DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

16 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Place I'm working at, has planned for 50% desks and shut the satellite office.

Saves all that space travel.

Space travel is in my blood. I look ill but I don't care about it.

I think my question is, does everyone really enjoy working from home, or is it that they all hate the commute?

I could work from home most of the time, but I have an 18 minute drive to work along a beautiful coastal road which I would actually miss. And I know I am more efficient in the office.

Yet another thing that house prices have buggered up. When I started employing, nearly all my staff lived within 5 miles. By the time I finished, two of them were over 100 miles away, and several others had at least an hour to travel each way.

Being honest, if your journey to work was under 20 minutes, would you still want to work from home?

Edited by Wight Flight
  • Agree 4

22 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Being honest, if your journey to work was under 20 minutes, would you still want to work from home?

It's not only the commute but the it's handy to have your own kitchen/bathroom* ect...at hand, and the ability to concentrate on work without distractions. Also silly things like being able to take time throughout the day to do housework/cooking type stuff. Boring stuff like starting a clothes wash before you sit down to work.

It's a more efficient use of my time basically.

But this is coming from the point of view of quite a solitary job where there's no 'social' side i.e. we don't lunch or go for tea breaks together (unfortunately). And I know that many if not most jobs involve actual team work which is best done in person.

Personally I'd settle for 3 days at home, 2 days in the office per week on average. Flexible what days I'm in i.e. if there's meetings ect...I'd always be available.

However I suspect even though we haven't missed a beat in delivering over the lockdown, once it's over it'll all be forgotten and we'll be told that remote working isn't as good as being there in person (because we're essentially still not trusted). So I'm not assuming that we'll be given that freedom, and will be making no plans based on that assumption - but I'll be pushing for it and have encouraged the rest of my team to do the same.

I do know some people who hate working from home and can't wait to get back to the office, one of which has an almost hour long commute each way. So it's certainly not for everyone.

* I know that might sound ridiculous but in my workplace there isn't enough toilets in the building and I often times have to check 3 floors worth of toilets when looking for somewhere to take a dump

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Be fascinating to see how they are doing in 5 years with no newly trained up staff.

This is the major weakness with remote working. I don't see how you are able to train people up to do jobs with any amount of complexity.

I enjoy remote working as someone who knows my job inside out, but would have hated it when I was just starting in the workforce and knew nothing.

• Agree 2

Chewing Grass
6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

* I know that might sound ridiculous but in my workplace there isn't enough toilets in the building and I often times have to check 3 floors worth of toilets when looking for somewhere to take a dump

That was exactly the same where I worked, 4 sets of bogs over 2 floors with a 50/50 split men/women but 4x more men in the building than women, which meant there were 12 bogs for 350 ish blokes if they were all working, they also cleaned them in the morning between 9 & 11am so when most blokes needed a shit there were only 9.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

The Generation Game
32 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I think my question is, does everyone really enjoy working from home, or is it that they all hate the commute?

I could work from home most of the time, but I have an 18 minute drive to work along a beautiful coastal road which I would actually miss. And I know I am more efficient in the office.

Yet another thing that house prices have buttered up. When I started employing, nearly all my staff lived within 5 miles. By the time I finished, two of them were over 100 miles away, and several others had at least an hour to travel each way.

My commute is currently 30 minutes walk each way. If I could work from the office I would do it in a heartbeat as that time is my daily exercise time. I started a new role in September and having to work in a makeshift office with no colleagues has probably dropped my productivity by around 70%. 

Edit to add: if I could find a nice job that I could do remotely and live in the countryside, with enough money to afford an office room, I'd WFH in a heartbeat. 

Edited by The Generation Game
  • Agree 1

For now.

Be fascinating to see how they are doing in 5 years with no newly trained up staff.

I don't think this is as good an idea as people are trying to convince themselves it is.

My accountant has already confessed that everything is taking much longer than it used to with all his staff working from home.

a lot of people have affairs/meet their spouse at work, it's going to decimate the workplace colleague fornication related industries 

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Yadda yadda yadda
31 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Yet another thing that house prices have buttered up. When I started employing, nearly all my staff lived within 5 miles. By the time I finished, two of them were over 100 miles away, and several others had at least an hour to travel each way.

I would rather work from an office. Clear beginning and end to the day and a bit of social interaction with others including teams peripheral to my role. My commute was a half hour cycle. So that was my daily exercise as well as being mostly enjoyable.

