DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

My Beautiful Pubs

MrLibertyRedux

Pub quiz  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Austin Allegro
On 29/05/2020 at 17:07, Stuey said:

Proper ale pubs know that dimpled mugs are just for show, best ale is in straight conic glasses. 

You may be right. The dimpled mug is a 1930s innovation designed to show off the colours of the new lighter bitters of the time. So in beer drinking terms, it's a recent innovation.

According to George Orwell, beer should be drunk from a china pint mug. I have one but it always seems odd drinking beer without being able to see it. I also have a pewter mug (the more upmarket version of the china mug) but I find this imparts an odd taste to the ale.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3

TheBlueCat
4 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

You may be right. The dimpled mug is a 1930s innovation designed to show off the colours of the new lighter bitters of the time. So in beer drinking terms, it's a recent innovation.

According to George Orwell, beer should be drunk from a china pint mug. I have one but it always seems odd drinking beer without being able to see it. I also have a pewter mug (the more upmarket version of the china mug) but I find this imparts an odd taste to the ale.

I like the pewter taste. My dad always drank beer at home from a pewter tankard and when I was a kid I’d blag a mouthful. Reminds me of the old fucker when I drink out of one of his old mugs.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 5

Have we been given any idea of an opening date yet?  I've tried google searches but found nothing much about anything relevant mentioned in the review yesterday.

2 minutes ago, maffo said:

Have we been given any idea of an opening date yet?  I've tried google searches but found nothing much about anything relevant mentioned in the review yesterday.

I think it would be a bit of a pisstake if pubs opened before schools, and there's nothing on the horizon there.

?
A lot of primary schools (and a few secondary?) in Oxfordshire have already gone back this week. I was hoping for a 15th June opening for the pubs :) 

Not so sure about bitters but lager or otherwise really like glasses with a thin lip.... Even crystal is fine.  I'm a picky fuck 😅

For a Guinness hearty stout or bitter I came across these a while back and thought they would work.  Not at current prices which I assume game of thrones and the like have helped inflate.

A real bone horn from the Northlands

https://www.amazon.com/Norse-Tradesman-Tankard-Eternal-Polished/dp/B01GPCKJZC

Or even better but only cosmetically as I don't like the steel so much to drink from

https://ancientreasures.com/products/tankard-beer?variant=31459785605186&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjw8df2BRA3EiwAvfZWaOttTcIE6h39UxK84Z_QdujI2C78QgDJZJMPni2kRpmfsgz1pcuKLRoCH44QAvD_BwE

51vpZN1fwmL._AC_SY400_.jpg

pendant-necklaces-new-arrival-viking-wood-style-beer-mug-as-christmas-gift-dp179-ancient-treasures-viking-norse-mythology-ancient-egypt-thor-odin-mjolnir-celtic-13688807751746_800x.jpg

PaulParanoia
On 02/06/2020 at 07:59, maffo said:

Environment secretary George Eustice has said that outdoor areas and pubs with beer gardens will be the first sites permitted to reopen.

He said on May 29 that such facilities will only open their outdoor areas from July at the earliest.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/pubs-reopen-uk-coronavirus-lockdown-a4445081.html#gsc.tab=0

On 02/06/2020 at 08:26, maffo said:

?
A lot of primary schools (and a few secondary?) in Oxfordshire have already gone back this week. I was hoping for a 15th June opening for the pubs :) 

Schools are not really 'open' unless you count classes of hardly any children, not normal lessons, only 2 days per week with ridiculous rules and the whole school disinfected and fumigated on Wednesdays.

Same as loads of rules, I don't count going to an operating theater to eat a reduced menu in a maximum of 2 group and getting bad service as a restaurant. Going to a pub with 6 people in it and not being able to go to the bar is not what I call going to a pub either.

Edited by planit
  • Agree 4

The Grey Man

Blimey.

Mums net sounds like this place. Times are changing.

PT schooling for a year? Were screwed. Time to focus on risk groups.

Wight Flight
On 01/06/2020 at 19:35, maffo said:

Are they open yet? 😟

Here's today's local hostelry. Very nice lunch break. :Beer:

Waterfront Inn, Shanklin – Updated 2020 Prices

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wight Flight said:

No idea. I will check when I go back tomorrow.

:Beer:

Doesn't matter who it is. Check whether it floats.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Don Coglione
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

No idea. I will check when I go back tomorrow.

:Beer:

Best pull it down and chuck it in the sea, just to be safe.

Enjoy your pint, Bastard.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Best pull it down and chuck it in the sea, just to be safe.

Enjoy your pint, Bastard.

I will. I would have been here but it is only open Thursday to Sunday.

image.jpeg.23056fafadb362f909086c5101b2addb.jpeg

Austin Allegro
16 hours ago, sarahbell said:

FFS. Someone on there says their children's school was due to open but they've now decided to stay shut due to the 'R Rate' going up.

Teachers really appear to be the most cowardly lazy sods on God's green earth sometimes.

• Agree 4

19 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I will. I would have been here but it is only open Thursday to Sunday.

image.jpeg.23056fafadb362f909086c5101b2addb.jpeg

Enjoy your Wight Privilege, pig

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

FFS. Someone on there says their children's school was due to open but they've now decided to stay shut due to the 'R Rate' going up.

Teachers really appear to be the most cowardly lazy sods on God's green earth sometimes.

You just know the R rate will end up being incorporated into their pay formula somehow.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Wight Flight

Hancock stating that 2 metres is important face to face but the distance required is less when side to side and even lower back to back.

I hope I can see where he is going with this...

• Agree 1

Austin Allegro
15 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Hancock stating that 2 metres is important face to face but the distance required is less when side to side and even lower back to back.

All brothels to reopen from 1 July providing only doggie style or spoons is on offer.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Here's today's local hostelry. Very nice lunch break. :Beer:

Waterfront Inn, Shanklin – Updated 2020 Prices

Cunt. (Meant in the nicest, possible way of course :D )

Democorruptcy
24 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

What about if someone has eaten baked beans?