• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

stop_the_craziness

What have you done today to make you feel proud?

Because no one in my real life gives a shit, I thought I would create a topic on here to say that today I got under 3 hours for a 50 mile cycle ride for the first time ever.  And picked up my first ever Strava Queen of the Mountain.

What fitness things have you been proud of recently that make other people go "meh"?

2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Because no one in my real life gives a shit, I thought I would create a topic on here to say that today I got under 3 hours for a 50 mile cycle ride for the first time ever.  And picked up my first ever Strava Queen of the Mountain.

What fitness things have you been proud of recently that make other people go "meh"?

Is this you?

Pin on this is not board your looking for

Just askin....

Well done for the QOTM btw. Whatever it means....

Fresh out, as Americans say, of things to be proud of right now - not strangling my wife during the lockdown maybe?

35 minutes for 6.5k with ascents/descents for a slightly out-of-shape 55yo who has never liked running the other day - I was pleased, even if my legs weren't. A real runner would scoff however. I prefer walking up mountains, currently out of bounds.

I have been dragging myself out of bed every morning to do a start the day session with the kids. 2k run followed by press ups, crunches and pull ups. I’m not much of a morning person so it’s really just the getting up before I have to that i’m most proud of.

I’ve also been alternating between a 5k run and a 15k road cycle on the weekday evenings, without the kids. Partly for cardio, partly just for half an hours peace and quiet!

I think I've only ever cycled more than 50 miles on about 4 or 5 occasions and certainly never done it in <3h, though I am very much a sprinter rather than an endurance type. That's very good going indeed, especially if it was a circular route without someone towing you along?

I've done three KOMs in the last couple of months though. Just before the lockdown started I noticed that a strong easterly wind was forecast so went out and sniped a segment I've had my eye on for a while, just under a mile at just under 30mph got me the KOM by 7 seconds in 1:45, though someone has since got within 3 seconds of me. Then about a month ago someone took from me a short uphill segment that I got riding my shopping bike a couple of years ago; 27 seconds to my 28. So I got the proper bike out and went and did in 24.

But the one I'm really proud of is a longer and steeper hill near my brother's old house. When I first got this lightweight road bike a couple of years ago I rode up it as hard as I thought I reasonably could and did it in 51 seconds; the record was 39, and I thought that I was unlikely to be able to ever do it. But I had another go last month and got up it in 44 seconds. Then I discovered that the end of the segment was before the brow of the hill, so you didn't need to keep anything in the tank to actually crest it. Another effort with that in mind got me 41 seconds. And having analysed that effort on Strava and seen that I was never ahead of the KOM holder, I realised that you have to accelerate like a madman at the start and hold full speed for as long as you can. On my final attempt I crossed the line completely spent and with my speed tailing off badly, then rode home feeling very nauseous. Uploaded the ride and boom, 38 seconds. For a 40 year old who's definitely not built for climbing I think that's not too bad if I say so myself, my brother knows the previous KOM holder and he's no slouch, apparently.

Then I went on a ride I'm not so proud of. I'm still a bit chubbier than I was before I gave up vaping a couple of months ago, so I decided to go on a bit of a fasted ride to see if I could burn some of it off. I bimbled down to Kent, and rode up Toys Hill, one of the most notable climbs round here- last time I attempted it on my old bike I had to get off and push! This time I rode all the way up, albeit very slowly. But by the time I'd got back inside the M25 and climbed to the top of Brasted Hill, to the top of the North Downs, I was totally bonked. I hadn't even brought an energy gel with me, or my wallet / any money to buy a sugary drink or a snack, so I had to ride the final 10 miles or so home feeling increasingly dizzy and shaky. By the time I got home I could hardly speak! I was going to use my wife's diabetes blood sugar tester to see how bad I actually was, but she's mislaid it. After that dangerous idiocy of riding about close to the point of passing out, I rendered the whole escapade pointless by chugging about a litre of very sugary cordial with my dinner and scoffing most of a packet of biscuits afterwards. Prat. Thinking about it I should have used google pay on my phone to get something. Live and learn anyway, I might go and do the same ride again tomorrow only having eaten this time, though maybe earlier in the day to try and avoid the biting insects that got me last time.

On 06/05/2020 at 16:08, stop_the_craziness said:

That is an awesome average speed. Fucking good effort. 

10 hours ago, Popuplights said:

That is an awesome average speed. Fucking good effort. 

Thank you, that's very kind.

@Rave - I liked your info on KOM bagging.  I think I don't take enough notice of where segments start and finish either, which can make all the difference.

And ahh, the bonk ride.  I can remember being slumped in a pub car park drinking full fat coke and eating crisps and mars bars (which I don't even like) just to be able to get home.

