DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

Well, reading this:

UK offices set to remain closed for months

Working at home to become the norm as government lays out plan for easing lockdown

https://www.ft.com/content/1a9a0e61-511f-43ff-8a81-987ee223c4a9

White-collar employers will be expected to keep most staff working from home for several months to prevent public transport from being overwhelmed, senior government figures said.

Err, its really only London that has a high number of employees using public transport to work.

Virtually unheard of the North, outside of the larger cities.

Combine this with the large number of non natives - I think is now ~50% non native. Who, surprise, are more likely to be a Somali single mum of 11 than a rich international banker.

About 30% of London housing stock is private rentals.

Even the photo in the FT article is revealing

a626b5cb-89e7-4dfd-80d0-81aa89320833.jpg

• Agree 4
  • Lol 1

Chewing Grass
9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

White-collar employers will be expected to keep most staff working from home for several months to prevent public transport from being overwhelmed

Don't forget the modern open-plan offices where people are crammed in to their legal capacity with the modern ones having less than 1 car parking space per three employees.

Ours has one shared 'kettle' thing per 100 employees and the there is the frigging toilet facilities which are minimal as well to maximise productive space.

It is a viral paradise.

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I don't know where you pick your "facts" from?

https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/renting/london-renters-expected-to-increase-by-122-per-cent-in-next-decade-a135796.html

Private renters now account for 30 per cent of all households in London, which equates roughly to 2.7 million tenants, according to a new study by CBRE.

These are the  above board, official rentals i.e. not beds in sheds. The actual number of private rents is probably 20-30% higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

At the 2011 census, London had a population of 8,173,941. Of this number 44.9% were White British. 37% of the population were born outside the UK, including 24.5% born outside of Europe.[2]

Thats the 2011 census. The foreign  population is much larger today.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Don't forget the modern open-plan offices where people are crammed in to their legal capacity with the modern ones having less than 1 car parking space per three employees.

Ours has one shared 'kettle' thing per 100 employees and the there is the frigging toilet facilities which are minimal as well to maximise productive space.

It is a viral paradise.

There is a H&S rule which determines the number of traps and urinals required for the number of employees. I am not up on it, but I'm sure some here are. The kettle is probably illegal, as you need a boiling water tap if you have too many users.

OK, thanks @spygirl. I have been predicting the demise of London for some time. Unless you are fucking RICH, it's not worth going there, and that includes corporates.

• Agree 2

Chewing Grass
4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The kettle is probably illegal, as you need a boiling water tap if you have too many users.

We have that, couldn't think of an appropriate name for it, so its a 'Kettle Thing' from Red Ring.

I operate it with the back of my hand, however the biggest threat to human health and the transmission of disease is the shared refrigerator and its door.

Wight Flight
26 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

We have that, couldn't think of an appropriate name for it, so its a 'Kettle Thing' from Red Ring.

I operate it with the back of my hand, however the biggest threat to human health and the transmission of disease is the shared refrigerator and its door.

If there are 100 highly paid bods all spending time making a brew, perhaps a resurgence of the good old fashioned tea lady would make financial and covid safety sense?

• Agree 2

Chewing Grass
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

If there are 100 highly paid bods all spending time making a brew, perhaps a resurgence of the good old fashioned tea lady would make financial and covid safety sense?

We used to have that years ago, bloody fantastic, bacon toast, pasties or sausage barms in the morning, scones, shortbread or toasted teacakes in the afternoon all served from a trolley by a lady in her late 50s early 60s who knew everybody by name.

The added bonus was what with the smoke filled offices the pension bill was much lower as on a site with about 2000 people we probably averaged 1 in work fatal heart attack per month.

They wheeled them out via the loading bay at the back of the building under a grey blanket.

Totally civilised, then we were privatised.

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Chewing Grass

The thing about public transport is it is the holy grail of the environmental movement, everything hinges around it and the acceptance by the plebs that it is the safest and greenest option when its biggest flaw is rampant transmission of disease and the promotion of mass movement of people every single day into centres of concentration.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

We've got a Quooker tap. Fucking dangerous thing, sends boiling water pishing out all over the place. 

• Agree 4
  • Lol 1

1 minute ago, Craig said:

We've got a Quooker tap. Fucking dangerous thing, sends boiling water pishing out all over the place. 

I knew somebody bought one.:CryBaby:

13 minutes ago, Craig said:

Quookers are like a secret, duelling club.

Not an issue, as long as everyone knows about it.

15 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I knew somebody bought one.:CryBaby:

My employer, not me. They're about a fucking grand a pop. For a tap!

To hell with that, I've got a kettle....

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Craig said:

My employer, not me. They're about a fucking grand a pop. For a tap!

To hell with that, I've got a kettle....

Phew! I almost called you a looney, in public.xD

sarahbell
30 minutes ago, Craig said:

They've got one at one of the beekeeping buildings I've been to. It's really useful as you can make a brew and quickly return to a meeting. I don't know how much water it'll Kook before it breaks. Assuming it's only me who likes the thought of mopping the floor with scalding water.

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Well, reading this:

UK offices set to remain closed for months

Working at home to become the norm as government lays out plan for easing lockdown

https://www.ft.com/content/1a9a0e61-511f-43ff-8a81-987ee223c4a9

White-collar employers will be expected to keep most staff working from home for several months to prevent public transport from being overwhelmed, senior government figures said.

This is just sensible to me.

If people can work from home and the business carries on, then why would you want to encourage them all to use public transport and horde into London.

No point.

Best to keep all those who can work from home, at home for the forseeable future.

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Errol said:

This just sensible to me.

If people can work from home and the business carries on, then why would you want to encourage them all to use public transport and horde into London.

No point.

Best to keep all those who can work from home, at home for the forseeable future.

bit racist though.  

how is the next attacker on London Bridge supposed to find any targets if all the commuters have gone?

• Agree 1

Just now, The XYY Man said:

He makes them up - in the back bedroom of love.

Being on benefits and living with his mam gives him all the time in the world to flood both this site and hpc.co.uk with his bullshit.

He posted on hpc 28 minutes ago, and appears to be the only poster with a foot in both camps.

Are you a double agent @spygirl...?

XYY

Check his shoelaces.

Just now, The XYY Man said:

He's not allowed them in case he tries to hang himself...

XYY

I expect we wears slip on shoes. The sure sign of a cad.o.O

• Lol 1

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

we probably averaged 1 in work fatal heart attack per month.

They wheeled them out via the loading bay at the back of the building under a grey blanket.

Luxury! They used ter starve us to death for minor disciplinaries then bring us back to life just long enough to chuck the bodies out of the tenth floor windows into a pit of crocodiles. Try telling that to the entitled youth of terday they just don't believe you. 

• Agree 1

TheCountOfNowhere
9 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Being on benefits and living with his mam gives him all the time in the world to flood both this site and hpc.co.uk with his bullshit.

He posted on hpc 28 minutes ago, and appears to be the only poster with a foot in both camps.

XYY

Could be two different people. I know i am 😉

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Virgil Caine
3 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

It is a viral paradise.

Amen,

Shared kitchens, hot desking,  reduction in numbers of toilets ( my office is undergoing a refit reducing the number of toilet cubicles from 4 to 2), staff commuting miles on cramped trains plus foreign contractors.  The modern office is a veritable plague pit.

• Agree 4

27 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I expect we wears slip on shoes. The sure sign of a cad.o.O

That's the worse slur thrown at me.

I hate slipon shoes.

30 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

At least I'm not banned.

Xyy, the Jimmy savile of hpc.....

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1