• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Is furlough going to be the worse financial decsion ever?

At the mo ~50% of UK workers are on UKGOV subbed furlough.

(Sounds a bit like TCs .. but thats another thread).

Now the Treasury is getting v twitchy on the cost, the furlough schemes seems to coming to a rapid end, which some hefty cranking down on the payouts and accelerated back to work.

Most of the furloghed appear to be in the retail n pubs n eateries, most of which were only diping in the in-work bennies.

I think  a hefty percentage of furloughed going to find their incomes much reduced and job situation fucked

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Now the Treasury is getting v twitchy on the cost, the furlough schemes seems to coming to a rapid end, which some hefty cranking down on the payouts and accelerated back to work.

Most of the furloghed appear to be in the retail n pubs n eateries, most of which were only diping in the in-work bennies.

I think  a hefty percentage of furloughed going to find their incomes much reduced and job situation fucked

As someone currently Furloughed can I have the rose tinted version please.

I want more free money, if they could drop the house arrest it would be lovely.

A lot of people will have realised during lockdown how much cash they usually fritter away. A new trend might be to cut expenses to cut working hours. Neither will be good for the economy or governbankment tax revenues.

I think the governbankment will have no chance of clearing the debt,  so each country will do something like a 100 year covid bond at 0.1% bought by their central bank, effectively writing the debt off. Who would complain, that matters?

1 hour ago, GBDamo said:

As someone currently Furloughed can I have the rose tinted version please.

I want more free money, if they could drop the house arrest it would be lovely.

I'm furloughed too and I fear what happens at the end. I may not have a job to go to.

Posted (edited)

I expect they will decant the furloughed onto UC and make UC even more generous (with no caps or limits) so there is even less incentive to work at all. But if they can print money into oblivion why do they need to collect taxes (serious question)?

Edited by HolyCow

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

I think the lockdown and OTT furloughing was an overreaction, mainly down to Prof Pantsdown and his cunning plan to clear a route to his MILF's house

Now the Treasury, which acts as an almost seperate government,, is getting panicy about the cost.

If I was a Treasury honco, who are very pissed about Browns TCs free money hting, Id use the crisis to force thru TC reductions and other TC reforms i..e more work, less money.

Well, the Tories have said that more "austerity" is unpalatable apparently so not going to happen (except if you are a taxpayer and haven't had any freebies in which case you will have austerity to pay for the NHS).

Edited by HolyCow

My partners furloughed....works as a barmaid.

I'm hoping that they'll lift restrictions on caravan parks so we can feck off to Scotland with caravan for a month...or two:D

3 minutes ago, HolyCow said:

Well, the Tories have said that more "austerity" is unpalatable apparently so not going to happen (except if you are a taxpayer and haven't had any freebies in which case you will have austerity to pay for the NHS).

Yeah thats BS.

We've not had austerity.

We are going to get austerity in buckets now.

Itlll be caused something else. - realigning public sector, back to work for working age people.

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

The issue is the largess of it. It should have been limited to basic living costs - Perhaps £1000-1200 pcm. 

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The issue is the largess of it. It should have been limited to basic living costs - Perhaps £1000-1200 pcm. 

Yep.

based on, say, average NI/pay over the last 12 months.

The small business rate 10k slush is insane.

Locally, its gone to furnished holiday lets who are registered for rates but get 100% small business relief.

Im expecting that 10k and much more to be clawed back.

5 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

That's what I'm getting 80% of!

12 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Yeah thats BS.

We've not had austerity.

We are going to get austerity in buckets now.

Itlll be caused something else. - realigning public sector, back to work for working age people.

How will they do it if they don't think they can cut welfare? One of the first things the Tories did in this crisis is give an extra £20 per week to the standard UC amount (for the next year) and increase LHA so it basically covers almost all rent (even in expensive area like London). I really don't think the Tories want to cut welfare. If anything they will increase it because it makes them look good and more people dependent on welfare makes them easier to control (plus helps their rich mates).

Just now, HolyCow said:

How will they do it if they don't think they can cut welfare? One of the first things the Tories did in this crisis is give an extra £20 per week to the standard UC amount (for the next year) and increase LHA so it basically covers almost all rent (even in expensive area like London). I really don't think the Tories want to cut welfare. If anything they will increase it because it makes them look good and more people dependent on welfare makes them easier to control (plus helps their rich mates).

They can cut welfare.

KKick EE out. The icnrease of vacnies is not being met by UK adults.

You can tweak TCs away in 5 years.

1 minute ago, eight said:

That's what I'm getting 80% of!

What I meant was the upper end of the payment is too high. 

we could live  comfortably on £2500 without the stress and burdens of work.

One car

No commute costs

No childcare payments

1 minute ago, dgul said:

No -- because committed costs are real (mortgage, car, 'devices'), and you've got to allow them to continue for a short period of 'disaster'.  If they've not sorted themselves out after the 'short period' then they need to trim their costs (but this effects the larger economy).

IMO all welfare should work this way -- if you get into trouble then the state will cover all costs* for a few months while you sort yourself out, then practically nothing.  We've got the exact opposite -- if you get into trouble you get practically nothing at all (certainly not enough to cover proper life costs), but if you game the system you can get 'actually rather a lot' for very long periods of time.

It is stupid and needs to be resolved.

The current disaster is an opportunity to 'sort things out', but they'll probably only make things worse.

[* up to a 'fair amount', which should be something like the upper tax threshold]

I think a temporary freeze on interest payments could have resolved this more cheaply what with BOE's print for Britain campaign and making up the banksters  losses. 

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

What I meant was the upper end of the payment is too high. 

we could live  comfortably on £2500 without the stress and burdens of work.

One car

No commute costs

No childcare payments

I don't mind people getting more. I agree with @dgul, it depends what "normal normal" is. You and your OH will have paid a hell of a lot more tax than me, I'm quite certain, so it's all fairly equitable.