• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Polexit

Posted (edited)

Good.  I like Poles and think they'd be better off outside the EU.

If they left I'd very much approve of an ex-EU trade deal with an independent Poland, including a large amount of freedom of movement and labour.

[The case itself is rather boring and is mainly about the EU flexing its muscles]

Edited by dgul

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Good.  I like Poles and think they'd be better off outside the EU.

If they left I'd very much approve of an ex-EU trade deal with an independent Poland, including a large amount of freedom of movement and labour.

[The case itself is rather boring and is mainly about the EU flexing its muscles]

The EU is fucked in the long term. The cv thing is just going to hasten it’s demise. 

i too like the Poles. 

4 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Just read about the financial spat they have just had with the EU 

They have the EU by the balls,they are to big to fail ,Greece was pocket money compared to this 

Ah, ta. Missed that one. Mind, the whole cv thing has thrown the mother of all spanners into the works. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Just read about the financial spat they have just had with the EU 

They have the EU by the balls,they are to big to fail ,Greece was pocket money compared to this 

Correct, it's the Getty quote writ large:-

"If you owe the bank $100 that's your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem."  but in the case of Italy it's hundreds of billions.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Ssssshh.

You know that telling the truth on here gets you into trouble...

XYY

I was personally against expanding the EU to ex Soviet states back in 2000 ish. And the DDR should have kept away, and stayed separate, but the Poles are much more fond of the Brits, than the Germans, or Russians, understandably. It's legal for them to come here, and I have no problem with it.

19 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Actually most people on here seem to moan about the Poles.O.o

I'd say it's 90/10 in favour

I see lots of "Poland is where I'd like to visit/move/retire" and "Poland doesn't like fuzzy wuzzies so they're ok in my book" 

Can't think of anything bad said about the poles on here, but I could be mistaken. I think it's Romanians that the dosbod hive do not like.

5 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Can't think of anything bad said about the poles on here, but I could be mistaken. I think it's Romanians that the dosbod hive do not like.

Don't get confused between Romanians, and the Roma travelling folk. Romanians are only Italians with a bit of an accent.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I was personally against expanding the EU to ex Soviet states back in 2000 ish. And the DDR should have kept away, and stayed separate, but the Poles are much more fond of the Brits, than the Germans, or Russians, understandably. It's legal for them to come here, and I have no problem with it.

It was gormless bring EE into EU on the timescale.

I've nothing against EE. Its the daft FOM n UK bennie system to blame. Fix those n poof  ! UK migrant problem fixed.

Joining the EU n having 50% of the younger EE leg it west has resulted in the people left taking most of the EU 'development' money and turning EE countries into semi- dictatorships (Poland) or mafia states (Balkans Inc Greece)

Edited by spygirl

Just now, spygirl said:

It was gimless bring EE into EU on the timescale.

Yes, rather like Maggie closing down the coal industry too quickly. There was nowt to replace it. Er Russian gas I think. Anyway I digress.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yes, rather like Maggie closing down the coal industry too quickly. There was nowt to replace it. Er Russian gas I think. Anyway I digress.

Over 40 odd years, the USSR pretty much destroyed these countries society n economies.

Some managed to adapt and cling to some of their society - Slovenia, Croatia n czechlands.

Others, such as Balkans, had what little development they made, destroyed.

Eastern Germany was a heads up. Small rump of Germany, same language, same ugly dress sense, not too far off income earnings. Yet, 30 years later it's still a problem.

Parts of Ballans had goat n conkers used as draught animals ffs.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Parts of Ballans had goat n conkers used as draught animals ffs.

"Conkers", no, they were donkeys I think. Somebody I knew spent time in Albania in the 70s. It would be like that.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

"Conkers", no, they were donkeys I think. Somebody I knew spent time in Albania in the 70s. It would be like that.

It was like that in 2004.

Still is.

Donkeys ffs.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Actually most people on here seem to moan about the Poles.O.o

I have very little personal experience of Polish people other than my first boss, who was a female Polish Engineer and she was very good.

This being said, I was once drawn into a conversation with the 16 year old female Polish school friend of one of my sons - her parents are Polish and she had a Polish name but was born and had grown up here. I asked her if the stereotypical view of Polish men being very keen on the beer and a fight was true - her experience (which I accept is singular-anecdotal and a long way from data) is that her father and his Polish friends are a load of piss-heads who regularly get themselves into trouble by fighting with each other, their wives and anybody who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quite enlightening.

Edited by Bornagain

I know a fair few Poles, although they are generally in the more upper level education wise than the general classes. They are actually fairly critical of their own country and fellow citizens.

The good thing for them, like the UK, is they entered the EU on their terms and didn't join the Euro (I don't think would have been allowed initially) and so they get the up sides without going all in and fucking their economy without their say so. It makes leaving a far easier prospect, I think we might have seen far more agitation from the member states if it wasn't for the Euro.

The Poles who have come to the UK IMO have integrated reasonably well, shown themselves to be hard working and haven't caused major problems from what I can tell. Sure they are complicit in the destruction of low end wages and opportunities, but that's a system problem.

If they did leave then I think there would absolutely be a case for freedom of movement between the two countries, the major bonus is they have no colonial past and so you don't get 3rd world immigration by proxy as you do with the French and Dutch. If you are going to import low end workers you might as well target ones you know will fit in and work hard.

If it wasn't for the cold war and iron curtain I think Poland and the UK would have had a very good relationship over the course of the 20th century.

11 minutes ago, gilf said:

I know a fair few Poles, although they are generally in the more upper level education wise than the general classes. They are actually fairly critical of their own country and fellow citizens.

I have a mate from Poland, electronics engineer and I'd agree with that. We went out with some other mates (British and Polish) to a Polish restaurant and they were (jokingly) appraising the other Polish people in the place as barbarians and looking like 'wet rats'. Quite self deprecating, in a funny way (to me anyway)