DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

Frank Hovis
24 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

It wont be in the IT/software dev field, every job ad I see is now "fully remote working" or "one/two day(s) a week on site". These outnumber the "remote until covid is over" ones by about 10 to 1. 

I bow to your experience in that particular field.

5 hours ago, spygirl said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9311487/The-beginning-END-Canary-Wharf-chief-says-gradual-return-desks-start-March-29.html

The chief strategist at London's Canary Wharf has said thousands of workers are expected to return to offices as Covid restrictions are eased in the coming months.

Howard Dawber, Canary Wharf Group's head of strategy, said they are expecting numbers to increase from March 29 and that this will increase when services such as bars, restaurants and hairdressers open from June.

Speaking on the Radio 4 Today programme, Mr Dawber said the group expects to be back to 100 per cent occupancy over time with the return of its 120,000 office workers.

No. Mr Dawbers *Wants* the mto return.

CW is a long way away from mainland trains, requiring a tube journey somewhere.

Its also still pretty much non residential.

CW only reason for existing is that its cheaper than rest of London.

If rest of London gets a lot cheaper than theres no reason for CW.

"It is very difficult to make a man understand something when his salary depends upon him not understanding it"

.......is an old quote from Upton Sinclair from the 1930's - it is still valid today.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

"It is very difficult to make a man understand something when his salary depends upon him not understanding it"

.......is an old quote from Upton Sinclair from the 1930's - it is still valid today.

A quote very applicable to many working in the Covid industry.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree.

Give it a year and this whole working from "revolution" will be a memory.

A bit like the cycling revolution back in March. Shame though.

• Agree 1

The reality Wii be that where it's cheaper to have remote working there'll be remote working. Office space in commercial areas is expensive so unless there is some overriding reason to have people physically present, it will be avoided where possible. Commuting is generally very unpleasant and expensive so most people will be happy to WFH when possible. Notwithstanding the wishes of the boss of Canary wharf, of Boris or of Dado the boss and head union honcho of LRT.

6 hours ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Just had the monthly update from the CEO. Looking to a return to normalcy. Mentioned difficulties around maintaining culture and engagement whilst so many have been working from home. Sounds like they want to get a lot back to offices where they can keep an eye on people. Previously it has all been back patting about how well the business has done switching people to home working. Definitely a change of emphasis. However, they won't be undoing homeworking altogether.

I think some people are underestimating how many will be going back to offices.

Across London nearly all the large businesses I'm aware of are moving to at least 50% of the time homeworking.

So I think conservatively you are looking at a permanent 50% reduction to footfall and transport usage. That's basically already baked in.

55 minutes ago, ccc said:

Most big employers will move to 2-3 days in the office per week for most staff. 

And this will represent a massive shift. Something like a 50% permanent drop in footfall/train use/commuting.

• Agree 1

Popuplights
20 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Agreed. 

Although stealing pens is a lot harder. Or easier 

Years ago I used to shop at Viking and get a load of stationary delivered. It's Amazon now.

My kids were gutted when we stopped getting uniball eye pens at my work.....

• Lol 1

I can't wait to go back. Sick of working from home

I need a few days a week at least in, or the option. I dislike work encroaching into my home, and the blur around the start and end to the days.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 2

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, ste said:

I need a few days a week at least in, or the option. I dislike work encroaching into my home, and the blur around the start and end to the days.

This. Or else your home becomes a work place. Did they really think they were gonna get away with that?

18 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

This. Or else your home becomes a work place. Did they really think they were gonna get away with that?

Not sure what the issue with this is. The laptop gets closed when work is over. Takes up no space at all. Work is work - not a place. I'd rather do it at home, with the money saved from commuting and the 3hrs a day gained than in an office full of random people.

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 3

Bobthebuilder
12 minutes ago, Errol said:

Not sure what the issue with this is. The laptop gets closed when work is over. Takes up no space at all. Work is work - not a place. I'd rather do it at home, with the money saved from commuting and the 3hrs a day gained than in an office full of random people.

True. Sure it's fine if you have a dedicated office, not so nice in a 1 bed flat year on year I expect.

Anyway I can't talk, I work in other peoples houses.

• Agree 3

Bobthebuilder

@Errol You know I have just realized what they can do with all those city center empty offices. Split into bedsits that you work for 8 hours and live in. Hey, you can also get a mortgage on it. Job done.

goldbug9999
On 01/03/2021 at 18:36, Errol said:

Across London nearly all the large businesses I'm aware of are moving to at least 50% of the time homeworking.

