DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Death Of London

spygirl

7 hours ago, Bornagain said:

I use Bangalore as an example, it could just as easily be Grimsby, Scunthorpe or Hull.

Even regional UK accents can be a problem.

Just now, Wight Flight said:

That's a whole new topic right there.

But there should be absolutely no problem in this day and age to send calls to a local call center.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Rare Bear said:

But there should be absolutely no problem in this day and age to send calls to a local call center.

How do you define local?

Just now, Wight Flight said:

How do you define local?

Maybe 40 or 50 miles from where the call originates. Not perfect but probably a lot better than someone from Cornwall trying to understand a strong Geordie accent.

• Agree 1

The Generation Game
6 hours ago, Bornagain said:

If a business really is global then this could well be the push that they need to give it a go.

Modern, woke wankers will not believe that a cheap Indian or eastern european is not as good as a Brit. To say that they are not is racist innit.

Time will tell.

In my last (finsec) role, we had sales teams in London, Luxembourg and Switzerland. 

The operations teams were in CZ and India. Indians can do the monkey (as opposed to organ grinder) part for the English speaking customers (for a fraction of the price) and the Czech team was effectively fulfilling the same role but for the German and French parts of the business. 

At one point I was in a team with some Swiss colleagues and some Indian colleagues, all almost performing the same role.  I went on the assumption that they could get 5 of me for one Swiss colleague and 5 Indians for one of me. I'm still not sure who was the be best value. 

I honestly was shocked at how crap some of the Indians' English was (considering that it was almost first language for a lot of them). 

Eventually everything that can be done outside of the high cost bases of western Europe will be done so, to the extent that my vision of the entire workforce being in India, with a corporate face in London, is probably not far off the truth. I'm sure my Swiss and Lux colleagues also realised this, which would be reflected in how obstinate they were. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

17 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Maybe 40 or 50 miles from where the call originates. Not perfect but probably a lot better than someone from Cornwall trying to understand a strong Geordie accent.

Now that's a conversation I'd love to hear.

"Can ee tell ws who i'm tokkin too toodaire?"

"Jethro"

"Way aye, can ee identifee yoursel, man?"

"I be me"

"and wots the nairm of yor first pet, pet"

"Jethro"

"and yor moother's mairden nairm?"

"Jethro"

• Lol 3

Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

No. Just don't employ someone with an unintelligible accent in a call centre.

The UK is in a very convenient time zone. You can't simply outsource all work to different places unless it fits in with the needs of the business in that time zone. 

On 07/08/2021 at 10:41, Errol said:

This is why London won't truly recover. The Government doesn't understand that people hated offices and commuting.

In the US it's less take pay cut, more change employee.

The change is US immigration policy, which started tye arse end of Clinton us coming to roost.

US switched from work skill based migration to poor summers. The US pop has increased but tge number of employable workers has fallen.

Companies have kidded themselves tgats there a large pool of skilled workers out there.

There isnt.

The other lie is that tge expansion if HE has increased the numbers of skilled workers. It hasn't. Majority ofUGs are probably less employable than a 16yo now.

Similar to the UK.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Bornagain said:

If you really can work from home then somebody else can do the same job from Bangalore.

They will cost a lot less than you -10%.

This is the horrible truth that some people are going to learn over the next few years.

No they cant. You need to understand the business/ area you are working on. Most 

Indians are clueless. Then you find out how low skilled they are.

If Indians had those skills there would be an Indian Microsoft or Googke. There isnt.

Seriously.

Take Bangaloe outsorcers . Asking around, all out sourced services have failed since January.

What you save in salary cost, you loose in extra costs in India - utilities are very expensive.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Older workers and Londoners face highest risk as furlough scheme ends

Warning that ‘concerted effort’ needed to stop city becoming unemployment capital

https://www.ft.com/content/ce615d77-fc5c-4ca7-b078-e8c4a401788d

Older workers and Londoners face highest risk as furlough scheme ends | Financial Times (archive.ph)

• 1 month later...

Worthy of it's own thread, on main forum...

