DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

11 minutes ago, snaga said:

as mentioned elsewhere ... once that 1 day a fortnight requirement goes, why hire staff in the UK? even 1 day a fortnight is commutable from easyjet/ryanair destinations.

Because UK staff are skilled and relatively  easy to get along with - language , attitude etc.

Seriously.

Dont fall for the trap that skilled staff are easy to get outside of the Anglosphere.

• Agree 3

53 minutes ago, snaga said:

why hire staff in the UK?

- Very convenient time-zone.

- Reliable, well-skilled staff are available.

- English speaking.

- Relatively safe jurisdiction.

- Relative control over information and access etc.

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Dont fall for the trap that skilled staff are easy to get outside of the Anglosphere.

Yeh, the Japanese can't make anything that works properly.xD

7 minutes ago, Errol said:

- English speaking.

yes, and that will protect many jobs ... but if even 10% of jobs were relocated, that would be huge.

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yeh, the Japanese can't make anything that works properly.xD

Because UK staff are skilled and relatively  easy to get along with - language , attitude etc.

Seriously.

3 hours ago, snaga said:

as mentioned elsewhere ... once that 1 day a fortnight requirement goes, why hire staff in the UK? even 1 day a fortnight is commutable from easyjet/ryanair destinations.

That's certainly something I have thought about. My employer is a total luddite when it comes to WFH so won't be happening here so will have to leave and find something else.

I'm lucky that my parents live fairly close to me and on a good commuter route in to London, so could easily move to somewhere in Europe and commute in on a plane once a week and stay there if needed.

OK,

Im CEO of Megacorp, operating from a high rise in Docklands.

I order my staff in.

One contracts C19 at the office - or claims to - and dies/has a hard time.

Im fucked.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, gilf said:

That's certainly something I have thought about. My employer is a total luddite when it comes to WFH so won't be happening here so will have to leave and find something else.

I'm lucky that my parents live fairly close to me and on a good commuter route in to London, so could easily move to somewhere in Europe and commute in on a plane once a week and stay there if needed.

Ahhhh, planes. 

Stop talking about the olden days, bruv.

I can't see any of that coming back anytime soon. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, mattydread said:

Ahhhh, planes. 

Stop talking about the olden days, bruv.

I can't see any of that coming back anytime soon. 

I'm lucky that my parents live fairly close to me and on a good commuter route in to London, so could easily move to somewhere in Europe and commute in on a plane  ferry once a week and stay there if needed.

3 hours ago, Errol said:

- English speaking.

this.  although I think the last 4 are going to erode pretty fast as demographic change continues.

The Masked Tulip
On 06/05/2020 at 20:57, stokiescum said:

It could go the way of Detroit with luck but I doubt it

The problem is that Detroit becoming what it became really didn't affect the rest of the US. London is the financial centre. If it decides to move elsewhere it probably will not pick elsewhere in the UK.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

22 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The problem is that Detroit becoming what it became really didn't affect the rest of the US. London is the financial centre. If it decides to move elsewhere it probably will not pick elsewhere in the UK.

The City is a parasite on its host, depending on the UK government/central bank to bail it out whenever it experiences the downsides of the risks it is taking. The parasite will only leave when there is no more taxpayer cash to feed off e.g. if a Corbyn/McDonnell or actually pro-free market Tory/liberal government were elected.

PatronizingGit

Perhaps it could be the rebirth of London...ie, as a normal, healthy place to bring up a family, instead of the moral anus of the universe where the only thing all the inhabitants have in common is a desire to make a quick buck and get out.

Certainly central Cambridge these last few months has been a lot nicer place to go into when you arent fighting your way through endless hordes of tourists and students. 

• Agree 2

Austin Allegro
On 01/08/2020 at 21:35, King of Fools said:

Deserted

image.jpeg

'Ere, Gwant!'
'Yes ma?'
'You 'eard about somefink called Cowwona Viwwus?'
'No ma, wassat?'
'I dunno, I ain't never not 'eard of it, and nor as anyone in the 'ole square!'
'Must be one of them contemporary events, ma.'
'Contempowwary ewents?? Don't you ever say that word in 'ere! GET OUT OF MY PUB!'

