• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

5min OCD speculator

What's your favourite toy or gadget?

For me, a raspberry pi, a dac and this moodeaudio.org - I think it's great cos it combines the beauty of music with the wonder of technology

And I enjoy my pushbike

I'm not interested in hearing about your sex toys or seeing your hairy arse; some things should stay firmly inside your house and/or your head ;)

The lack of using it has pulled it into a focus that I wouldn't usually give it but:

A car, and I mean any and every car before it descends into a car thread.

A quiet road on a sunny day driving through the countryside or by the sea.  All the views of walking but sped up and in comfort.

Philips Pronto Pro universal remote control. A touchscreen colour remote control from 2002 that is still used daily to control Tv/Amp/CD etc. It's gone from DVD to bluray to 4K in its life .The 320x240 screen looked amazing in its day, less so now ;-) Not many gadgets stand the test of time like that, the only problem is needing an old XP laptop to reprogram it when I get a new TV.

57 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

For me, a raspberry pi, a dac and this moodeaudio.org - I think it's great cos it combines the beauty of music with the wonder of technology

And I enjoy my pushbike

I'm not interested in hearing about your sex toys or seeing your hairy arse; some things should stay firmly inside your house and/or your head ;)

I'm definitely not an audiophile (despite years ago working in a higher end AV shop!). Despite this I occasionally take on the airs of an audiophile.... For example occasionally watching YouTube videos 😅

Not sure if you have some across this guy.  Think he's really into the digital stuff and watched one or two where he utilizes different pi type setups

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQIcXQ2n0sa-7CD0NtqnrrA

15 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Ice maker.cost about hundred quid but is bloody amazing. Switch on get ice.vice all evening for three of us. 

Can you make ice balls though??  I just have a few giant ice ball moulds which are great for keeping drinks cool (in a wide enough glass). But to get crystal clear not cloudy ice requires something else.

2 minutes ago, Melchett said:

My bike (s) nothing else comes close.

if it was a choice between bikes and everything else piled together I'd chose the bikes without a moments hesitation.

Yep, bikes.

Followed by Arduino.

1 minute ago, Melchett said:

What's one of those? O.o

Have I led a sheltered life?

It's whatever you want/need it to be! That's why it's so almost limitlessly great.

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

My kettle. No, seriously, my kettle. 

We take kettles for granted but the ability to boil water in minutes is fab. It is an enabler of tea and coffee.

As an ex frequent traveller I do get what youre saying. I have two travel kettles and even if Im travelling with just an overnight type bag I will take one if the place Im staying doesnt explicitly state that one is supplied in the room.

14 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

My kettle. No, seriously, my kettle. 

We take kettles for granted but the ability to boil water in minutes is fab. It is an enabler of tea and coffee.

We probably need a kettle thread because I have wondered about those "keep hot" ones via trickle charge; as opposed to the expensive and fragile instant boilers.

A decent mechanical keyboard.

I spend a fair chunk of my life typing and it's a hell of a lot nicer on something decent.

Not quite got in to building my own as yet but I suspect I will at some point.

You need to spend at least £100 to get anything really decent

31 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Kindle paperwhite and folding e-bike.

Going well then?  I'm expecting a user review after nagging you to take the plunge. :D

Posted (edited)

Very easy....mashes, sparges then  boils with hops etc at selected temperatures and times. Also has rapid cooler.

I buy the malt from Holland.

https://www.braumarkt.com/en/swaen-dutch-pale-ale-25-kg

Costs about 30 Euros for 25Kg including delivery....enough for  5  times 5 gallon brews  200 pints.  I crush the grain myself so fresh.

And it's easy collecting and reuse yeast....get about 10 brews before it starts to fail. 

I've converted a fridge into a fermenter using an INKBIRD. Slow cool fermentation is the answer.

Amazing beer.

Edited by Wahoo

36 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Going well then?  I'm expecting a user review after nagging you to take the plunge. :D

Yeah cheers for that, it's a great a bit of kit.

Range is about 20 miles with pedal assist, although could prob squeeze out about 25 miles. Had to upgrade the brakes to mechanical hydraulic as the OEM ones were shit, but then for £400 you've got to expect a few pedestrian components. It's still great value. Similar spec'd Bromptons are £2,800 O.o Sadly doesn't fold as well as one. Will probably build an external 10ah battery pack soon for about £60ish and get 50 miles range out of it.

On pedal assist won't take me over 12mph, throttle only is limited to 15mph. Happy enough with that as I'm more a casual enjoy the sights/avoid busy roads cyclist.

IMG-20200320-WA0021.thumb.jpeg.8dc3f5ea6cd61e65416b3f6b7170ceff.jpeg

I always carry a decent torch.  I have a few, but my current favourites are a Surefire Z2 with an LED drop-in and a rechargeable battery and an Olight Baton S1R.

I also always carry some sort of multi-tool.  Again, I have a few, but unless I have something specific in mind I'll usually just carry a small Victorinox knife - either a Climber or a Waiter.

My Linux PC.  I can do just about anything computer related on this, including running old software via VMs or DOSBOX.

And another vote for bikes.  I like to see pictures, so here's my mountain bike on its first outing (yes, I did later cut down the steerer tube):

IMG_1807.thumb.JPG.10fe2cd54d0ec2d4534b4b44a29f0c95.JPG