DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Premier League meet Poop Creek....

sancho panza

sancho panza

Looks ominous for some I suspect.

Player pay cuts and deferrals......whatever next?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8215367/Premier-League-clubs-facing-losses-177m-season-ticket-corporate-hospitality-sales.html

The Premier League's own analysis, presented to captains of each team on that infamous conference call over a week ago, showed that clubs stood to lose £1.137billion overall from the impact of coronavirus, but the bulk of that figure came from the £762m league bosses claimed would be due in rebates to broadcast rights holders if the season is voided, which has yet to be determined. 

Indeed, Sky Sports have indicated that they will not seek a refund on the £371m worth of matches that have so far been postponed even if the season is cancelled, as Sportsmail reported last weekend, and all parties remain determined to complete the campaign in some form. 

Refunding season-ticket holders either in cash or discounts will cost Premier League clubs a total of £101m based on this year's prices, and that figure rockets to £177m when corporate sales and other matchday income is taken into account.

TheCountOfNowhere
13 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Indeed, Sky Sports have indicated that they will not seek a refund on the £371m worth of matches that have so far been postponed even if the season is cancelled

Will Sky Sports Subscribers be seeking a refund ?

There's a football bubble collapse thread btw.

sancho panza
29 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

There's a football bubble collapse thread btw.

In the basement?

sancho panza
14 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

it's been coming for a long time.

Not tin the Cellar it hasn't:ph34r:

Bedrag Justesen
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Sky Sports subscribers have been able to 'Pause' their payment since March.

Channel stays viewable.

I don't follow football at all, but I find this odd. Why can't football continue with empty stadiums? We are always told that the big money comes from TV rights, not stadium attendance.

10 hours ago, spunko said:

I don't follow football at all, but I find this odd. Why can't football continue with empty stadiums? We are always told that the big money comes from TV rights, not stadium attendance.

I gather that the problem is that the true diehard fans will turn up merely to stand outside the stadiums the games are played in. But as it stands, finishing the season at neutral grounds is the plan, I think.

Don Coglione
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Just give the Trophy to the Scousers and be done with it.

But who goes down and who goes into Europe (assuming next season runs as planned)?

• 1 month later...
maynardgravy

With the thickos taking to one knee and replacing their names with Black Lies Matter, I'm not giving these idiots one second of time or penny of my money any more. the EPL is dead to me. Anyone else?

Frank Hovis
21 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

With the thickos taking to one knee and replacing their names with Black Lies Matter, I'm not giving these idiots one second of time or penny of my money any more. the EPL is dead to me. Anyone else?

I would probably identify the point at whcih it lost me as being when Chelsea fielded a team without a single British player.  Late 90s I think.

The top half of the Championship has been very much going the same way since 2010.

I absolutely welcome a financial catastrophe in English football as then all the top paid mercenaries can sod off to Spain, Italy, China or Paris St Germain and clubs go back to have squads primarily comprised of English players with a strong local contingent.

Then I might restart an intetest that died over twenty years ago.  I could not, for example, tell you who won the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup last year because to me all those in with a realistic shouts with their foreign owners, foreign managers, and mostly foreign players are foreign teams who just happen to share the name, colours and ground of the previous English team.

sancho panza
46 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

I was going to say they lsot me years back until I read frnak below and 100% agree with him.Superbyl put.

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I would probably identify the point at whcih it lost me as being when Chelsea fielded a team without a single British player.  Late 90s I think.

The top half of the Championship has been very much going the same way since 2010.

I absolutely welcome a financial catastrophe in English football as then all the top paid mercenaries can sod off to Spain, Italy, China or Paris St Germain and clubs go back to have squads primarily comprised of English players with a strong local contingent.

Then I might restart an intetest that died over twenty years ago.  I could not, for example, tell you who won the Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup last year because to me all those in with a realistic shouts with their foreign owners, foreign managers, and mostly foreign players are foreign teams who just happen to share the name, colours and ground of the previous English team.