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3

Austin Allegro
On 02/08/2020 at 11:37, spygirl said:

Thread crosser  TCs n 10m -+2m ...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/city-of-londons-longest-ever-strike-comes-ends-after-bosses-agree-to-pay-cleaners-london-living-wage-a3312691.html

After 58 days of strike action, cleaners from the United Voices of the World Union (UVW) , made up entirely of migrants from South America, ended their “indefinite strike” over working conditions at 100 Wood Street.

All these south American fuckers need putting in the next plane back to Spain, who were the ones who let millions of v low skilled Lsyins into Europe.

Maybe someone finally plucked up the courage to mention their immigration status and they decided it was time to get back to work.

• Agree 1

Segro’s crown as Britain’s largest landlord comes at a princely price

https://www.ft.com/content/7dd61283-5ddc-449a-9152-3b3b8dc46a59

All hail Britain’s largest listed landlord. Gone are the days when British Land or Land Securities’ portfolios of gleaming offices and sparkling shopping centres competed for the crown. Sheds are what are sexy now, Goodbody analyst Colm Lauder points out, and it is Segro that has made it so.

For investors sniffy about such things, Segro’s £11.7bn market cap, about 45 per cent more than the other two contenders’ combined, should help them hold their nose. The former Slough Estates overtook its stuffier London rivals’ equity values more than a year ago. The pandemic has accelerated the shift in status. First, fears over Brexit crimped office valuations at British Land and Landsec. Then it was the value of retail assets that faltered. Soon offices could pull ahead again as the problem du jour, if working from home really does become the new normal.

Office out. Sheds by M1 in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53670199

When the coronavirus lockdown began, asset manager Joanna Coghlan knew she just had to get out of London and move to the countryside.

She had bought a flat in a new development at Battersea Power Station only last year. The complex included restaurants, spas and bars.

But when all those closed down because of the pandemic, the reality of her environment dawned on her.

"I spent seven weeks isolated there and realised that I absolutely hated it," she told the BBC.

"When you take away all the amenities that these developments advertise, then you realise you're just living in a glass box.

"It was a ghost town. It was just very soul-destroying living in this enormous development with no life going on."

Joanna took swift action to remedy her plight. She moved to the village of Datchworth Green in Hertfordshire, where she now has a five-bedroom house with a garden and a view overlooking a cricket pitch.

"I've got lots of space and it's fantastic," she says.

Although she and her boyfriend are currently working from home, she is still close enough to be able to go back to the office.

"I can still commute to London, so it makes it more viable if I had to go back to the daily commute, which I don't think I will any time soon," she says.

Just like that. Jack in the London flat and move to a 5br house in Herts.

How?

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/joanna-coghlan-44688630

After graduating from the University of Exeter in 2010, I worked for an independent estate agents in Battersea. The work was varied, teaching me skills in negotiating and client care in order to build lasting relationships with new and existing clients. It also helped me develop my communication and organisational skills. This foundation was fundamental to my decision to pursue a career in surveying. After completing my MSc I began a graduate training programme at BNP Paribas Real Estate in 2016. I gained extensive experience from three rotations across a number of commercial disciplines. I have excellent communication skills, the ability to build strong rapport with clients and colleagues alike and I am driven by my ambition to progress in my career

History n Politic from Uni, in case you were wondering.

MSc from Oxford Poly in 2016.

Looking at her work history she must lead some charmed life. Or have very rich connected parents.

How can a surveyor work from home FFS?

And as her work is 'mainly CoL' I cant see her being that busy.

Asset Manager

City of London Corporation

May 2020 – Present 4 months

Surveyor

CBRE

Jul 2019 – May 2020 11 months

London, Greater London, United Kingdom

Surveyor at CBRE within the Central London valuation team. I value assets for loan security, accounts and asset pricing with a predominant focus on the City of London.

BNP Paribas Real Estate

2 years 11 months

Chartered Surveyor

Nov 2018 – Jul 2019 9 months

Commercial Valuation

Providing Red Book Valuations for variety of purposes including; secured lending, acquisitions/disposals and accounts. Clients include major banks and building societies, private equity firms, institutions and Prop Cos. Dealing with commercial property in all sectors, with particular experience of office, retail and alternative assets.

