• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Where's the money gone?

Been thinking about this and my little brain hurts.

If this episode is going to cost the taxpayer $trillions, who has got it?

I understand that pubs will have lost a fortune, but also been given a fortune. 

Staff have been furloughed, so the majority of people have lost nothing, but spent less.

The loans being given to small firms today will be spent back in the economy.

So who has actually got what the taxpayer has lost?

Is this in reality the greatest transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich ever seen?

5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Staff have been furloughed, so the majority of people have lost nothing, but spent less.

Is this in reality the greatest transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich ever seen?

We encouraged them by not hanging them from lampposts in 2008. Yes, anyway, I believe this is exactly what it is.

The taxpayer just gave pharmaceutical corporations £330M / year for the next 5 years at the vaccine pledging conference.

https://www.gavi.org/news/media-room/gavi-welcomes-uk-funding-pledge

It would seem the companies will not be required to forego the intellectual property rights to any vaccine developed but promise to make the product 'affordable'. Presumably the taxpayer will be paying for the products it has payed to develop via the NHS? At least we can rest easy knowing NHS always gets the best deals xD The UK will be hosting the next month's conference https://www.gavi.org/investing-gavi/resource-mobilisation-process/gavis-3rd-donor-pledging-conference-june-2020 I wonder how many of those corporations will be linked to GAVI / Wellcome Trust / Gates Foundation ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

The BoE has printed and lent to the government. The government has / is in the process of spending it.

The BoE thus has more 'assets'. The government (aka taxpayer) thus has increased liabilities.

Asset prices have been propped up. And businesses / individuals kept afloat. The money won't be paid back conventionally

It's all bollox.

The pound hasn't taken a beating as most other countries are doing the same. You want to be in hard assets long term. 

Edited by A tremendous # on the lung

All I can see is a massive destruction of wealth, most of which appears to be completely pointless. It is exactly what i would do if I wanted to crash a state backed, private, debt based, fiat currency and replace it with a positive sovereign currency. If all the major countries acted in unison they could blow out all the hidden wealth in off-shore bank accounts. Only legally held old currency would be transferable to the new currency thus rendering all the off-shore currency valueless overnight. 

I can but hope!

I feel that you are over-analysing. Most so-called developed countries for the last 15 years have just printed their own money, creating money (debt = wealth) out of thin air. In a zombie economy this is the only game in town. As for people wondering why the stock market hasn't crashed, the reasons here are linked again -- for 15 years, the stock market has not been linked to the real economy itself, it is actually linked to the ability to print cash. It's very much the tail wagging the dog.

They create money out of thin air, they spend it themselves and hand it to their mates, and laugh at people like us who think that money is tangible.

Every so often one of their talking heads comes along to say that the "alternative would have been way worse", and throws in a few references to the Great Depression, which of course barely affected the UK anyway.

2 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

NHS - you'll soon be seeing (more) doctors on a million pounds a year, NHS administrators and chief execs on many hundreds of thousands, maybe nurses average salary 100k 

giphy.gif