So I think conservatively you are looking at a permanent 50% reduction to footfall and transport usage. That's basically already baked in.

And this will represent a massive shift. Something like a 50% permanent drop in footfall/train use/commuting.

Its going to be fucking glorious when all the southern railway companies go bust, I'm looking forward to dancing on GWRs grave in particular, 

37 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

@Errol You know I have just realized what they can do with all those city center empty offices. Split into bedsits that you work for 8 hours and live in. Hey, you can also get a mortgage on it. Job done.

Maybe people will live in Central London, and commute to the office in St. Albans?

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Bobthebuilder
11 minutes ago, eight said:

Maybe people will live in Central London, and commute to the office in St. Albans?

It's all good for GDP.

• Lol 2

22 hours ago, ste said:

I can't wait to go back. Sick of working from home

WFH is turning into working less during (9-5) standard work hours and more outside of those.  Need a bit more discipline, otherwise it's turning into horrible unproductive long days.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

WFH is turning into working less during (9-5) standard work hours and more outside of those.  Need a bit more discipline, otherwise it's turning into horrible unproductive long days.

Weird. I've found it way, way more productive. No constant noise, no mindless chatter, fewer interruptions - you just get on with the work during the work day and finish at the end of the work day. And then no commuting or travel.

There's an endless array of people available for questions or chat if you need them - through teams or the phone.

People with discipline are loving this.

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 4

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Errol said:

I've found it way, way more productive. No constant noise, no mindless chatter, fewer interruptions - you just get on with the work during the work day and finish at the end of the work day. And then no commuting or travel.

There's an endless array of people available for questions or chat if you need them - through teams or the phone.

100%, I have found that I get the same amount of work done in 50% of the time and to a higher standard through not having to deal with the office clowns.

Indeed the only two people struggling are one of the useless ones who is in over his ability and needs work for a social life and the resident piss-head who lives in the pub and has a 1 bedroom flat.

• Agree 2

stop_the_craziness
1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

I see this as a positive.  I roll out of bed, do a couple of hours morning work whilst I ease myself into the day then spend the middle part of the day exercising, cooking, watching cycle racing etc, then log back on later in the afternoon for another couple of hours to clear up the last bits of the day.  It's the workday pattern I've always dreamed of.  Endless studies over the years have concluded that most people are only truly productive for around four hours in an average working day and now I am only working my productive hours it seems that the other half of each day that was spent listening to people talk cobblers in meetings and doing spurious and irrelevant diversity training or other such guff is entirely unnecessary.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 2

On 28/02/2021 at 20:21, ccc said:

One of my burds pal is now going into the office once a week under the guise of mental health. Big bank. 

You can apply every week to work in office if you want even though it's essentially shut. 

Changed days. People literally gagging to go into work they are so bored. 

I can’t get the X out of my house im

wondering how to say can you fuck off 2 nights a week so I can get some whores around .she might do something daft if I lob her out and won’t ever get the kids back and then can’t go back to work .

• Lol 1

3 hours ago, eight said:

Had a very bad night there once but the institution that I met banned Christmas outings in pubs after that night was funny has fuck mind .I also overslept and discovered my rover Sterling 2.7 Honda engined monster could do 135 mph up the m1.

• Cheers 1

Roger_Mellie
9 hours ago, Errol said:

Weird. I've found it way, way more productive. No constant noise, no mindless chatter, fewer interruptions - you just get on with the work during the work day and finish at the end of the work day. And then no commuting or travel.

Do you have a family? 

• Agree 2

stop_the_craziness
42 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Do you have a family? 

I think this is the important question.  My home environment is an oasis of calm compared with the office but I guess other people's homes are way more hectic than any workplace.

Roger_Mellie
6 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I think this is the important question.  My home environment is an oasis of calm compared with the office but I guess other people's homes are way more hectic than any workplace.

I've been working at home since 11th of March last year. In all that time I would be surprised if I've had more than 6 weeks of just me working at home. There's four of us here all the time and I've really had enough of it. 

Aside from the fact the kids should have been in school weeks ago and they're old enough to look after themselves it's still a distraction. At least when I go to work I know everyone is there for the same reason. 

The other thing I'm finding is that with 4 people in the house all the time the wear and tear is going through the roof and the place is always untidy. Does my head in. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
  • Agree 2