• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WorkingPoor

Future of Gibraltar at stake

It appears that the EU have inserted a clause in the negotiations giving Spain a veto on Gibraltar in the talks, the Gibraltarians could face a future without any benefits the UK may draw from Brexit negotiations.

Seeing as how they voted 98% to remain and court cases were brought by ex-pats trying to demand a vote after being out of the country for over 15 yrs, i think i'm quite comfortable with this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/future-of-gibraltar-at-stake-in-brexit-negotiations

The EU has put the future of Gibraltarat stake in the coming Brexit negotiations, effectively backing Spain in its centuries-old dispute with the UK over the British overseas territory.

After lobbying from Spanish diplomats, a clause has been inserted in the EU’s draft Brexit negotiating guidelines that appears to allow Spain to exclude Gibraltar from any transitional single market access arrangement or future trade deal with the UK if it is not satisfied with the status of the territory.

This suggests that unless Britain is willing to let its citizens on “the rock” be subject to an inferior economic future than those in the UK, the EU has effectively handed the Spanish government a veto on Britain’s entire future relationship with the bloc.

“The union will stick up for its members, and that means Spain now,” a senior EU official said.

Things are really moving apace! 

I cant see the 27 individual nations in the EU agreeing to a deal. We might as well go to WTO trade rules now.

We could stop paying EU migrants benefits next week and they'd start going home :)

This is only once we actually leave. Spain needs to watch out, or the North Africans will be after Ceuta next.

The clause inserted in the European council’s guidelines says that once the UK leaves the bloc, “no agreement between the EU and the United Kingdom may apply to the territory of Gibraltar without agreement between the Kingdom of Spain and the United Kingdom”.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Possibly we should start formally backing Catalonia's claim for independence.

Let's just cut to the chase, recognise them as a sovereign nation and offer to lend them some nukes :)

I'm sure that would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

It's hardly as if the Spain-Gibraltar-UK relationship has been all sweetness-and-light since '72/'86...

Anyway, it is just an early salvo in the negotiations.  [admittedly the negotiations are starting off at a ludicrous level.  As if we're haggling for a £20k car and the UK has offered £10k and the EU has come back with £100k.  But it'll get sorted because it is both parties interests to come up with something.  And if something isn't come up with then I'm sure life will continue to go on].

16 minutes ago, dgul said:

But it'll get sorted because it is both parties interests to come up with something.

I hope you're right..  nations and politicians are just as good at behaving like school children as, well, school children when it comes to sulking, taking the ball home and blame games.

Perhaps our negotiating position in response should be to offer the Russians a military base in Margate (within easy bombing distance of most European capitals) in exchange for their letting us use Sevastopol to replace our Mediterranean bases?

9 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Perhaps our negotiating position in response should be to offer the Russians a military base in Margate (within easy bombing distance of most European capitals) in exchange for their letting us use Sevastopol to replace our Mediterranean bases?

I doubt even the Ruskies will want to go to Margate. (Though there used to be a fantastic little Thai restaurant there - only had two tables and 8 chairs but was brill)

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Though there used to be a fantastic little Thai restaurant there - only had two tables and 8 chairs but was brill

Did it involve a lot of dancing and "private rooms" ?

51 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I doubt even the Ruskies will want to go to Margate. (Though there used to be a fantastic little Thai restaurant there - only had two tables and 8 chairs but was brill)

Is The Great Raymondo still playing at The Mardi Gras?

35 minutes ago, spygirl said:

It was stategic.

Gilbratar is a mishmash of odds + sods, hiding under the UKs skirts.

They should ave sorted out Spanish relations a long time ago.

I certainly gave Julia Maria Gonzales-Jimenez

a nice ride

I had blown my load before she got to the end of her name!

15 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I certainly gave Julia Maria Gonzales-Jimenez

a nice ride

I had blown my load before she got to the end of her name!

She sounds nice..  did she work in a Thai restaurant in Margate perchance?

• Similar Content

• By One percent
      https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/apr/11/eu-raid-fox-office-sky-takeover-tom-watson-competition-regulator
      The European commission raided the offices of a number of TV companies across Europe – including Fox and Ziggo Sport, the Dutch subsidiary owned by Vodafone, and the Virgin Media parent Liberty Global – early on Tuesday over concerns that they could “have violated EU antitrust rules that prohibit cartels and restrictive business practices”.
    • By Frank Hovis

Though did stick it out for the day:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5351133/Eastern-Europeans-10-times-faster-farm-work-Brits.html

Now with the honourable exception of @Sgt Hartman I am sure we would all struggle at that; though could also mostly manage one day.  Followed by a week in bed with the heating on.
      It attracts migrant workers, who can earn £800 a week in high season, because it is the equivalent for them of a very well paid job back home which enables them to buy a decent house in their own countries.  For a Brit it will just about cover their rent but lead nowhere; certainly not to owning their own home.
      Despite the lazy Brit / boo to Brexit undercurrents of the article the simple answer is that this work will continue to be carried out  by migrant workers but under the migrant workers' permits that existed pre 1972 for just this purpose rather than through EU freedom of movement.  Problem solved.
    • By Frank Hovis
      As Hungary got their own thread so does Poland deserve one for this.
      I had missed that they have shrugged off the EU threats and made the changes their elected politicians wanted to make to the legal system;; the story is dated 20 Dec and I don't recall seeing it posted also reference was made in the Brexit thread.
      The EU has threatened them with all sorts for this which have never been enforced upon any EU member country.
      And Hungary is backing them.  Brilliant.

https://www.rt.com/news/413791-poland-president-approves-judiciary-reform/

https://www.rt.com/news/413733-eu-launches-sanctions-against-poland/