• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bus Stop Boxer

Expanding foam.

Question

Good evening.

I want to bodge some cracked pointing on my chimney stack/ridge tiles . This is on a 3 storey house and its too high/ dangerous to get out there with a trowel and muck.

And im too tight to seek professional help/scaffolding.

Im thinking what about expanding foam delivered via a length of poly tubing strapped to a paint roller extending pole.

I have 2 skylights that i can stick my head and shoulders out of to apply said foam, so im thinking im about 3 metres away from the target at that point.

My question is, how far might i expect the propellant in the can to push the foam? And in fact, by the time its pushed it 3metres along the tube, will there be any left to come out the other end??xD

4 answers to this question

Whatever you do, don't knock a nail through the end of a partly used can of foam in order to get it going again. My *friend* advises that if you do that, you will end up in A&E surrounded by giggling medical staff. You will also be constantly reminded of your incredible stupidity by your family at every opportunity.

:Old:

Cheers.

Well i went the 8 ft painters pole with a scoop on the end loaded with muck route.

Took out the velux sash one side and had a skylight the other side so had good access to both sides of the Sophie Ridge.

Then a spatula on the end of another 8 ft pole to smooth down. Tricky as roof was baking hot in sun.

Consequently my muck went off on the Sophie Ridge a bit to quick.

Then an inspection with a Honor 9 lite on the end of a tree lopper to confirm a remote bodge well done.

True DOSBODDERY i feel.

I now need to have a word with the gypsy who pointed the stack and did the flashings 5 years ago, but somehow forgot to put muck down the sides of the stack where it hits the roof.

On 07/05/2020 at 17:19, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Cheers.

Well i went the 8 ft painters pole with a scoop on the end loaded with muck route.

Took out the velux sash one side and had a skylight the other side so had good access to both sides of the Sophie Ridge.

Then a spatula on the end of another 8 ft pole to smooth down. Tricky as roof was baking hot in sun.

Consequently my muck went off on the Sophie Ridge a bit to quick.

Then an inspection with a Honor 9 lite on the end of a tree lopper to confirm a remote bodge well done.

True DOSBODDERY i feel.

I now need to have a word with the gypsy who pointed the stack and did the flashings 5 years ago, but somehow forgot to put muck down the sides of the stack where it hits the roof.

Cat ladders are really easy to use :-)