• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

How old is your....

25 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I have a 25 year old fridge.

Never had any bother with it.

Is it worth getting a new energy efficient one ?

No.

Every time Ive bought  a new freezer I’ve noticed they’ve got smaller inside because they are all now insulation. Oh, and cheap plastic shelves and baskets that break really easily and cost more than a new freezer to replace. 

I swear my current one is half the size inside as the first one I had of the same external dimensions.

So no. Not until you have to. 

If it's noisy and keeps starting up then it's going to be very inefficient and worth changing because it will be costing you a lot in electricity every year.

If it's quietly humming away most of the time then keep it going.

I have a Technics mini hi fi that dates back to 1996. It had funky twin deck cassettes that operated a bit like a front loading VCR.

My car is 16 years old now. Seems to running better now at 103,000 miles than it did at 70,000 miles.

My mum had a Hoover tumble dryer that was older than me. Probably bought in the early or mid 1970s and that lasted until the late 1990s iirc. B|

technics.JPG

When I bought my first home about 35 years ago, I needed a cheap fridge and followed up an ad in a local paper.

A local convent had finally decided their 1950s fridge, which still worked.

It was an amazing retro item, 6ft tall, and shaped a bit like an egyptian sarcophagus.  unfortunately it was too big for my kitchen.

Internally, it was no bigger than an ordinary fridge, as the insulation was so thick.

It looked great, I hope it wasn't scrapped.

25 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

It was an amazing retro item, 6ft tall, and shaped a bit like an egyptian sarcophagus.  unfortunately it was too big for my kitchen.

Cool.:)

8 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I have a 25 year old fridge.

Never had any bother with it.

Is it worth getting a new energy efficient one ?

My view is that if you are trying to be green, run stuff like that until - as posters have said - it starts to burn through the power due to insulation failures.

We got a second hand fridge off an old couple here in Oz - they were going into a home, so they wanted 50 bucks.  I think it's from the 1970's, and is still going strong.  Now THAT is green living.

My Mum bought a Proline microwave for my brother and myself, in 1989. His lasted 6 months. Mine is still working. My Hoover is from 1964. :Old:

11 hours ago, Melchett said:

Every time Ive bought  a new freezer I’ve noticed they’ve got smaller inside because they are all now insulation. Oh, and cheap plastic shelves and baskets that break really easily and cost more than a new freezer to replace. 

I swear my current one is half the size inside as the first one I had of the same external dimensions.

So no. Not until you have to. 

Cheaper fridges have less internal storage space for the overall dimensions. It’s worth spending a bit more in my opinion simply for the extra internal space.

55 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

Cheaper fridges have less internal storage space for the overall dimensions. It’s worth spending a bit more in my opinion simply for the extra internal space.

I this is not what I was referring to. I was referring to regulations that have steadily caused the amount of insulation required to increase and manufacturers moving to to cheaper materials and price gouging for spares. My latest freezer is a Meile, yet it is tiny inside and made from cheap, fragile materials.

Posted (edited)

Got a 25 year old Zanussi fridge, only ever needed the bulb changing, once.

Wasn't it the door seals that used to go on fridges?

Edited by Panther

13 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I have a Technics mini hi fi that dates back to 1996. It had funky twin deck cassettes that operated a bit like a front loading VCR.

My car is 16 years old now. Seems to running better now at 103,000 miles than it did at 70,000 miles.

My mum had a Hoover tumble dryer that was older than me. Probably bought in the early or mid 1970s and that lasted until the late 1990s iirc. B|

technics.JPG

Brilliant :-) 

Here are some half interesting articles about the cost of running an old fridge. 

It looks like the cost saving of replacing an old one can be quite a lot.... I suppose the savings are complicated by the "wasted" electricity heating your kitchen. However if you live somewhere hot where you have air conditioning and heat is not wanted replacing an old fridge is probably a bit of a non brainer...

image.png

image.png

7 hours ago, jay67 said:

My Mum bought a Proline microwave for my brother and myself, in 1989. His lasted 6 months. Mine is still working. My Hoover is from 1964. :Old:

My mum and dad bought a microwave whilst I was at uni - so late 80s.
She ditched it when she moved last year. Because it was a bit big. 

17 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

OK, I'll play along.

My arsehole was fifty-five on Wednesday, and still performs as good as it did in 1965...!

XYY

I bet your knob has had some deterioration in performance ........

Washing Machine - 15 years

Dishwasher - 14 years (currently on furlough until I can have the control board fixed) - new one is about a week old

Tumble dryer - 7 years

Fridge - 4 years

Freezer - 10 years

Oven - 2 years

Hob - 3 years

All Miele bar the hob which is Bosch.  Fridge is actually Liebherr (which is a rebadged Miele but £200 cheaper)

We bought our gas cooker in 1991 when we got married.

Still works fine, although I think its been a long time since the built in spark thing has worked. It would feel like betrayal to replace it now.