Graduate Surveyor

Sep 2016 – Nov 2018 2 years 3 months

London, United Kingdom

Occupier Services/Transaction Management
I assisted with real estate strategies for national corporate clients for a variety of purposes; consolidation, expansion and relocation. I gained experience in scenario testing, modelling lease liabilities, identifying assets for disposal and executing the strategies in order to add value to the Client’s portfolio.

Retail / Leisure Investment & Agency
Advised landlord and tenant clients in securing and disposing of retail/restaurant space...

Show more

Internship

Colliers International UK

Aug 2015 – Sep 2015 2 months

Business Space Lease Advisory

Internship

Chapman and Petrie Chartered Surveyors

Jul 2015 – Jul 20151 month

Picadilly, London

Senior Lettings Negotiator

RAMPTON BASELEY LIMITED

Jun 2010 – Oct 2014 4 years 5 months

Battersea, London

Austin Allegro
15 minutes ago, spygirl said:

When the coronavirus lockdown began, asset manager Joanna Coghlan knew she just had to get out of London and move to the countryside.

She had bought a flat in a new development at Battersea Power Station only last year. The complex included restaurants, spas and bars.

But when all those closed down because of the pandemic, the reality of her environment dawned on her.

"I spent seven weeks isolated there and realised that I absolutely hated it," she told the BBC.

"When you take away all the amenities that these developments advertise, then you realise you're just living in a glass box.

"It was a ghost town. It was just very soul-destroying living in this enormous development with no life going on."

Joanna took swift action to remedy her plight. She moved to the village of Datchworth Green in Hertfordshire, where she now has a five-bedroom house with a garden and a view overlooking a cricket pitch.

"I've got lots of space and it's fantastic," she says.

Although she and her boyfriend are currently working from home, she is still close enough to be able to go back to the office.

"I can still commute to London, so it makes it more viable if I had to go back to the daily commute, which I don't think I will any time soon," she says.

Just like that. Jack in the London flat and move to a 5br house in Herts.

How?

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/joanna-coghlan-44688630

After graduating from the University of Exeter in 2010, I worked for an independent estate agents in Battersea. The work was varied, teaching me skills in negotiating and client care in order to build lasting relationships with new and existing clients. It also helped me develop my communication and organisational skills. This foundation was fundamental to my decision to pursue a career in surveying. After completing my MSc I began a graduate training programme at BNP Paribas Real Estate in 2016. I gained extensive experience from three rotations across a number of commercial disciplines. I have excellent communication skills, the ability to build strong rapport with clients and colleagues alike and I am driven by my ambition to progress in my career

History n Politic from Uni, in case you were wondering.

MSc from Oxford Poly in 2016.

Looking at her work history she must lead some charmed life. Or have very rich connected parents.

How can a surveyor work from home FFS?

And as her work is 'mainly CoL' I cant see her being that busy.

Asset Manager

City of London Corporation

May 2020 – Present 4 months

Surveyor

CBRE

Jul 2019 – May 2020 11 months

London, Greater London, United Kingdom

Surveyor at CBRE within the Central London valuation team. I value assets for loan security, accounts and asset pricing with a predominant focus on the City of London.

BNP Paribas Real Estate

2 years 11 months

Chartered Surveyor

Nov 2018 – Jul 2019 9 months

Commercial Valuation

Providing Red Book Valuations for variety of purposes including; secured lending, acquisitions/disposals and accounts. Clients include major banks and building societies, private equity firms, institutions and Prop Cos. Dealing with commercial property in all sectors, with particular experience of office, retail and alternative assets.

Graduate Surveyor

Sep 2016 – Nov 2018 2 years 3 months

London, United Kingdom

Occupier Services/Transaction Management
I assisted with real estate strategies for national corporate clients for a variety of purposes; consolidation, expansion and relocation. I gained experience in scenario testing, modelling lease liabilities, identifying assets for disposal and executing the strategies in order to add value to the Client’s portfolio.

Retail / Leisure Investment & Agency
Advised landlord and tenant clients in securing and disposing of retail/restaurant space...