What gets me is foerign managers of natioanl teams.I mean wtf-conflicts of interest meh!!!

Mike Roberts
39 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

The Premier League cannot ignore the issue of discrimination a moment longer. White players are significantly underrepresented in all 20 teams.  This must change. Positive discrimination now! 

sancho panza
1 minute ago, Mike Roberts said:

The Premier League cannot ignore the issue of discrimination a moment longer. White players are significantly underrepresented in all 20 teams.  This must change. Positive discrimination now! 

There are virtually no asisan players in the premisership

Frank Hovis
22 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

What gets me is foerign managers of natioanl teams.I mean wtf-conflicts of interest meh!!!

And that's the money again.

The Premier League has sold its soul with each club going to the highest bidder.  First they bring in the world's best players and the they bring in the world's best managers because money is no object.

Of the top twenty best managers in the world how many are likely to be English?  Maybe two and that's the odds against which they're competing to manage in the Premier League and then go on to manage England.  Ditto the chances of English players playing at the top level in England.

As long as the Premier League continues in its current form England will never win the World Cup or Euros.  Never.

Not interested in football. However, I will comment.

Isn't this another 'end of cycle' sector? No sane society should condone paying £100,000 per week to some sportsmen to kick a ball around a field. It's mad isn't it? Please tell me it's mad....

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The Premier League has sold its soul with each club going to the highest bidder.  First they bring in the world's best players and the they bring in the world's best managers because money is no object.

Of the top twenty best managers in the world how many are likely to be English?  Maybe two and that's the odds against which they're competing to manage in the Premier League and then go on to manage England.  Ditto the chances of English players playing at the top level in England.

As long as the Premier League continues in its current form England will never win the World Cup or Euros.  Never.

Absolutely.I played rugby many years ago just as it went pro in the 90's.In came a host of foreign players either at the beginning of their career or the end and all of a suddent the scope for English talent to prgoress got crimped.

We've won a world cup but that was with players who primarily came through the amateur pathway to the top iirc.

I used to live for rugby but professionalism has killed it.I barely know any of the current England team.

Same with Football.It's not so much that English players dont have the potential but rather they don't get the improvement opportunities they once did.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Isn't this another 'end of cycle' sector? No sane society should condone paying £100,000 per week to some sportsmen to kick a ball around a field. It's mad isn't it? Please tell me it's mad....

It's very end of cycle.When I was a kid,working class people could afford to take their kids their.Now most teams charge £50 a ticket puts it out of reach of all but the reckless,the rich and the poor buggers who make huge sacrifices.

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Just like everything else in capitalism, they're simply selling their ability to make money.  £100k a week is fine so long as they're bringing in more than £100k a week by being there.  In that sense the 'madness' is rather that quite so many individuals are willing to give so much cash to the football clubs they support.

The interesting part to this is the question:  Will the reduction in club's income reflect the reduced ability of their fans to give them cash (ie, income goes down 5% as people have 5% less money), or will there be a 'shit' moment, where people just decide that they don't like big-football any more and they're just going to support their local team with local players?

Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, dgul said:

The interesting part to this is the question:  Will the reduction in club's income reflect the reduced ability of their fans to give them cash (ie, income goes down 5% as people have 5% less money), or will there be a 'shit' moment, where people just decide that they don't like big-football any more and they're just going to support their local team with local players?

My lad shares a season ticket for the Red Scum, a lot of fans do the same due to the high cost. If all of a sudden your mate is skint and drops out of the share you then have the dilemma of paying double plus extra travel costs when you could only afford a share.

Then there is the ad revenue (going down probably), Sky money (won't be going up at best) and sponsorship which will be in a similar boat.

Can see a lot of older players getting the boot early in favour of the young, enthusiastic, cheap and keen.

22 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

To be fair, you lot came pretty close last time. 

