• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

VE day 75th anniversary. Let’s clap the true heroes

Posted (edited)

https://www.veday75.org

We are coming up to the 75th anniversary on the 8th of May (a week tomorrow). Can I suggest that we recognise the sacrifices made by true heroes to bring peace across Europe (and no, I’m not talking about Bliar). 

so, 8pm on the 8th May, can we get back on this thread and raise a glass. 

we will remember. 

@spunko would you mind pinning this until after the event?  

Edited by spunko

I'm having a problem with the clapping at 8pm yhing.

One, I forget the day. I'm ok with dates, as I keep a (work) diary. But I dont track day of the week, and, as I'm working 7 days a week, I'm clueless of the date. Part of that is down to my Netflix, so I dont have any week markers.

Plus, I've not adjusted to it being light at 8pm.

I'm sat down, eating my tea, n the clapping starts. Fuck. Kids, go out n clap, I'm eating.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I'm having a problem with the clapping at 8pm yhing.

One, I forget the day. I'm ok with dates, as I keep a (work) diary. But I dont track day of the week, and, as I'm working 7 days a week, I'm clueless of the date. Part of that is down to my Netflix, so I dont have any week markers.

Plus, I've not adjusted to it being light at 8pm.

I'm sat down, eating my tea, n the clapping starts. Fuck. Kids, go out n clap, I'm eating.

Not planning anything as crude as clapping. We are raising a glass. 

I'd join you guys in the celebration of the VE if it wasn't for the fact that Poland lost the war and lost it badly, much more so than Zee Germans. In fact, I'd argue that the only winners were the US and the USSR, and everyone else lost to a greater or lesser degree. 

But the sacrifices made by the soldiers and civilians alike deserve to be recognised nonetheless. 

53 minutes ago, kibuc said:

I'd join you guys in the celebration of the VE if it wasn't for the fact that Poland lost the war and lost it badly, much more so than Zee Germans. In fact, I'd argue that the only winners were the US and the USSR, and everyone else lost to a greater or lesser degree. 

But the sacrifices made by the soldiers and civilians alike deserve to be recognised nonetheless. 

The Froggies were allowed to keep their empire by the Americans so also ended up as winners in the long run. They packed most of their Jews off to the camps, saved their pretty cities and planned for whoever would eventually be the winner. Then milked Africa for all they could, this is still ongoing, though some of the consequences of that are coming home, literally, to roost now. 

They have the fucking nerve to refer to us as “Albion perfide” !

4 hours ago, kibuc said:

Yep. You guys were shat on. We should have had a far stronger tie between our nations. 

Voting for Brexit was never about Poles taking all our jobs bollocks, for me anyway. 

11 hours ago, kibuc said:

I wonder how many people know of Poland's actions just prior to being invaded.  They're not as innocent as they like to portray themselves.  No-one likes to discuss this part of history, but it's generally not a good idea to cross over your militarily superior neighbour's border and destroy a series of farms, setting crops alight and firing into dwellings.  Nor is it a good idea to repeatedly try to shoot down passenger planes of your militarily superior neighbor, shooting especially hard at those planes you suspect are carrying diplomats.

Gerd Schultze-Rhonhof, former NATO Major General, has detailed what happened on the Polish/German border in August 1939, that very important month that people like to skip over in a very well researched book of his.

If what Schultze-Rhonhof claims is true, the real start of WW2 was when, in August 1939 after repeated ransacking of German farms by Polish cavalry inside Germany, the German army lay in wait and ambushed them on their final attempt, killing 47 Polish soldiers, inside Germany.

12 minutes ago, ElKapitan84 said:

I wonder how many people know of Poland's actions just prior to being invaded.  They're not as innocent as they like to portray themselves.  No-one likes to discuss this part of history, but it's generally not a good idea to cross over your militarily superior neighbour's border and destroy a series of farms, setting crops alight and firing into dwellings.  Nor is it a good idea to repeatedly try to shoot down passenger planes of your militarily superior neighbor, shooting especially hard at those planes you suspect are carrying diplomats.