As you mention training is going to be a problem. I wrote new procedures and used Microsoft Teams to train existing employees up on new methods we needed to use working from home. This is much easier than training someone new but was still stilted compared to being there. How difficult will that be? I expect very. I expect we will be able to book office space for training. Could be a month of going in every day. This will mean that I will do it all as I will be happy to do it.

I do miss speaking to other members of staff. People in other departments that I don't work with on a regular basis. Sometimes you learn something work related from those conversations. Or just  important gossip.

On the plus side an extra hour a day is useful and I do eat better.

• Agree 5

One of my burds pal is now going into the office once a week under the guise of mental health. Big bank. 

You can apply every week to work in office if you want even though it's essentially shut. 

Changed days. People literally gagging to go into work they are so bored. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Lol 2

Yet another thing that house prices have buggered up. When I started employing, nearly all my staff lived within 5 miles. By the time I finished, two of them were over 100 miles away, and several others had at least an hour to travel each way.

I'd be happy going in when I want, and WFH when I want, and I think that is likely to be the case now. If it's sunny, I'll ride my bike to work, if it's cold or wet, I'll WFH :)

Edited by snaga
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

It's not just the commute. It can be the office and where the office is.

I used to have to travel 40mins from a relative nice area to work in a shit hole office that was placed in an estate full of dossers.

Ideal commute would be a 30 min walk or 20min drive- with easy parking.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

This is the major weakness with remote working. I don't see how you are able to train people up to do jobs with any amount of complexity.

I enjoy remote working as someone who knows my job inside out, but would have hated it when I was just starting in the workforce and knew nothing.

This.

It's also a lot different working remotely with a team when you have spent 5 years in the office with them and know the signs and body language inside out.  New recuits - much harder to learn when you only see them 30 minutes a day in a zoom call.

I ran teams across 4 continents and still made sure at least once a year I saw each team in person for an extended period.  humans pick up a hell of a lot of information from non verbal body cues.

PatronizingGit

Maybe they were too busy in the gyms before, but there seems to have been an exponential increase of mincing pricks yomping about the countryside here in rural East Anglia the last view months, coffee cup permanently glued to their hand. 

Look like London escapees to me. 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes, one think I've found that I've gravitated towards eating two meals a day, a big breakfast at 11 - 11:30 and dinner at 6 ish. I would find it really annoying to have to go back to early morning breakfast and a 12:30 lunch.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, ashestoashes said:

a lot of people have affairs/meet their spouse at work, it's going to decimate the workplace colleague fornication related industries 

Good to see someone bringing the proper dosbods perspective to the issue.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

It's not only the commute but the it's handy to have your own kitchen/bathroom* ect...at hand, and the ability to concentrate on work without distractions. Also silly things like being able to take time throughout the day to do housework/cooking type stuff. Boring stuff like starting a clothes wash before you sit down to work.

It's a more efficient use of my time basically.

Agreed. 

Although stealing pens is a lot harder. Or easier 

Years ago I used to shop at Viking and get a load of stationary delivered. It's Amazon now.

stop_the_craziness
3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

My old work journey was 10 minutes through beautiful countryside and I have no intention of ever working in the office again if I can.  I do that same beautiful 10 minute drive anyway, if I go to the supermarket or visit other people who don't live in my village or basically, go anywhere outside of the village.

The reason I don't want to go in the office is the people.  They got really tiresome during Brexit and Covid has just multiplied that by a hundredfold.  It's my own fault for working in the lefty, SJW charity sector, but I love my actual job and so doing it from home has been a dream come true.  I speak to a small group of people who aren't morons and now I can't hear the general open-plan office nonsense.  Plus I can "attend" all the rah-rah meeting stuff on mute with my camera switched off which makes the whole thing so much more bearable.

It really is personal choice and I don't think those that hate working from home should be forced to do it in the same way that I don't think someone like me should be forced back into an office environment that does nothing to help me and a lot to hinder me.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

It really is personal choice and I don't think those that hate working from home should be forced to do it in the same way that I don't think someone like me should be forced back into an office environment that does nothing to help me and a lot to hinder me.