Grant Schapps was on the Downing Street podium last night giving it large about pouring money into bike lanes/infrastructure etc.  Apparently we are going to be the saviours of the new workplace instead of the scum of the earth and the scourge of the roads.  Clap for Cyclists people :Jumping:  

1 hour ago, ccc said:

I did a rather short bike ride last week as I don't cycle much. Got to the top of this hill was planning going a lot further but decided to just go back. It's one of the steepest climbs in the UK I believe. Brutal.

Talla reservoir in the borders. 

IMG_20200505_134651511.jpg

Worth the effort for that view!  Sensational

On 07/05/2020 at 08:12, Hail the Tripod said:

I have been dragging myself out of bed every morning to do a start the day session with the kids. 2k run followed by press ups, crunches and pull ups. I’m not much of a morning person so it’s really just the getting up before I have to that i’m most proud of.

I’ve also been alternating between a 5k run and a 15k road cycle on the weekday evenings, without the kids. Partly for cardio, partly just for half an hours peace and quiet!

I have also been eating in restricted windows. No food from 8.30pm until midday. Couple that with no booze because of hay fever.

I’ve lost 7 pounds in 8 weeks and put on some muscle. By the time I catch covid19 I should be well set up: skinny, tanned and with great cardio fitness.

2 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I have also been eating in restricted windows. No food from 8.30pm until midday. Couple that with no booze because of hay fever.

I’ve lost 7 pounds in 8 weeks and put on some muscle. By the time I catch covid19 I should be well set up: skinny, tanned and with great cardio fitness.

You'll have to have a not-really-gay-honest-bro thread with @crashmonitor comparing torso pics! :D 

Allowing for age I'd be surprised if anyone can do better.

I changed the clutch on my car yesterday old school style ,on the drive on axle stands (,feck it don`t get any easier the older you get) and i give the engine a good services today along with replacing a CV joint boot

I`m going to wash seven months worth of shit of it tomorrow ,i think i`m going to need a pressure washer and a chisel   

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I cycled over to Mercedes Benz World today, and did a couple of laps of their race track before it re-opens. I thought the security guards would get arsey, but they didn’t bat an eyelid.

I had to Google this to see if it was an actual, real thing.  Very informative.

On 20/05/2020 at 14:25, ccc said:

This is me right now in the park. I'm on the Dole so felt I should live up to the persona. xD

42 and about 50 pints a week I don't think I'm looking too shabby. Three months with no boxing or swimming either. 

I could tone up a bit mind :D

IMG_20200520_141134924.jpg

It’s the can of Tennants that completes the picture! xD

On 20/05/2020 at 14:25, ccc said:

This is me right now in the park. I'm on the Dole so felt I should live up to the persona. xD

42 and about 50 pints a week I don't think I'm looking too shabby. Three months with no boxing or swimming either. 

I could tone up a bit mind :D

IMG_20200520_141134924.jpg

I always thought that you were really ripped. 

soz <<<<hugggzzz>>>>>  o.O

I started running again last month, recently set lifetime PBs for 5K and 10K. But seeing as I never ran more than a mile before the age of 48 that's not as bigger deal as it sounds :)

But pulled my calf muscle today, that's pissed me off :( but proud I did it exercising, last time I had an injury it was putting my back out while brushing my teeth :(

Also started my calisthenics again, amazed how quickly my strength dropped off in <6 months, but getting back to where I was.

Edited by snaga

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Make sure to stretch down properly after a run and injuries like that should be few and far between :Old:

I was 7k in to a 10k run, I think I was just unlucky with footing on a trail, walked home ok but couldn't run on it.

14 hours ago, ccc said:

Check out the speed this guy runs at. Mental.

His heart rate stats at the end are an eye opener. O.o

He's running faster (22km/h) than most people, even quite young people, could sprint for 50 metres (never mind 100m or 200m).  That's a bit freaky. The really amazing thing is that there are people out there who are even faster (though mostly only top athletes). These people operate in a different physical universe to most of us.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

He's running faster (22km/h) than most people, even quite young people, could sprint for 50 metres (never mind 100m or 200m).  That's a bit freaky. The really amazing thing is that there are people out there who are even faster (though mostly only top athletes). These people operate in a different physical universe to most of us.

Yes he's a top full time triathlete iirc. 

It's still crazy fast to even think about. 

I do reckon quite a lot of people could get close to these sort of times if they focussed their entire lives on it though. 

Same for many things. 

Let's see this bloke keep up with me on a Tennents session for example. xD

It's a semi serious point actually. He would probably end up in hospital.