Transport for London’s funding crisis puts UK recovery at risk

Clipping London’s wings will not help other cities and regions to soar

https://www.ft.com/content/75c55e07-0107-4961-af0e-795b8eea7913

Its removing the vast subs and making them a bit more equitable.

London commuters appear to be still at 20% 

• Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/05/2020 at 08:32, spygirl said:

https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/renting/london-renters-expected-to-increase-by-122-per-cent-in-next-decade-a135796.html

Private renters now account for 30 per cent of all households in London, which equates roughly to 2.7 million tenants, according to a new study by CBRE.

These are the  above board, official rentals i.e. not beds in sheds. The actual number of private rents is probably 20-30% higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

At the 2011 census, London had a population of 8,173,941. Of this number 44.9% were White British. 37% of the population were born outside the UK, including 24.5% born outside of Europe.[2]

Thats the 2011 census. The foreign  population is much larger today.

Just to reinforce this point -

Third of people in London have not had any jabs

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/third-of-people-in-london-have-not-had-any-jabs-crgcj5g7c

More than one in four people in some local authority areas remain unvaccinated

In the Newtown ward of central Birmingham, the government’s “Get boosted now” slogan means nothing to half of over-16s, because they have not had any vaccination against Covid at all.

It is a similar story in Westminster and Camden in London where among the over-12s, 30% have not had a single jab. In Nottingham, a quarter of the whole population face the coming Omicron “tidal wave” unvaccinated.

The vaccination scramble is not just about boosters but about persuading millions to get any jab at all.

“Omicron will unevenly hit the least protected,” said Jim McManus, the president of the Association of Directors of Public Health. “We have two jobs: to get the vaccines into as many arms as possible and really get into the communities with the worst uptake.”

In Birmingham, one of the least vaccinated groups is Chinese 18- to 29-year-olds, who, according to the city council’s public health director, Dr Justin Varney, have been so heavily influenced by anti-vax messaging on Chinese social media that three out of four are not vaccinated.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/15/millions-of-unjabbed-a-key-concern-as-england-scrambles-to-vaccinate

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Yadda yadda yadda
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

In Birmingham, one of the least vaccinated groups is Chinese 18- to 29-year-olds, who, according to the city council’s public health director, Dr Justin Varney, have been so heavily influenced by anti-vax messaging on Chinese social media that three out of four are not vaccinated.

I wonder what the Chinese know about the vaccine that they provided the raw data for?

The Chinese are encouraging the vaccine amongst Americans, just not amongst Chinese. Interesting.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

I wonder what the Chinese know about the vaccine that they provided the raw data for?

The Chinese are encouraging the vaccine amongst Americans, just not amongst Chinese. Interesting.

Too tinfoil.

They'll be here illegally and dotn want to raise their head.

Yadda yadda yadda
12 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Too tinfoil.

They'll be here illegally and dotn want to raise their head.

That doesn't address the quote about Chinese social media, tightly state controlled, putting people off jabs. Either that is true or it isn't.

No cockle picking in Birmingham. There are Universities though, one quite good. Sure there will be some illegals but you would need at least half of them to be so to start to explain a 75% refusal rate. Even then the Government would arrange a no questions asked vaccine bus like they did in London's Chinatown.

• Agree 1

Regent Street... four days before Christmas: Crowds ABANDON the West End as self-policing Britons put THEMSELVES in lockdown by staying at home and avoiding pubs and restaurants

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10331623/THIRD-bars-pubs-clubs-close-NYE-Hospitality-bosses-plead-CLARITY.html

52061621-10331623-image-a-180_1640090432

A very quiet Regent Street in London's West End at about 11.30am this morning as major shopping routes are deserted

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Regent Street... four days before Christmas: Crowds ABANDON the West End as self-policing Britons put THEMSELVES in lockdown by staying at home and avoiding pubs and restaurants

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10331623/THIRD-bars-pubs-clubs-close-NYE-Hospitality-bosses-plead-CLARITY.html

52061621-10331623-image-a-180_1640090432

A very quiet Regent Street in London's West End at about 11.30am this morning as major shopping routes are deserted

Total bollocks.

I spent the weekend in that area, and never saw anything like that. My guess is that picture was taken during lockdown 1.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 2