Show more

Internship

Colliers International UK

Aug 2015 – Sep 2015 2 months

Business Space Lease Advisory

Internship

Chapman and Petrie Chartered Surveyors

Jul 2015 – Jul 20151 month

Picadilly, London

Senior Lettings Negotiator

RAMPTON BASELEY LIMITED

Jun 2010 – Oct 2014 4 years 5 months

Battersea, London

My guess would be rich boyfriend and/or bank of mum and dad and/or some sort of eyewatering IO mortgage.

It's a total non story anyway because she's still within daily commuting distance of London. She's not doing anything that millions of commuters haven't been doing since the 1920s. I gave up my corporate job in London and moved to a remote country area to run my own business from home a few years ago, and I don't recall the BBC doing a feature on me.

Edited by Austin Allegro

JohnThePessimist

In 1800, Dublin was the second city of the empire. There’s evidence of this in the fine Georgian squares that were built (St Stephen’s Green, Merrion Sq et al). The game changer was the Act of Union 1801. Dublin lost its Parliament & House of Lords. The wealthy migrated to London creating an absentee landlord class. By 1900, those same fine Georgian townhouses contained what were considered at the time, amongst the worst tenements in Europe. Cities can quickly become a backwater.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 3

Chewing Grass
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

For so-called independant journalism the bottom of the article is shocking, the rest was lifted off LinkedIn, it's almost a puff-piece.

No picture of her as well...

Rightmove's research was released as a separate survey from Barclays Mortgages found that the South West of England, with its rural and coastal communities, is a particularly desirable location for those currently in Birmingham, Nottingham, London, and Manchester.

Barclays Mortgages found popular reasons for people wanting to relocate include a bigger garden, being closer to essential services, living where they can exercise easily, being nearer to relatives, and a stronger local community.

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

stop_the_craziness
4 hours ago, spygirl said:

The most interesting bit of that sentence is the bit that is not there but they know that your mind puts it in.  It doesn't say she sold the flat in order to buy a house in Hertfordshire, it just says she MOVED to Hertfordshire.  So it could be that she inherited the 5 bed house, she rents it, it belongs to her boyfriend, her parents or someone who has gone abroad, or any other of a million different reasons.  But the purpose of the article is to make you think that the mythical "someone from London" is coming to buy your over-priced South East house so prices definitely won't drop.

• Agree 7

Wight Flight
10 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

The most interesting bit of that sentence is the bit that is not there but they know that your mind puts it in.  It doesn't say she sold the flat in order to buy a house in Hertfordshire, it just says she MOVED to Hertfordshire.  So it could be that she inherited the 5 bed house, she rents it, it belongs to her boyfriend, her parents or someone who has gone abroad, or any other of a million different reasons.  But the purpose of the article is to make you think that the mythical "someone from London" is coming to buy your over-priced South East house so prices definitely won't drop.

Oddly nothing seems to have sold in Datchworth Green recently.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/sg3/datchworth-green.html

But I guess 'moved back in with mummy and daddy' isn't quite such an interesting story.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Lol 2

Austin Allegro
48 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Good heavens Holmes, how on earth do you do it??

I must confess I didn't notice that. Very, very good point.

Also very interesting about Dublin being abandoned. Something similar happened in the interwar period, all those areas of inner London that were formerly 'shabby genteel' such as Notting Hill or North Kensington just became 'shabby' as the owners of those big wedding-cake terraced houses couldn't get the servants necessary to run them and moved out to the newer suburbs instead. They only started becoming gentrified again in the 1980s.

Edited by Austin Allegro

SimilarBS. But its Mail, so expected.

Escape to the country! Estate agents see a 125% increase in people looking to relocate to villages amid the coronavirus work from home boom as the top rural hot spots being targeted by city dwellers are revealed

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8598011/Escape-country-Surge-city-dwellers-inquiring-homes-villages.html

Does raise some questions.

Wholl buy the house in the city?

Have they checked the broadband out?

What job will they do? And can they afford the commute?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I think she must be the only Whitey in Battersea.

As far as being empty then no change. All idiot Malay n Chink investment, kept empty.