• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Mellie

How dangerous are Stihl saws?

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking of doing my back garden, and the weapon of choice for cutting paving slabs seems to be the petrol Stihl saw with integrated water suppression. 

Something like this:

https://www.farmers-equipment.co.uk/product/stihl-ts-410-petrol-disc-cutter/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2P3b4M-X6QIV1-vtCh3k0gEEEAQYASABEgJ9mvD_BwE

My question is how easy is it to do myself a serious mischief with it? Watching on YouTube they look pretty scary, but are they in reality? And does anyone know if there's a basic training course to go on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes there will be a course/certificatefor somebody using them commercially. I would advise eye protection, mask, and chain mail trousers and gloves. I'm not a H&S nutter, BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, have used on on top of a set of step ladders to cut a doorway in a masonry wall.

Fucking scary things if you are not used to them, fortunately you know that as soon as you start 'em.

Common sense required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Yep, have used on on top of a set of step ladders to cut a doorway in a masonry wall.

Fucking scary things if you are not used to them, fortunately you know that as soon as you start 'em.

Common sense required.

And you went up a ladder with one. Sounds scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm thinking of doing my back garden, and the weapon of choice for cutting paving slabs seems to be the petrol Stihl saw with integrated water suppression. 

Something like this:

https://www.farmers-equipment.co.uk/product/stihl-ts-410-petrol-disc-cutter/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2P3b4M-X6QIV1-vtCh3k0gEEEAQYASABEgJ9mvD_BwE

My question is how easy is it to do myself a serious mischief with it? Watching on YouTube they look pretty scary, but are they in reality? And does anyone know if there's a basic training course to go on?

you're gonna die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would practice with a 9 inch angle grinder and diamond blade first and wouldnt touch one if i wasnt 100% confident with that. You might find the 9 inch does the job anyway. They are step up from the 9inch grinder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

That's when I realised how close to the edge I was with regard to the common sense.

I have serious respect for chainsaws and grinders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

I would practice with a 9 inch angle grinder and diamond blade first and wouldnt touch one if i wasnt 100% confident with that. You might find the 9 inch does the job anyway. They are step up from the 9inch grinder.

I think this might be where I end up. An electric 9 inch angle grinder, I'll probably get through a few more discs and it will take a bit longer but they look a lot easier to handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The petrol disc cutter will be safe if you are just cutting slabs on the floor.

The Hitach 9" electric grinder is the one to get but you can't use water for the dust suppression.

You can cut rebar if you have a rebar cutting blade.

DiaBlade.jpg.0ac5643865dfec723d64843cfc3e9b88.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm thinking of doing my back garden, and the weapon of choice for cutting paving slabs seems to be the petrol Stihl saw with integrated water suppression. 

Something like this:

https://www.farmers-equipment.co.uk/product/stihl-ts-410-petrol-disc-cutter/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2P3b4M-X6QIV1-vtCh3k0gEEEAQYASABEgJ9mvD_BwE

My question is how easy is it to do myself a serious mischief with it? Watching on YouTube they look pretty scary, but are they in reality? And does anyone know if there's a basic training course to go on?

That's faster than my old moped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not used a Stihl saw but well practised with chainsaws. Slightly different risk factors and handling but same outcome if it goes wrong! 

I had safety trousers, safety gloves, helmet with visor, safety boots. Didn't bother with a safety tunic. Sweating like a pig after about 20 minutes of use even in cold weather.

There are horror stories out there of the mishandling of these bits of kit. I'm aware of a Chartered Surveyor (my profession) in his mid 50's dying after cutting logs with a chainsaw. Got kick back and he severed the main artery in his leg. Dead in less than 10 minutes.

Then there is my brother in law who once was cutting a branch off a tree from a cherry picker (with chainsaw and with zero protection - he doesn't do H&S). Apparently the branch was fucking massive. Upon cutting it feel straight down onto the base of the cherry picker. The cherry picker platform violently swung backwards and forwards but miraculously didn't fall over. He might not have been wearing safety trousers when he went up but he had to change his kecks when he got back down. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Yes there will be a course/certificatefor somebody using them commercially. I would advise eye protection, mask, and chain mail trousers and gloves. I'm not a H&S nutter, BTW.

This^

Stood chatting to a neighbour once watching another neighbour who was a bit "tapped" up in a tree with a rented chainsaw and no protective gear whatsoever.

He asked which would you prefer, a chainsaw going into your leg or a bullet. We both agreed we would take our chances with the bullet.

I have a friend who uses Stihl saws regularly and he has recounted various horrors he has seen on sites with these things, and that is with people who have the training and the certs.

I'd get somebody in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm thinking of doing my back garden, and the weapon of choice for cutting paving slabs seems to be the petrol Stihl saw with integrated water suppression. 

Something like this:

https://www.farmers-equipment.co.uk/product/stihl-ts-410-petrol-disc-cutter/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2P3b4M-X6QIV1-vtCh3k0gEEEAQYASABEgJ9mvD_BwE

My question is how easy is it to do myself a serious mischief with it? Watching on YouTube they look pretty scary, but are they in reality? And does anyone know if there's a basic training course to go on?

For 600 quid you could pay someone else to come if for a few days just to do the cutting part for you. And don’t forget how much your family will save on funeral costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

For 600 quid you could pay someone else to come if for a few days just to do the cutting part for you. And don’t forget how much your family will save on funeral costs.

That's what I'm thinking, just get someone round to do the cutting. I'd get the brother in law round, he's done site work all his life and wouldn't think twice, but I'm not sure about the quality of the work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

That's what I'm thinking, just get someone round to do the cutting. I'd get the brother in law round, he's done site work all his life and wouldn't think twice, but I'm not sure about the quality of the work.

No offence, but even if he’s a bit shit he’d likely cut straighter than a beginner like yourself, surely? I know that if I did it, it would end up looking a right fucking mess (and covered in blood and giblets).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chainsaw - real dangerous - the teeth shape, the material and the way the wood is in the air / being cut at different angles make grabbing and kickback a real possibility all the times.  Would I recommend a course before using a chainsaw - absolutely. 

Stone saw -  no problem at all IMO in comparison, especially if working with materials on ground, they look a lot scarier than they are, decent boots and trousers though at all times and eye protection, mask as well if cutting dry.  It is trickier to get a square cut than it looks (vertically) i.e.unintentionally rocking over and not holding it truly vertical.   

If you've handled a larger angle grinder at any time this should not be a problem.  Only time I've had a real handful with a grinder is trying to use a wire brush attachment - same issue as with the chainsaw - the brush suddenly grabbing on the material being worked on, standard stone (ad even metal) cutting does like the stone saw don't tend to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Chainsaw - real dangerous - the teeth shape, the material and the way the wood is in the air / being cut at different angles make grabbing and kickback a real possibility all the times.  Would I recommend a course before using a chainsaw - absolutely. 

Stone saw -  no problem at all IMO in comparison, especially if working with materials on ground, they look a lot scarier than they are, decent boots and trousers though at all times and eye protection, mask as well if cutting dry.  It is trickier to get a square cut than it looks (vertically) i.e.unintentionally rocking over and not holding it truly vertical.   

If you've handled a larger angle grinder at any time this should not be a problem.  Only time I've had a real handful with a grinder is trying to use a wire brush attachment - same issue as with the chainsaw - the brush suddenly grabbing on the material being worked on, standard stone (ad even metal) cutting does like the stone saw don't tend to do that.

That's the other thing... I'd like a curved patio, so not trivial cuts. I'm definitely getting someone in to do the cuts. If I can get the bro in law up for a few days he'll piss it. He'll have the right gear aswell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.