DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

1 hour ago, HolyCow said:

Rishi can just print another trillion...we'll all be rich and living on Mars in no time. 

you can't print wealth.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, wherebee said:

We wore masks out at the weekend as a test run - not needed by law where we are, but it's coming.  Some shops already have a 'must wear masks' sign.

Main issue was the behind the ears straps cutting in after a while; wife spent last night adding soft fabric to the design so that it is padded.  She also made a winter one which is basically a snood.  

It's all so depressing how quickly people will turn fascist over these.  You can see how freedoms are lost by the actions of the masses.

Husband has 3d printed an 'ear saver'

Austin Allegro
On 20/07/2020 at 10:51, HolyCow said:

Eventually workers will realise they don't need to work and can live off welfare with almost the same amount of money as when they were working but with less stress.

Don't forget, "work" has been fetishised over the last 20 or so years and some networking work websites have sprung up alongside that fetish. In the past, work was a means to an end. Now it is marketed as a kind of status-symbol to certain more superficial demographic groups (all done imo so that the ptb have an eager taxpayer-pool who they know will always slavishly chase this status and provide tax receipts for those that don't care about this status).

I'd say the fetishisation has been going on for 30 years at least, it was necessary to glamourise work in order to get women away from being housewives/mothers and working/spending in the economy so that asset prices could be ramped more easily. A woman doing a basic admin job in an office had to feel she was somehow an heir of the Suffragettes and doing something noble.

• Agree 7

5 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I'd say the fetishisation has been going on for 30 years at least, it was necessary to glamourise work in order to get women away from being housewives/mothers and working/spending in the economy so that asset prices could be ramped more easily. A woman doing a basic admin job in an office had to feel she was somehow an heir of the Suffragettes and doing something noble.

Very true. So many women think they are strong, independent feminists pushing back against the patriarchy by having a "career" (often in reality a non-job that doesn't give anything back to humanity, is stressful and time-consuming) when in reality they are the ultimate slaves of the 1%ers (who are mostly men).

• Agree 5
  • Lol 1

On 20/07/2020 at 08:00, arbitrage said:

This virus is no more deadly than swine flu

You think that 120 000 dead in a population of 65 000 000 is a cause for concern?

Says a lot about the state of maths teaching in the UK

Did you know that 150 000 people die every year in Britain

If that were true then it would take over 400 years for all 65M people to die so think your maths may be out?

[400 x 150k = 60M]

I'd guess its more like 750k+ dead in  a normal year.

Whick makes your point stronger that 120k dead is not the extreme disaster it's made out to be [unless you/yours are one of the 120k of course].

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, BWW said:

If that were true then it would take over 400 years for all 65M people to die so think your maths may be out?

[400 x 150k = 60M]

I'd guess its more like 750k+ dead in  a normal year.

Whick makes your point stronger that 120k dead is not the extreme disaster it's made out to be [unless you/yours are one of the 120k of course].

Seems like a reasonable assumption.

If we assume average age at death to be 75, the birth rate in 1945 should be the guideline.

And here we have it. About 780k

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281965/live-births-in-the-united-kingdom-uk-1931-1960/

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2020 at 20:11, HolyCow said:

Very true. So many women think they are strong, independent feminists pushing back against the patriarchy by having a "career" (often in reality a non-job that doesn't give anything back to humanity, is stressful and time-consuming) when in reality they are the ultimate slaves of the 1%ers (who are mostly men).

Much like feminism, most inhabitants of mum's basement think they are strong, independent young people pushing back against parental rules by not having a job and faithfully attending every leftist protest arrayed in only the finest tactical gear.

• Agree 1

On 20/07/2020 at 01:12, spunko said:

Yeah I had to buy one, it's basically a bit of cheap foam. Embarrassing really that anyone thinks that'll stop anything being spread. I'm not going to wear a mask in shops though, when the law changes. I'll either say I'm asthmatic or just not bother going.

I'd say about 5 to 10 percent of people werent wearing a mask in the station, nearly all of them were black folk I noticed.

You sure they were not robbing?

TechHub, once the heart of London’s start-up scene, goes bust

Workspace was the busy centre of the UK’s ‘Silicon Roundabout’

https://www.ft.com/content/6375f8ff-c306-4e56-8175-65c8f7b917f7

Make a nice mosque....

