• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Van Lady

Beautiful Beaches

I love beaches and the coast.

My favourite beach is Sandwood Bay in Sutherland near Cape Wrath, Scotland. To visit the beach you have to walk on a track about four and a half miles through bleak moorland but it's worth it! Wild camping is allowed.

Photos never do it justice. Stunning, wild and unspoilt place managed by the John Muir Trust.

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

9 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

My favourite beach is Sandwood Bay in Sutherland near Cape Wrath, Scotland. To visit the beach you have to walk on a track about four and a half miles through bleak moorland but it's worth it! Wild camping is allowed.

Photos never do it justice. Stunning, wild and unspoilt place managed by the John Muir Trust.

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

Beautiful EE and I guess that it being a bit of a walk to get to means you have it to yourself. 

My favourite beach, Whitby, taken in the winter so no one around :)

IMG_0388.JPG

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Beautiful EE and I guess that it being a bit of a walk to get to means you have it to yourself. 

My favourite beach, Whitby, taken in the winter so no one around :)

IMG_0388.JPG

Looks fab. Haven't been down that way for a while. I remember in my teens being impressed by robin hoods bay. Quite near Whitby I think?

2 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Downings in Donegal is my favorite 

IMG_3666.PNG

Stunning. If I ever complete my tour of Scottish beaches I'll head to Ireland!

Le Petit Saint Michel, Brittany near Erquy. Nice sandy clean beach, quiet, small cafe, the causeway to the island only accessible at low tide so scene varies a lot during the day. Idyllic on a nice day. 

le-petit-saint-michel.jpg

3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Looks fab. Haven't been down that way for a while. I remember in my teens being impressed by robin hoods bay. Quite near Whitby I think?

It is.  :)

9 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

The whole coast of Ireland has fantastic beaches 

If it wasn't cold and  pissing down all the time the Costas wouldn't get a look in 😜

Edited by Malthus
Grammar

Another big favourite of mine is Oldshoremore beach at Kinlochbervie not far from Sandwood Bay, Sutherland.

Easily accessible with a small car park and a short climb to see it in all its glory. The photos below were taken by me on a lovely May Day just a few years ago. Only one couple there in the distance apart from me. Fab!

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

3 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Can't think of any nice beaches down here. Usually just park at the Foreshore by the Humber Bridge. 

Spurn head is nice and remote. 

spurn-shot5.jpg

It always amazes me how that doesn't just wash away 

3 minutes ago, Malthus said:

The whole coast of Ireland has fantastic beaches 

If it wasn't cold and  pissing down all the time the Costas wouldn't get a look in 😜

Same thing in Scotland. I'm thankful it's not sunny all the time or our remote and beautiful beaches would be ruined!

28 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

That looks amazing, will be looking for that in the future.

Living in the Midlands means I couldn't be further away from a beach if I tried. Without trying to be a Willy waver the nicest beach I have ever been to was at Cape Tribulation, sadly it is highly unlikely I will get to see it ever again.

Really liked Barmouth in Wales as a UK choice also. Nice open beaches which are really clean.

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Same thing in Scotland. I'm thankful it's not sunny all the time or our remote and beautiful beaches would be ruined!

Very true , went to the Thai island where the beach was filmed a couple of years ago 

I'm sure it's lovely without 50 boats and a few thousand people milling around 

9 minutes ago, Shaneyson said:

Really liked Barmouth in Wales as a UK choice also. Nice open beaches which are really clean.

The trouble with Barmouth beach is the proximity to Barmouth.

I quite like the beach at St Ninian's isle, but it is a bit of a trek to get to it.  (I think there is a theme about nice beaches being at least fairly quiet).

1024px-Tombolo_St_Ninians_5940.JPG

Here's one in Dumfries & Galloway I love. Powillimount Point near Kirkbean, about 40 mins drive from me. Many locals have never heard of it. No sign posts to it but down a lane with a small car park at the beach. Spend many days here parked up for the day. Never over busy. Bliss!

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Beaches are fantastic to look at. Just a shame they are made of sand - which is bloody annoying stuff.

Sands fine if you wear the right footwear or none!