Frank Hovis
18 hours ago, Zanu Bob said:

It's very end of cycle.When I was a kid,working class people could afford to take their kids their.Now most teams charge £50 a ticket puts it out of reach of all but the reckless,the rich and the poor buggers who make huge sacrifices.

There are, as you would expect, a lot of football fans whose income have been hit by CV19, furlough or self-employed, and just these peopel tend to be the long term bulk of teh season ticket holders.

As POTD prices have arisen these people have increasingly become season ticket holders for cost reasons -  c. £20 per game rather than £35 POTD.

Now a lot of them are saying that they can't stretch to the season ticket, much as they would like to, and on a limited income they can't honestly see themselves splashing out £35 for a single ticket.

Over the last few years people have been saying about how they have been struggling to afford season tickets, just noting it rather than moaning, and now it looks like the steady cranking up of those pirces has just gone wrong as with CV19 meaning loss of incomes they have become unaffordable for many existing fans.

Attendances are going to be down in the Championship for one.

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There are, as you would expect, a lot of football fans whose income have been hit by CV19, furlough or self-employed, and just these peopel tend to be the long term bulk of teh season ticket holders.

As POTD prices have arisen these people have increasingly become season ticket holders for cost reasons -  c. £20 per game rather than £35 POTD.

Now a lot of them are saying that they can't stretch to the season ticket, much as they would like to, and on a limited income they can't honestly see themselves splashing out £35 for a single ticket.

Over the last few years people have been saying about how they have been struggling to afford season tickets, just noting it rather than moaning, and now it looks like the steady cranking up of those pirces has just gone wrong as with CV19 meaning loss of incomes they have become unaffordable for many existing fans.

Attendances are going to be down in the Championship for one.

I think you're right there Frank.A lot of casual football fans became season ticket holders for financial resons that didn't make sense but then following football is more passion than sense.Your logic is bang on.Then after buying the season ticket,they cut the odd thing to make it pay.

The people who I know that still go are either in the trades or the season ticket is a huge chunk of their disposable income.

Others I know would love to go but earn around £10 or under.

I can't fathom who'd pay to watch Championship football for the prices they charge.

16 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

My lad shares a season ticket for the Red Scum, a lot of fans do the same due to the high cost. If all of a sudden your mate is skint and drops out of the share you then have the dilemma of paying double plus extra travel costs when you could only afford a share.

Then there is the ad revenue (going down probably), Sky money (won't be going up at best) and sponsorship which will be in a similar boat.

Can see a lot of older players getting the boot early in favour of the young, enthusiastic, cheap and keen.

I hadn't heard of people sharing tickets but it makes sense.

And as for the TV money,in the UK it's never made much sense especially as Sky were th only viable bidder last time,they basically opted to get reamed.

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, Zanu Bob said:

I think you're right there Frank.A lot of casual football fans became season ticket holders for financial resoans that didn't make sense but then following football is more passion than sense.Your logic is bang on.Then after buying the season ticket,they cut the odd thing to make it pay.

The people who I know that still go are either in the trades or the season ticket is a huge chunk of their disposable income.

Others I know would love to go but earn around £10 or under.

I can't fathom who'd pay to watch Championship football for the prices they charge.

They lift them substantially on promotion but don't similarly cut them on relegation so over time they go up and up.

People have moaned but kept buying as long as they could do so.  Now the hard reality is that a lot of their fans cannot afford it or next season because their income has gone down.

They can't cut them for this season because they have already sold a lot of STs, alebit much less than the previous year, so there are going to be a lot of players released and few signed.

My Championship club is £35 POTD and that's a lot for what may be a lacklustre draw in the rain.  For a family of four that's maybe £100 (discounted junior tickets) which is a big amount.

Per the other thread if they "take the knee" on Saturday that's it for me.

Maybe in ten years' time there will have bene a reset, tickets are back to the equivalent of £10 - £15 in today's prices and I'll go back again.  If not then adios.

Archived