that it had automatically switched to my home WiFi.

2 hours ago, Option5 said:

As I detest commuting I tend to rent a place close to wherever my latest contract takes me. My shortest commute was 68 seconds door to door.

One day the office internet connection failed but my PC was still connected, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that it had automatically switched to my home WiFi.

I dont mind a train commute of up to 1h- providing someelse pays...

An ideal commute is a short ish walk - 20m. Or short drive 15m - assuming theres no congestion and plentiful parking.

When commutes go over 40m, mainly sitting in a car, they start being a problem.

I know a fair few people who, getting to a certain age or position, whove jacked in jobs to shorten their commute.

A recent one dropped a 50m drive to 10m walk. Same money. No brainer as those 50m add up 8h a week, giving him a virtual extra day off a week and an extra 400/month spends.

There are some towns in m4 corridor where the local work force I around 75% of jobs. Years ago, I worked in an office of ~100. I was the only person living within 10miles of the office.

2 hours ago, janch said:

I'm retired now but when I was working I was desperate to be able to work from home to no avail.  It would have saved the corporate c*** and the inane co-workers and hence saved my sanity plus a pointless commute when you know it's a complete waste of time and effort.

Even if it's a 50% change, half in, half at home, office space can contract a lot.

Wight Flight

Having worked from home for the last 9 years, I now have a 15 minute drive to work.

I actually prefer this. I found some weeks, looking back, I never actually left the house.

It does help that my commute now is along some beautiful coastal roads and traffic jams simply don't exist.

Sugarlips

I recall an observation recently on here that for some employers it’s only a short leap in their thinking from realizing their workforce can operate from home to them realizing their workforce can operate from home, in Mumbai....

33 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

I recall an observation recently on here that for some employers it’s only a short leap in their thinking from realizing their workforce can operate from home to them realizing their workforce can operate from home, in Mumbai....

Now, they cant.

Everything is shit about Mumbai.

electrical-wires-hang-from-a-post-in-the

4 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

That's always been the case and it's why contractors earnt a premium as the premium came from wanting someone good (or at least good enough) on site. Now if all you want is for the work to be done, you may as well go to the cheapest place to get the work done - although in the case of IT I would be using Belarus or Latvia rather than the India.

This reminds me, has anyone seen the wig?

WeWork’s woes cause mortgage-backed bonds to tumble

Office provider’s move to skip rent payments and renegotiate leases knocks CMBS market

https://www.ft.com/content/d3a586c4-9200-4e49-85ae-658b00aa3942

WeWokprk is like a massive Airbnb host who's took on ling leases, hoping to slice n dice them up for higher, shorter leases.

Not looking a great model at the mo.

The declines in the CMBS market come as WeWork tenants complain of difficulty cancelling leases or freezing rent payments. Michelle Orman, who rents space in a WeWork office in Brooklyn, New York for her boutique public relations and communications firm, told the Financial Times that she will not renew her lease after May.

Ms Orman said she had tried to cancel sooner, as she is unable to go to the office in the current environment. In the end, she said she negotiated a reduced rent bill for May. Ms Orman said she had “no intention of going back to [WeWork] after this experience . . . I can’t support a business that turns its back on entrepreneurs and small businesses.”

From comments

Same experience with TOG (The Office Group) in London offered us no reductions in rent actually wanted a 5% price increase and a commitment for an extra 3 months for any reductions. Decided to just not renew the contract when it ends in June and wait until the conditions completely go back to normal before we end work from home and find a new offices with better terms. Right now we look more productive as a company work from home in any case, when we do go back to an office will be a much smaller space with staff working more from home. 

On 02/05/2020 at 23:05, Wight Flight said:

.. and traffic jams simply don't exist.

In the IW? That wasn't what I heard. Are you in the West?

Was going to buy a place over there last year but it fell thru in Jan. Pretty lucky all things considered.

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, CVG said:

In the IW? That wasn't what I heard. Are you in the West?

Was going to buy a place over there last year but it fell thru in Jan. Pretty lucky all things considered.

No. Ryde way.

I think it does get a bit clogged up in Newport in the rush hour but that is like visiting another county!

that happens all the time round my way..

but if the offices are all turning into flats, where are all the jobs? more houses, less offices? makes no sense..

they must all be rental properties for mcdonalds delivery drivers

stop_the_craziness
6 hours ago, macca said:

but if the offices are all turning into flats, where are all the jobs? more houses, less offices? makes no sense..

