• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
AlfredTheLittle

Why haven't they shut the airports?

It doesn't make any sense to have a 'lockdown' in the country, but keep airports open at the same time.

Presumably the logic of everyone staying in is that after a few weeks the risk of us infecting others, if we had the virus, has gone. 

If the airports are still open and more people constantly arriving, the time when everyone's been in lockdown for a few weeks will never come. Whenever we're allowed out the virus will immediately start spreading again.

I'm sure it's already been said many times, I just needed to get it off my chest as well :)

It'll be interesting to get a break down of the passengers. Maybe it is air freight.

Or business people doing deals securing PPE, food and medicines, which cannot be done remotely.

There could be journalists, politicians, diplomats etc.

Or armed forces coming back from bases around the world, or flying out there etc.

Airports are still part of key infrastructure.

17 minutes ago, 201p said:

It'll be interesting to get a break down of the passengers. Maybe it is air freight.

Or business people doing deals securing PPE, food and medicines, which cannot be done remotely.

There could be journalists, politicians, diplomats etc.

Or armed forces coming back from bases around the world, or flying out there etc.

Airports are still part of key infrastructure.

Everything you say is reasonable, but there's no logic in shutting down the country half heartedly. 

My preference would be to keep everything open, but if you're going to shut everything do it properly, e.g. new Zealand, we're an island and could easily eradicate the virus if we were serious about it. If we're not serious about it, why are we bothering? It seems like it's just for show

15 minutes ago, NewryH said:

Are people still being quarantined when they arrive (I.e. brits just comin home, not pilots etc)? I remember some were at the start of this.

Ive posted this elsewhere. A friend of a friend has a holiday home in Goa. Been there six months. She managed to get a flight on a state organised flight. Into Heathrow. No checks whatsoever. 

I mentioned some of this in the masks thread, so apologies for cross posting.

AIUI, the major UK airports are owned by furrin pension funds. They leased them for cash, not debt, so they don't have debt servicing costs. They've (guessing) leased each airport for e.g. 50 years and make their return/dividends on landing/takeoff fees, and forcing sheeple to tread the long, winding, star spangled path meandering through consumer hell, just after the x ray queues.

They're not your average BTL landlord, with the bank at their throats. The huge funds that own the UK's airports will only register a dip of months revenues, perhaps up to a year or two. They (debt free) can afford to take a much longer view.

All the infrastructure has to be maintained, even if there were no flights at all. There must still be some freight, repatriations, etc - and politicians love to fly, because they're very important.

The fund owned airports can furlough most of their staff (the customer interacting ones) - at no cost to themselves. There'll be + 90% crashes in landing/takeoff fees, shopping revenue, etc. But water off a ducks back; just reduced dividends for the airport owners.

Minor, regional airports a different kettle of fish. Many must have (big) debt.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I just spent 30 minutes on flightradar watching a C17 Globemaster take off from Stansted and foy out over the Atlantic.

I assume it is filled with Duchy food goodies being sent by Charles to Ginge in LA.

Seen a lot of C17's over the last month or so - all going EW, never noticed them before. Seem too low level  for any sort of Stansted approach though.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Everything you say is reasonable, but there's no logic in shutting down the country half heartedly. 

My preference would be to keep everything open, but if you're going to shut everything do it properly, e.g. new Zealand, we're an island and could easily eradicate the virus if we were serious about it. If we're not serious about it, why are we bothering? It seems like it's just for show

that's the crux of my problem with the lockdown, it's neither strict enough to eliminate the virus, or relaxed enough to save the economy. The path taken seems to be reduce but not eliminate infection rate, destroy the economy, maximise indirect deaths, and gamble on a vaccine to save us. 

Wasn't the Hubei lockdown for 2 months? if we'd been as strict we'd have all but eliminated the virus from the UK by now. As it is, the lockdown seems to have achieved very little other than delay.

Edited by snaga

22 hours ago, Ina said:

I will be very diplomatic here but I suspect that Air India, Air Bangladesh and Pakistan Air could possibly account for a lot.  And China.

It would be really interesting to track this. I live near enough to Heathrow to see traffic in and out and anecdotally a lot of what is flying is indeed from those locations. A surprising amount from the U.S too though.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Seen a lot of C17's over the last month or so - all going EW, never noticed them before. Seem too low level  for any sort of Stansted approach though.

I've got some mates in Suffolk, that I visit often. Lots of interesting looking military stuff flying overhead daily, from big transports to cool tilt-fan hover things - in normal times.

Huge military airport capacity in Suffolk/Norfolk.

Just now, snaga said:

that's the crux of my problem with the lockdown, it's neither strict enough to eliminate the virus, or relaxed enough to save the economy. The path taken seems to be reduce but not eliminate infection rate, destroy the economy, maximise indirect deaths, and gamble on a vaccine to save us. 

Wasn't the Hubei lockdown for 2 months? if we'd been as strict we'd have all but eliminated the virus from UK by now.

But without the rest of the world doing the same it's impossible to maintain the global village approach beloved by tptb. We have literally millions of people in the U.K. that think nothing of effectively commuting from India to the U.K. We can't even pick our own food or so it seems. Without elimination everywhere which is impossible it's a case of managing impacts. The chosen path is to maintain globalism and manage the death rate to avoid bad optics.

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

You can look at FlightRadar like Tulip. It tells all the callsigns.

It's funny that it's called FlightRadar, when perhaps it should be CommercialPlaneTransponder.

Public doesn't have access to flight radar.

8 minutes ago, Mental Floss said:

But without the rest of the world doing the same it's impossible to maintain the global village approach beloved by tptb. We have literally millions of people in the U.K. that think nothing of effectively commuting from India to the U.K. We can't even pick our own food or so it seems. Without elimination everywhere which is impossible it's a case of managing impacts. The chosen path is to maintain globalism and manage the death rate to avoid bad optics.

Yes, this is my view also. I've just been listening to a good talk with Douglas Murray where he predicts that the pandemic may actually be used to promote globalism, ie by pushing the idea that Our Wonderful NHS can't function without mass immigration.

1 minute ago, Heffalump said:

It's funny that it's called FlightRadar, when perhaps it should be CommercialPlaneTransponder.

Public doesn't have access to flight radar.

I'm not sure how it works. I assume we are tracking their personal SatNav.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I'm not sure how it works. I assume we are tracking their personal SatNav.

I'm not sure either, but that's no reason not to pontificate.

I'd guess that it's more of a commercial & private plane transponder, routed to app providers from some kind(s) of global air traffic info amalgamators.

Those few must now be hugely outnumbered by all the unseen military flights, at the moment.

My guess is TBTB worked out that the number of foreign arrivals was actually very small and the risk posed was not worth the bother and cost of enforcing proper border controls. They also do not want any adverse publicity from the leftist media with scenes of headscarved women being marched into quarantine at Heathrow etc. Effectively the border were closed for us by other countries enforcing stricter regulations than us. Eg, why stop planes full of Pakistanis arriving and risk being called racist, if the Pakistanis are stopping them departing?

Occasionally the policy has backfired - eg, the Romanian crop pickers - but incidents like that can just be shouted down with the usual accusations of racism.

Surely it's as easy to catch it from somebody already here, as it is from somebody getting off a plane? It's not like nobody has had it.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Not educated enough to know the make, but huge military cargo type dark grey plane flew from the east over Teeside around 10:30 today. Spike from its nose, refuelling thing I presume