Excellent attitude. I just wish more people applied that to everything else.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9311487/The-beginning-END-Canary-Wharf-chief-says-gradual-return-desks-start-March-29.html

The chief strategist at London's Canary Wharf has said thousands of workers are expected to return to offices as Covid restrictions are eased in the coming months.

Howard Dawber, Canary Wharf Group's head of strategy, said they are expecting numbers to increase from March 29 and that this will increase when services such as bars, restaurants and hairdressers open from June.

Speaking on the Radio 4 Today programme, Mr Dawber said the group expects to be back to 100 per cent occupancy over time with the return of its 120,000 office workers.

No. Mr Dawbers *Wants* the mto return.

CW is a long way away from mainland trains, requiring a tube journey somewhere.

Its also still pretty much non residential.

CW only reason for existing is that its cheaper than rest of London.

If rest of London gets a lot cheaper than theres no reason for CW.

• Agree 1

goldbug9999
42 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9311487/The-beginning-END-Canary-Wharf-chief-says-gradual-return-desks-start-March-29.html

The chief strategist at London's Canary Wharf has said thousands of workers are expected to return to offices as Covid restrictions are eased in the coming months.

Canary Warf is the very epitome of arse end of nowhere hated commutes, extreme ball ache to get there even for most Londoners, incidence of insufferable cunts is off the scale. Going to be a fucking wasteland.

• Agree 5
  • Lol 1

Yadda yadda yadda

Just had the monthly update from the CEO. Looking to a return to normalcy. Mentioned difficulties around maintaining culture and engagement whilst so many have been working from home. Sounds like they want to get a lot back to offices where they can keep an eye on people. Previously it has all been back patting about how well the business has done switching people to home working. Definitely a change of emphasis. However, they won't be undoing homeworking altogether.

I think some people are underestimating how many will be going back to offices.

• Agree 4

Frank Hovis
16 hours ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

I would rather work from an office. Clear beginning and end to the day and a bit of social interaction with others including teams peripheral to my role. My commute was a half hour cycle. So that was my daily exercise as well as being mostly enjoyable.

As you mention training is going to be a problem. I wrote new procedures and used Microsoft Teams to train existing employees up on new methods we needed to use working from home. This is much easier than training someone new but was still stilted compared to being there. How difficult will that be? I expect very. I expect we will be able to book office space for training. Could be a month of going in every day. This will mean that I will do it all as I will be happy to do it.

I do miss speaking to other members of staff. People in other departments that I don't work with on a regular basis. Sometimes you learn something work related from those conversations. Or just  important gossip.

On the plus side an extra hour a day is useful and I do eat better.

You sum up nicely there YYY (why) I think that any company that intends to move forward requires its employees to be in the office. Irrespective of how much employees like it a working from home company is at best going to stand still and so be overtaken by its competition who have staff back in the office.

I think working from home a temporary necessity rather than the future.

And it will be interesting to see what happens to the regional property market when all of those Londoners who moved out and bought a house with a lovely sea view are told "back in the office matey".

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Howard Dawber, Canary Wharf Group's head of strategy, said they are expecting numbers to increase from March 29 and that this will increase when services such as bars, restaurants and hairdressers open from June.

Speaking on the Radio 4 Today programme, Mr Dawber said the group expects to be back to 100 per cent occupancy over time with the return of its 120,000 office workers.

CW is a long way away from mainland trains, requiring a tube journey somewhere.

Its also still pretty much non residential.

CW only reason for existing is that its cheaper than rest of London.

If rest of London gets a lot cheaper than theres no reason for CW.

However, Canary Wharf must be the greatest contributor to local taxes in the borough of Tower Hamlets. Might help balance out the Dutch Somalis.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
5 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Just had the monthly update from the CEO. Looking to a return to normalcy. Mentioned difficulties around maintaining culture and engagement whilst so many have been working from home. Sounds like they want to get a lot back to offices where they can keep an eye on people. Previously it has all been back patting about how well the business has done switching people to home working. Definitely a change of emphasis. However, they won't be undoing homeworking altogether.

I think some people are underestimating how many will be going back to offices.

I agree.

Give it a year and this whole working from "revolution" will be a memory.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

goldbug9999
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree.

Give it a year and this whole working from "revolution" will be a memory.

It wont be in the IT/software dev field, every job ad I see is now "fully remote working" or "one/two day(s) a week on site". These outnumber the "remote until covid is over" ones by about 10 to 1. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2