DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

There is no sensible way, by train, to get from anywhere south of London to anywhere north of London.

Taking the drain from Waterloo to the City is an outlier there - got to be the best main line connection, much more preferable than tube in from  Paddington.

Austin Allegro
22 hours ago, onlyme said:

The appeal for crossrail was getting across from Paddington to the City, especially for those already spending hours to getting into  Paddington rather than another 40 minutes more on the existing  tube lines.  Looking at the chart of use it is worse than it first looks,  the professional / city commuter traffic has collapsed, that would be the money making bit for crossrail. 

Something similar happened in 1941 when the northern extension to the Northern Line was mothballed because of the war. It was intended to go out to Elstree, Radlett and Borehamwood as it was expected that those places would become part of greater London as endless rows of semi-detached mock tudor houses spread. After the war the Town and Country Planning Act established the Green Belt, and since the land could not be built on, the line was pointless.

The Generation Game
9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

There is no sensible way, by train, to get from anywhere south of London to anywhere north of London.

Or East to West (or vice versa) without either one end being London or going between the Roses. 

There are the odd cross-country trains that seem to have an endless journey time. Seem to recall one is Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich. 

Yadda yadda yadda

Might as well finish crossrail now. Mothballing would cost money and the completion cost will increase exponentially the longer it is left. Should have been open 2 years ago.

London transport will be fucked for years. Probably won't exceed 80% of previous use for at least 5 years. Too many will be working from home. Too few tourists. It is actually the ideal time to automate and fuck over the tube drivers.

Sheffield to Crystal Palace should be much easier now. Change at St Pancras for Thameslink to London Bridge and then get the train to Crystal Palace. Might be quicker to stay on to East Croydon and go back a few stops (if going to Crystal Palace FC).

South East London, Kent, Brighton and Gatwick to a lot of places north of London is a lot easier now.

Edited by Yadda yadda yadda
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Or East to West (or vice versa) without either one end being London or going between the Roses. 

There are the odd cross-country trains that seem to have an endless journey time. Seem to recall one is Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich. 

I used to live in Wokingham. Briefly.

On the map, it's less than 30 miles to  Wloo.

Great. I thought. I'll be able to nip into London for beers after work, expecting a sub 30min train journey.

Jesus.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Norwich trains go to Liverpool Lime Street and London Liverpool Street.

You'd be amazed at how many people end up in the wrong city:D

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I used to live in Wokingham. Briefly.

On the map, it's less than 30 miles to  Wloo.

Great. I thought. I'll be able to nip into London for beers after work, expecting a sub 30min train journey.

Jesus.

I live in Winchester. You can get to Waterloo in 58 minutes. No wonder its fucking rammed with London refugees!!!

8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Norwich trains go to Liverpool Lime Street and London Liverpool Street.

You'd be amazed at how many people end up in the wrong city:D

I'm just amazed Norwich has a station.

17 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

I live in Winchester. You can get to Waterloo in 58 minutes. No wonder its fucking rammed with London refugees!!!

Winchester us relatively nice. Well, chalk river nearby.

Sham just a dull fucking motorway town. With a very slow train. It stops every minutes. You could replace the train line and cycle quicker.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Winchester us relatively nice.

I think that's the first time I've seen you say anything remotely positive about a uk town. Must be bloody fantastic.

• Lol 5

7 hours ago, steppensheep said:

I think that's the first time I've seen you say anything remotely positive about a uk town. Must be bloody fantastic.

Nah. Ive been complementary about loads.

I like bradford on avon, weymouth, newcastle, and others.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/30/london-suffers-worst-fall-among-major-european-cities-for-job-vacancies

Job postings in London have plummeted by 50%, compared to a 42% decline for the rest of the UK, in a reflection of the city’s density and typical opportunities for work during normal times – such as in retail, hospitality and leisure – which have been hit hardest by the pandemic.

The figures tally with research from the Bank of England, which suggests social consumption – spending that involves interaction with other people – contributes more to the UK economy than in other countries. The Bank also estimates social spending can recover faster in countries where Covid has been more contained.