Gerd Schultze-Rhonhof, former NATO Major General, has detailed what happened on the Polish/German border in August 1939, that very important month that people like to skip over in a very well researched book of his.

If what Schultze-Rhonhof claims is true, the real start of WW2 was when, in August 1939 after repeated ransacking of German farms by Polish cavalry inside Germany, the German army lay in wait and ambushed them on their final attempt, killing 47 Polish soldiers, inside Germany.

History is written by the victors. Same as it ever was. 

11 hours ago, kibuc said:

This is what we will be raising a glass to. The heroics and sacrifices of ordinary people. Fuck the state and jingoism. 

I remember VE night. They lit bonfires on the road in Troon where the Combined Ops base was.

My mother had taken me there hoping that my father would be arriving in his LCT.

As it was, we got a telegram from him saying that he had been diverted to Appledore.

Just saying.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Byron said:

I remember VE night. They lit bonfires on the road in Troon where the Combined Ops base was.

My mother had taken me there hoping that my father would be arriving in his LCT.

As it was, we got a telegram from him saying that he had been diverted to Appledore.

Just saying.

You’re already older than I’ll ever be I suspect! Amazing to remember that night. 

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

12 hours ago, ElKapitan84 said:

Regardless of what was going on at the Polish-German border, I can assure that the WW II did not start because one side stepped over the line and the other side got pissed off :) USSR was planning and preparing for the war throughout the entire 30s, and the Reich wasn't far behind. Whether the events on the border were genuine or just false flags, like the Gleiwitz incident, is immaterial in that context. War had to happen because two most powerful states on the continent wanted it to happen. 

12 hours ago, Hopeful said:

And yes, one is Italian

The references to WW2 make me furious. There is no comparison, none whatsoever. Well done to the frontline nurses and doctors for doing their job in sometimes difficult circumstances, but Covid19 will not install a fascist dictatorship.

The nation is not under threat. Well, not from the outside at least. :PissedOff:

On 30/04/2020 at 20:57, spunko said:

I don't think it's worth pinning it yet but if you can remind me a few days before, then sure.

still worth pinniing this tread ?

just been out and a good few houses have bunting and strange red, white and blue flags hanging and I've heard something about ice creams, is it not all a little late as this country has gone to the dogs.

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

still worth pinniing this tread ?

just been out and a good few houses have bunting and strange red, white and blue flags hanging and I've heard something about ice creams, is it not all a little late as this country has gone to the dogs.

I think so. Let’s recognise the true heroes. This meme springs to mind when identifying true heroes from those that the legacy media would have us believe are heroes. 

400F0812-874F-45D1-AD82-26AE815899D9.jpeg

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

I think so. Let’s recognise the true heroes. This meme springs to mind when identifying true heroes from those that the legacy media would have us believe are heroes. 

400F0812-874F-45D1-AD82-26AE815899D9.jpeg

undoubtedly brave soldier, but he should never have been there, at the time we were told they needed to fight to keep the streets of the UK safe.  

5 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

undoubtedly brave soldier, but he should never have been there, at the time we were told they needed to fight to keep the streets of the UK safe.  

We are lied to constantly. Not the “same” war, well maybe the same hegemonic war, just in a slightly different country.  Weapons of mass destruction?  Chilcot?  Tony Bliar. Why is he still walking the streets. Where is his Nuremberg trial?  

twats are playing us. Same as it ever was. Meanwhile, they still use the working class as canon fodder. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

twats are playing us. Same as it ever was. Meanwhile, they still use the working class as canon fodder. 

Very revolutionary Commisar.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Lions led by donkeys. 

Usually so. I blame the lions. I have a liking for donkeys. Revolution, as you say, but not on the streets, as that usually ends badly. Revolution in the head, I think.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Usually so. I blame the lions. I have a liking for donkeys. Revolution, as you say, but not on the streets, as that usually ends badly. Revolution in the head, I think.

I saw that in a film once.  Donald Pleasance was in it, seeing perfectly.

[eds -- No, Donald P wasn't in it -- that was a different film.  In my defence they all a look the same after a while]

Edited by dgul