6 hours ago, spygirl said:

You sure they were not robbing?

TechHub, once the heart of London’s start-up scene, goes bust

Workspace was the busy centre of the UK’s ‘Silicon Roundabout’

https://www.ft.com/content/6375f8ff-c306-4e56-8175-65c8f7b917f7

Make a nice mosque....

Very Dosbodsian highest rated comment;

I truly believe that high land/house prices are a significant reason the UK’s productivity is so low compared to our peers. It stops people taking risks, it reduces mobility of people and ideas and it demoralises generations. So much of the UK’s value is tied up in non productive assets which are arranged to suck the maximum value out of the working population. 

Recommended by 185 people. Some people seem to be getting it...

• Agree 7

It dawned on me the other day that I've been in central London twice in the last two and a half years. For those of you who don't know I'm about a twenty minute train ride from Liverpool Street. Now I'm retired there's absolutely no reason to want to go there.

• Agree 2

Talking to a mate in the London commuter belt last few days - his employer (big, established name) has permanently shut one office.  Not temp for covid, we're talking ended the lease, never to use again.

Apparently the lockdown has accelerated plans re remote working - staff now expected to be in office 1 day/fortnight as opposed to every day.  

Imagine losing 80% of your footfall. That's what every business in London is possibly facing...

• Agree 7
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Imagine losing 80% of your footfall. That's what every business in London is possibly facing...

Once again London is too expensive to have a mere office there. It happened in the late 70s/early 80s. There will just be a brass plaque, and a post box.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, MrPin said:

Once again London is too expensive to have a mere office there. It happened in the late 70s/early 80s. There will just be a brass plaque, and a post box.

And no one who who serves coffees is living at their own expense in London

• Agree 8

8 hours ago, wherebee said:

Talking to a mate in the London commuter belt last few days - his employer (big, established name) has permanently shut one office.  Not temp for covid, we're talking ended the lease, never to use again.

Apparently the lockdown has accelerated plans re remote working - staff now expected to be in office 1 day/fortnight as opposed to every day.  

I imagine you'll just see in London shops what's happen to shops round here. The top levels turned into studios and 1/3 to 1/2 the shop floor sliced off and also turned into studios. The tiny shop frontage that remains then let out on meanwhile leases to cover business rates. Probably filled with Turkish barbers doing the citizenship scam.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I imagine you'll just see in London shops what's happen to shops round here. The top levels turned into studios and 1/3 to 1/2 the shop floor sliced off and also turned into studios. The tiny shop frontage that remains then let out on meanwhile leases to cover business rates. Probably filled with Turkish barbers doing the citizenship scam.

The problem I see with that scenario is where will the renter's/buyers of those studios come from. Central London could become a ghost town.

6 minutes ago, Option5 said:

The problem I see with that scenario is where will the renter's/buyers of those studios come from. Central London could become a ghost town.

BTL slumlords letting them out to gimmigrants. Easily cram 4 in a studio. Business as usual for Londonistan. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

And no one who who serves coffees is living at their own expense in London

Thread crosser  TCs n 10m -+2m ...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/city-of-londons-longest-ever-strike-comes-ends-after-bosses-agree-to-pay-cleaners-london-living-wage-a3312691.html

After 58 days of strike action, cleaners from the United Voices of the World Union (UVW) , made up entirely of migrants from South America, ended their “indefinite strike” over working conditions at 100 Wood Street.

All these south American fuckers need putting in the next plane back to Spain, who were the ones who let millions of v low skilled Lsyins into Europe.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, gibbon said:

BTL slumlords letting them out to gimmigrants. Easily cram 4 in a studio. Business as usual for Londonistan. 

Property valuations would have to drop some way for that to work. Why pay to develop a site that won't make a profit?

London only works when it can fool enough people into thinking it's a good place to live/work and a safe haven for your investments.

Once they all work out that it's an over rated, over priced shit hole they'll all vanish.

The mega rich will go first, rich and pseudo rich will try but not be able to sell their overpriced properties for the amount they need. Ghettos will expand but housing quality will go down. 