Allegedly a proportion of the "commuter flats" they built in Stevenage are rented as sex n drugs bases because of their speedy links to King's Cross

On 10/05/2020 at 20:38, spygirl said:

WeWork’s woes cause mortgage-backed bonds to tumble

Office provider’s move to skip rent payments and renegotiate leases knocks CMBS market

https://www.ft.com/content/d3a586c4-9200-4e49-85ae-658b00aa3942

WeWokprk is like a massive Airbnb host who's took on ling leases, hoping to slice n dice them up for higher, shorter leases.

It never was, but because it pretended to be a dotCom (mark whatever this years version is) it convinced Softbank to lend it billions. Similar companies such as Regus have a habit of going belly up ever few years because serviced offices were a boom time industry. This time around I'm struggling as to why you would want an office except to put a telesales team in.

11 hours ago, macca said:

80% of money creation in this country is purely for housing. Housing is the economy/jobs. Everything else is just ancillary. Every office/factory/warehouse could disappear tomorrow, as long as they continue to print money out of thin air for mortgages the economy will continue to grow.

sancho panza
35 minutes ago, gibbon said:

80% of money creation in this country is purely for housing. Housing is the economy/jobs. Everything else is just ancillary. Every office/factory/warehouse could disappear tomorrow, as long as they continue to print money out of thin air for mortgages the economy will continue to grow.

was jsut in Leicester this morning.One of the EA's had some staff in.I didn't feel sorry for them.We've descended into a sitaution economically where we've elevated financial parasites above productive parts of the economy and then doubled down on their multiple failings that led to 2008/9 to create an even bigger bubble 2020.

I honestly can see a situation where a good few EA chains jsut quite simply don't reopen.Very few are going to be buying hosues in the nsxt year and those that do will likely do so for substatianlly reduced prices.

Old school trading under threat as insurers rethink life at Lloyd’s

Coronavirus forces one of the last face-to-face financial markets to go digital

https://www.ft.com/content/e51324dc-2084-4915-b98d-42fac7819b2f

2defe461-44d5-4d62-bfc6-13777d17c460.jpg

On a regular day, about 7,000 people would funnel through the doors of Lloyd’s of London and make their way to the insurance market’s giant four-storey underwriting room. There, they would discuss policies for clients around the world, make new contacts and catch up with industry gossip, just as they have done for more than 300 years, since the market was founded in a coffee shop.

Swapping the Lloyd’s Building for their living rooms and home offices has forced them to finally adopt an electronic trading system that was initially rebuffed by some insurers and brokers, who preferred the traditional paper-based process.

The PPL platform, which allows insurance policies to be created electronically rather than on paper, was introduced into the London insurance market in 2016. Two years later Lloyd’s had to start forcing insurers to use it. But since the crisis began, usage has hit a record high.

A year ago, the system was being used for about 970 policies per week in Lloyd’s and the wider London insurance market. That has risen to almost 3,500.

stop_the_craziness
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

Old school trading under threat as insurers rethink life at Lloyd’s

Coronavirus forces one of the last face-to-face financial markets to go digital

https://www.ft.com/content/e51324dc-2084-4915-b98d-42fac7819b2f

2defe461-44d5-4d62-bfc6-13777d17c460.jpg

On a regular day, about 7,000 people would funnel through the doors of Lloyd’s of London and make their way to the insurance market’s giant four-storey underwriting room. There, they would discuss policies for clients around the world, make new contacts and catch up with industry gossip, just as they have done for more than 300 years, since the market was founded in a coffee shop.

Swapping the Lloyd’s Building for their living rooms and home offices has forced them to finally adopt an electronic trading system that was initially rebuffed by some insurers and brokers, who preferred the traditional paper-based process.

The PPL platform, which allows insurance policies to be created electronically rather than on paper, was introduced into the London insurance market in 2016. Two years later Lloyd’s had to start forcing insurers to use it. But since the crisis began, usage has hit a record high.

A year ago, the system was being used for about 970 policies per week in Lloyd’s and the wider London insurance market. That has risen to almost 3,500.

Off topic, but I don't understand the connection between the picture and the words.  Isn't that picture of the old Spitalfields Market when it got its pubs n restaurants makeover a million years ago?

14 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Off topic, but I don't understand the connection between the picture and the words.  Isn't that picture of the old Spitalfields Market when it got its pubs n restaurants makeover a million years ago?

Its Leadenhall market, nearby LLoyds.

https://www.leadenhallmarket.co.uk/

stop_the_craziness

Ahh, mixing up my markets.  It's been a long time since I've left my village :CryBaby:

Archived