According to Indeed, Madrid suffered the second-biggest decline, at 46%, while job postings elsewhere across Spain are down by 39%. Berlin sustained the least damage, although it followed the same pattern, with a 25% fall in the German capital versus 17% for the rest of the country.

Job postings fell by 40% in Paris, compared with 24% for the rest of France, and 35% in Rome, versus 24% for the rest of Italy.

Almost like the London economy was made up of lwo paid foreign people working in coffee shops ...

• Agree 2

Chewing Grass
8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

The Bank also estimates social spending can recover faster in countries where Covid has been more contained.

That is a pretty dodgy assumption by 'the bank', the complete opposite could also be equally true.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/30/london-suffers-worst-fall-among-major-european-cities-for-job-vacancies

Job postings in London have plummeted by 50%, compared to a 42% decline for the rest of the UK, in a reflection of the city’s density and typical opportunities for work during normal times – such as in retail, hospitality and leisure – which have been hit hardest by the pandemic.

The figures tally with research from the Bank of England, which suggests social consumption – spending that involves interaction with other people – contributes more to the UK economy than in other countries. The Bank also estimates social spending can recover faster in countries where Covid has been more contained.

According to Indeed, Madrid suffered the second-biggest decline, at 46%, while job postings elsewhere across Spain are down by 39%. Berlin sustained the least damage, although it followed the same pattern, with a 25% fall in the German capital versus 17% for the rest of the country.

Job postings fell by 40% in Paris, compared with 24% for the rest of France, and 35% in Rome, versus 24% for the rest of Italy.

Almost like the London economy was made up of lwo paid foreign people working in coffee shops ...

will these EUers go home? Doubt it, they are still better off here than home

Mitchells & Butlers chief says many central London sites still ‘unviable’ post-lockdown

Data show visits to shops and amenities in the City failed to recover before latest restrictions

https://www.ft.com/content/f06109dc-975b-423d-bf57-ea061fe0db8b

The head of one of the UK’s largest hospitality businesses has said it would be “unviable” to open many sites in central London after the second lockdown ends, as data show footfall is unlikely to recover soon in the capital despite the looser restrictions. For “most London businesses

in the city, the main occasion is people meeting after work and now you can only mix in family units, but not many families come to London”, said Phil Urban, chief executive of Mitchells & Butlers, which runs around 1,700 pubs, bars and restaurants across the UK.

da928010-30da-11eb-bb6c-0579fb8cf429-sta

9fbb79e0-309b-11eb-80f7-7d899e3592a7-sta

58da2f90-3090-11eb-b770-e58229cce0b7-sta

• Informative 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55182000

The government has cut £1bn from the rail infrastructure budget following the chancellor's Spending Review.

Rishi Sunak had previously promised record infrastructure investment as part of the government's "levelling up" agenda.

Until now, Network Rail's "enhancement" budget for the five year period from 2019-24 had been set at £10.4bn.

But, this week rail minister Chris Heaton-Harris said that the budget would now be £9.4bn.

That has put a question mark over some long-planned improvements to rail infrastructure.

The BBC has contacted the government for comment.

Considering that most rail money was spent in London and South this will be interesting.

The North has only got rid of the crap tracers trains this weeks.

Few people seem to be training to London.

How long will this continue???

On 04/12/2020 at 08:40, spygirl said:

Few people seem to be training to London.

How long will this continue???

Forever hopefully. I'm looking forward to dancing on GWR's grave. Fucking ripoff merchants.

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 3

Theres likely to be further changes in numbers going to London next summer.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-lloyd-webber-announces-theatre-reopening-dates-after-coronavirus-shutdown-12152127

"The composer said he was "hugely optimistic" about the return of audiences after the COVID-19 vaccine rollout, as he revealed most of his theatres would be open again by early next summer - more than a year since they were closed due to the pandemic."

He also mentions his new musical,  Cinderella to open in this period.

I predict further falls in trips to Central Lloyd London after this announcement (sponsored by Pfizer). Thanks for the warning Sir Webber. My ear drums are saved.

s-l400.jpg.e3c79fab8275027e97e17627b7238462.jpg

Edited by The Grey Man