• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Have just been thinking that as a person who is working from home I am now a target to being outsourced from another cheaper country as working from home remotely means you can be replaced by a fuckwit from India (or anywhere else) by the company to boost their profitability (if they actually are making one).

So if I can do my normal stuff in half the time at home in effect they could theoretically have eight foreigners for the price of me working abroad with plenty of spare cash to deal with the fuck-ups.

You have been warned, chop, chop, choppety chop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought. If you're working from home does you home become your workplace and therefore a business premises?

How does this affect, rates, insurance, mortgage or rental rules, etc etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your company is likely to be saving money with you at home. So if you're doing a good job and is a bit cheaper, then that might stave off Indians.

I think there is a push back against out sourcing atm (I'm in IT). Though we do have a Shanghai site - this could be interesting if there's any anti Chinese sentiment down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Just a thought. If you're working from home does you home become your workplace and therefore a business premises?

How does this affect, rates, insurance, mortgage or rental rules, etc etc?

Shhhh, don't tell anyone or home-working will be outsourced to countries that don't give a fuck about such shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Shhhh, don't tell anyone or home-working will be outsourced to countries that don't give a fuck about such shit.

More likely is that the UK will become one of those countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Have just been thinking that as a person who is working from home I am now a target to being outsourced from another cheaper country as working from home remotely means you can be replaced by a fuckwit from India (or anywhere else) by the company to boost their profitability (if they actually are making one).

So if I can do my normal stuff in half the time at home in effect they could theoretically have eight foreigners for the price of me working abroad with plenty of spare cash to deal with the fuck-ups.

You have been warned, chop, chop, choppety chop

It depends what you do.

I was targeted for redundo and job to be sent to India. Then our customer's customers said they weren't happy with personal data going to India. There's probably some workaround if the problem is GDPR compliance but our problem was PCI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Just a thought. If you're working from home does you home become your workplace and therefore a business premises?

How does this affect, rates, insurance, mortgage or rental rules, etc etc?

It does indeed. We had an office in the grounds of our old house (converted garage). I rang up to check we didn't need to register for rates and an official and his sidekick hotfooted to our place toot sweet. They couldn't get to us fast enough. The office/garage was registered for rates despite our protestations (husband and wife office based business with no employees). Hilariously, we ended up with 100% rate relief and then dropped our house down one council tax band. Ended up about £500 per annum better off. I had to have a lie down, I was laughing so much.

:D

We told our house insurer and they were not bothered other than excluding business contents. We had a separate business contents policy which picked this up along with public liability insurance (which we needed anyway).

The garage/office was heated by electric and we installed a check meter so we could apportion our bills.

I think we told our mortgage company:wanker:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

It does indeed. We had an office in the grounds of our old house (converted garage). I rang up to check we didn't need to register for rates and an official and his sidekick hotfooted to our place toot sweet. They couldn't get to us fast enough. The office/garage was registered for rates despite our protestations (husband and wife office based business with no employees). Hilariously, we ended up with 100% rate relief and then dropped our house down one council tax band. Ended up about £500 per annum better off. I had to have a lie down, I was laughing so much.

:D

We told our house insurer and they were not bothered other than excluding business contents. We had a separate business contents policy which picked this up along with public liability insurance (which we needed anyway).

The garage/office was heated by electric and we installed a check meter so we could apportion our bills.

I think we told our mortgage company:wanker:

But I assume you got hit with CGT on sale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Just a thought. If you're working from home does you home become your workplace and therefore a business premises?

How does this affect, rates, insurance, mortgage or rental rules, etc etc?

I work from home as a software developer.  My "office" is a room that I also use for other purposes.  The business is not run from my home - I work for a large company - and there is no dedicated business space within my home.  I have no business visitors or any dealing with the public from my home.

https://www.gov.uk/introduction-to-business-rates/working-at-home

https://www.lv.com/home-insurance/working-from-home

So, the simple answer is that for some cases there is no effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wight Flight said:

But I assume you got hit with CGT on sale?

No. Sold 2 years ago (for £250,000 more than we paid for it). However we had comprehensively refurbished, extended and upgraded the property in the 12 years we lived there. If need be, we could have proved that we'd made very little 'profit' in that time. I'm not sure that adding an office (and removing a garage) would have made much value difference in any case. One potential buyer was going to convert the office back to a garage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

No. Sold 2 years ago (for £250,000 more than we paid for it). However we had comprehensively refurbished, extended and upgraded the property in the 12 years we lived there. If need be, we could have proved that we'd made very little 'profit' in that time. I'm not sure that adding an office (and removing a garage) would have made much value difference in any case. One potential buyer was going to convert the office back to a garage!

Hmmmm.

Not so sure.

I think we have found a tax evader. Stone him. 😀😀

https://www.krwaccountants.co.uk/krw-news/krw-q-a/item/working-from-home-what-are-the-capital-gains-tax-implications.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Option5 said:

Just a thought. If you're working from home does you home become your workplace and therefore a business premises?

How does this affect, rates, insurance, mortgage or rental rules, etc etc?

It only an issue if you claim tax relief for it (because otherwise noone is any the wiser are they). Cant see this ever being an issue unless you take piss e.g. running a taxi service or knocking shop from your house.

Edited by goldbug9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an elephant in the room.

You are all discussing working from home as if you are Jacob Rees Mogg retiring to his study to do some reading whilst Nanny looks after the brood.

How does this work out for the 23 year old in an hmo with four benefit bunnies, trying to work from his tiny room whilst they smoke dope in the kitchen.

For many younger people, I don't think home is somewhere they want to spend that many hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

There is an elephant in the room.

You are all discussing working from home as if you are Jacob Rees Mogg retiring to his study to do some reading whilst Nanny looks after the brood.

How does this work out for the 23 year old in an hmo with four benefit bunnies, trying to work from his tiny room whilst they smoke dope in the kitchen.

For many younger people, I don't think home is somewhere they want to spend that many hours.

23 year olds have jobs? I thought most were on the permadegree merry go round that never ends, at Shitsville Brooks university :CryBaby:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

23 year olds have jobs? I thought most were on the permadegree merry go round that never ends, at Shitsville Brooks university :CryBaby:

Odd as it may seem, yes, some of them do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By sarahbell
      https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/many-children-manchester-growing-up-14848421#ICID=Android_MENNewsApp_AppShare

      According to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics more than a quarter of kids and teenagers in the city live in a ‘workless’ households.
      Alison Garnham, chief executive of Child Poverty Action Group, said: “The bigger picture shows that a full two thirds of children below the official poverty line have at least one working parent.
       
      MUCH further down the article...
      The good news is that the proportion of families where no-one works is actually falling.
      Six years ago in Manchester it stood at 31pc.
       
       
    • By The Masked Tulip
      Reports of gunfire, people being held hostage. It is a veteran's home.
      It is the Yountville Veterans Home. At least 3 hostages.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.