• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sasquatch

Metal detecting

Bit bored this morning so was having a peruse through the portable antiquities site. I think there are a few self confessed detectorists on dosbods so thought a specific thread might be of interest.

I've been detecting on and off for the last 7 or 8 years. Excellent mindfulness IMHO. Gets you out into the fresh air, a bit of exercise and the slight chance that you might actually dig up something interesting. For example a friend of mine found five gold celtic staters last year. Was I jealous? Oh yes!

Anyway, link below to one of my finds. It's an early Roman umbonate enamel bronze brooch. A really nice one and something relatively rare.

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/878033

Not just metal objects as well. If you keep your eyes peeled, other items can be found. I've got a piece of a tile from a roman hypocaust floor and often find flint tools. Link below is for a neolithic flint knife tool I found last year. Approx 4000 to 2500 BC. Just lying there on top of the ploughed soil.

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/983436

My dad used to do it but he was never very forthcoming about the details. I quite fancy it - can you just buy some gear and off you go or is there licenses and stuff?

3 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

My dad used to do it but he was never very forthcoming about the details. I quite fancy it - can you just buy some gear and off you go or is there licenses and stuff?

Only trespassing. So get permission first. If you find half of Saxon England, the Crown, or the landowner may have some rights on it, but not if it's a coke can, and a horse shoe. It's yours.

4 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

You need permission from the land owner or you end up being labelled a nighthawker (and potentially facing a criminal charges). Getting permissions is properly difficult. Or you can join a club and that gets you through the permission problem.

Then it's best to join the National Council of Metal Detecting (less than a tenner) and that gives you all important public liability cover.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Only trespassing. So get permission first. If you find half of Saxon England, the Crown, or the landowner may have some rights on it, but not if it's a coke can, and a horse shoe. It's yours.

Quite correct. My pal has had to hand in the five gold staters for recording. They may or may not get them back. If the latter, it's likely a museum will buy them and half of the money goes to the landowner, the other half to the detectorist.

I gave a guy permission to detect on my land last year. He found nothing of value, but a couple of items that fascinated me. The first was an 1840s commemorative medal celebrating a successful sea voyage of a missionary by the name of John Williams, IIRC. This guy was a bit of an Uncle Albert by all accounts and was on his fifth ship by the time he finally died in the New Hebrides, when a bunch of cannibals he was trying to convert decided to eat him instead. It took me about a day to track it down as I was able to read only a few words of text on the back, and had a rough idea of the shape of the ship on the front.

The second was a 1760-1820 King George Halfpenny. It was only identifiable by the worn shape of the head on the front, the back side being completely smooth. But there was something about it that just wasn't right and I couldn't convince myself of what it was. In the end I googled "counterfeit King George Halfpenny" and within 10 minutes found an image of a counterfeit coin with exactly the same issues as mine has - including almost identical but incorrect weight and diameter. They're so close a match that I think they may have come from the same press, but that one was found in France.

It's such a pity to not know the back story of these kind of things. Whilst a hoard of viking gold would have been a welcome find, these two items intrigued me.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

I found a button from kings rifles. And a bottle top from some medicine. And lots of rusty metal. Only been a handful of times.

Oh and a George 3rd coin 

Get some discrimination programmed in and you should avoid that rusty metal....

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Get some discrimination programmed in and you should avoid that rusty metal....

I was told to dig everything to start with. I'm collecting tractor parts. Nearly got enough to build one. 

I've got a simplex +. The buttons are really hard to press. 

I occasionally see detectorists on the beach going along the strandline following high tide.

I've never really understood what they expect to find? Surely the only metal light enough to float and get washed up on the strandline would be old alu drinks cans?

30 minutes ago, Royston said:

I occasionally see detectorists on the beach going along the strandline following high tide.

I've never really understood what they expect to find? Surely the only metal light enough to float and get washed up on the strandline would be old alu drinks cans?

Was about 11-12 years ago I went Blackpool when they were doing the prom up so digging into the sand .i went with about 30 quid I was staying at my mums caravan at Martin meer so just took 30 quid expecting 2-3 days .the cash was for tins in the caravan and some chips .i was there a week on the piss every night in the nightclubs and came back with 90 quid .i just took silver and the odd gold ring into the jewlers and sold them and lots of 1 pound coins was an ace week 

Latham st Ann’s you could get 20-30 quid once the bouncy castle had packed up for the day I’m not jokeing but I was standing on the toes of a local druggie who though it was his patch 

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

This is what you want to be digging up. Hard to believe really but my friend found these in a single week in one field (and a field I'd been detecting in as well :PissedOff:)

Are they Iceni coins?

I know a guy who found a pot with a few thousand Roman coins in.He sold them on the black market to the US and bought some fields and terrace houses with the money.Back in the early 90s nighthawking was a regular thing to do up here.Mainly headed off down around York for Saxon stuff.Got naff on National Trust sites after they spread thousands of ball bearings onto them.

1 minute ago, DurhamBorn said:

Are they Iceni coins?

I know a guy who found a pot with a few thousand Roman coins in.He sold them on the black market to the US and bought some fields and terrace houses with the money.Back in the early 90s nighthawking was a regular thing to do up here.Mainly headed off down around York for Saxon stuff.Got naff on National Trust sites after they spread thousands of ball bearings onto them.

Pretty sure they are Corieltavi. My friend's a jammy sod. Hoping to get back into the field (it's a big 'un) when it's been cropped in the summer. For the first time in about 5 years I'll actually have some spare time for once. Got to thank the virus for that!

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

I use very little discrimination I go off the tones 

Can't disagree with that, that's the right way to do it. It does drive me mad though in a field full of iron so I tend to take out the very obvious ferrous objects with a bit of discrimination.

Got my first detector in 1978 and foolishly threw it away, would have been a serious collectors item but I always felt self-conscious with the thing as a teenager.

Had a relapse about 12 years ago and bought another entry level on, have used it in a relatives horse field but the horse/animal piss destroys anything dropped in it, even a 20 year old 20p coin was beyond spendable.

Still feel self-conscious with the thing though.

9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Can't disagree with that, that's the right way to do it. It does drive me mad though in a field full of iron so I tend to take out the very obvious ferrous objects with a bit of discrimination.

Well a lot use a detector like a t2 for that I’m not into the modern up to date detectors I like my old school mine lab se pro with grey ghost headphones the ability to knock out other makes if detecting in close proximity is not lost on me .nor under power lines or near electric fences