I imagine a large percentage lower paid  European migrants will leave for "home", better to be poor there than here.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Property valuations would have to drop some way for that to work. Why pay to develop a site that won't make a profit?

London only works when it can fool enough people into thinking it's a good place to live/work and a safe haven for your investments.

Once they all work out that it's an over rated, over priced shit hole they'll all vanish.

The mega rich will go first, rich and pseudo rich will try but not be able to sell their overpriced properties for the amount they need. Ghettos will expand but housing quality will go down. 

I imagine a large percentage lower paid  European migrants will leave for "home", better to be poor there than here.

Well the young n naive, who nit sussed out work income - work costs = disposable. Or priced in their travel costs/time.

They last til they get knocked and visit tye local vibrant primary.

• Lol 1

On 17/07/2020 at 19:59, MrPin said:

Yes, we are mislead to believe a "disabled toilet" is one which doesn't flush properly, and the seat falls off.

No, those are Persimmon 'Homes' toilets.

Rising housing costs eliminate UK’s regional income gap, study shows

Wealth, health and social mobility inequalities have grown, says IFS think-tank

https://www.ft.com/content/d1411be9-a792-4601-87c2-db6889a9804c

Rising housing costs in London have all but eliminated the income gap between the capital and the rest of the UK, according to a leading think-tank.

In a report published on Monday, the Institute for Fiscal Studies said that despite the perception that London was pulling away from other parts of Britain, regional earnings inequalities had shrunk since the early 2000s — although inequalities in wealth, health and social mobility had increased.

Productivity and earnings remain much higher in London than the rest of the country, and output has increased since 2002 more than twice as much as elsewhere — due to the capital’s faster gains in employment and longer working hours. But typical earnings have grown more slowly in London than in the UK as a whole over the same period, with top earners taking a bigger hit after the 2007-08 financial crisis, and a smaller proportion of workers benefiting from increases in the minimum wage.

No flies on economists.....

This has been true for 20 years. 

London living cost take all the extra and more money away.

And thats for the ~20% with high earnings.

Everyone else, with the average London income has been fucked.

The big hit has been to the finsec where the jobs are still being lost.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Rising housing costs eliminate UK’s regional income gap, study shows

Wealth, health and social mobility inequalities have grown, says IFS think-tank

https://www.ft.com/content/d1411be9-a792-4601-87c2-db6889a9804c

Rising housing costs in London have all but eliminated the income gap between the capital and the rest of the UK, according to a leading think-tank.

In a report published on Monday, the Institute for Fiscal Studies said that despite the perception that London was pulling away from other parts of Britain, regional earnings inequalities had shrunk since the early 2000s — although inequalities in wealth, health and social mobility had increased.

Productivity and earnings remain much higher in London than the rest of the country, and output has increased since 2002 more than twice as much as elsewhere — due to the capital’s faster gains in employment and longer working hours. But typical earnings have grown more slowly in London than in the UK as a whole over the same period, with top earners taking a bigger hit after the 2007-08 financial crisis, and a smaller proportion of workers benefiting from increases in the minimum wage.

No flies on economists.....

This has been true for 20 years. 

London living cost take all the extra and more money away.

And thats for the ~20% with high earnings.

Everyone else, with the average London income has been fucked.

The big hit has been to the finsec where the jobs are still being lost.

Bit OT but I read the other day a snippet about how Monzo were possibly in serious trouble.  They alongwiith three other tech centered challenger banks have been on a multi year spending spree to growth so not sure exactly what has changed... They will still be needing to raise more money surely anyway.   The article I saw mentioned tourism being down which would be hitting their bottom line as the cards are often used for foreign exchange.

The directors sounded out that they may not be able to continue.

I think I have a fiver in Monzo having signed up for someone else's referral bonus.  I have more in revolt though and even though not a huge sum I can see being a headache if actually goes under (balance split across different currencies etc)

https://anonym.to/?https://www.cityam.com/monzo-fights-for-survival-as-losses-double-to-114m/amp/

Edited by Dogtania
  • Agree 1

On 02/08/2020 at 02:51, wherebee said:

as mentioned elsewhere ... once that 1 day a fortnight requirement goes, why hire staff in the UK? even 1 day a fortnight is commutable from easyjet/ryanair destinations.

• Agree 1