DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why are established members changing their user name?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to remove a mark from a permanent marker on a non-pourous surface, one method that usually works is to draw a new mark over the original mark with the same pen (or a pen that uses the same

Right, I'm going to lock all username changes shortly. a few users are changing them weekly. It's confusing... anyone thinking to change their username should do it asap...

Just a question as it is confusing the fuck out of me. I also tend to ignore posts and then realise that it is an established member by the post count.    it’s like you mate going all transitio

Posted Images

It is counter-productive.  You build an image of a person's character by their posts which you associate with a particular user / avatar combination and then they disappear,

I did it on ToS once but then switched back because I realised that most people didn't know it was still me.

Changing avatars, unless on a constant theme, is also not especially helpful.

Just now, Straingone said:

Changed my username recently, as it could have compromised my real life identity.

I have changed my avatar once, from crazy Mexican bull rider to meat helmet purely for aesthetic reasons.

Ah yes. You are the one who triggered this thread. I remembered your avatar and thought wtf. I now dont know you, your thoughts, opinions etc, etc. 

not that i ever did tbh as this is just a random forum on an obscure corner of the interweb. xD

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yes. We dont want the bastards shutting us down. Mind, given we are ahead of the curve so frequently I’m convinced that the legacy media come here to plagiarise. o.O

I would be most concerned with losing my expanded dysfunctional family which I have grown to know and love over many years.

I don't always agree with them, sometimes they wind me up, but not having them would leave a mighty big hole in my day.

3 minutes ago, Straingone said:

I would be most concerned with losing my expanded dysfunctional family which I have grown to know and love over many years.

I don't always agree with them, sometimes they wind me up, but not having them would leave a mighty big hole in my day.

Hell is other people. Said some bloke. I’m tended to agree. o.O

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Hell is other people. Said some bloke. I’m tended to agree. o.O

Taught my daughter about this using a permanent marker dot on the mirror.

Couldn't ever rub the mark off, it's still there today.

We have got so used to it we can't be bothered to change it.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is counter-productive.  You build an image of a person's character by their posts which you associate with a particular user / avatar combination and then they disappear,

I did it on ToS once but then switched back because I realised that most people didn't know it was still me.

Changing avatars, unless on a constant theme, is also not especially helpful.

Em to be fair I’ve finaly decided on a picture for my ardvark or whatever it’s called . I think it sums me up quite well .so here it is in all its glory it’s not moterhead or the ramones though I do like both bands but I try not to be fashionable che is so last week it’s these guys 

5ADB0B67-6373-4A57-9977-C786D24B99EE.jpeg

4 hours ago, stokiescum said:

Em to be fair I’ve finaly decided on a picture for my ardvark or whatever it’s called . I think it sums me up quite well .so here it is in all its glory it’s not moterhead or the ramones though I do like both bands but I try not to be fashionable che is so last week it’s these guys 

It was actually the teeniest dig at the OP, @One percent, who has done just that and then started a thread complaining about it!

I used to really like the DKs until some of us were listening to them at college and I asked a mate who was only into classical music what he thought of it.  He politely said that all their songs sounded the same.

And do you know he was absolutely right.

Once I'd heard that it was crashingly obvious that they only had one song and kept changing the lyrics.

It put me right off them.

I have enough trouble recognising people when they change their avatar. If they change their handle I don't recognise them at all and merely wonder why X is no longer posting. Then I forget about them. I have too many things going on in my mind to have to keep working out who is whom.

I also have enormous trouble recognising women who change their hair in any way. Colour, cut or even putting it up or down as opposed to their regular option. I have not even recognised past girlfriends when they do this.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

It was actually the teeniest dig at the OP, @One percent, who has done just that and then started a thread complaining about it!

I used to really like the DKs until some of us were listening to them at college and I asked a mate who was only into classical music what he thought of it.  He politely said that all their songs sounded the same.

And do you know he was absolutely right.

Once I'd heard that it was crashingly obvious that they only had one song and kept changing the lyrics.

It put me right off them.

Too subtle for me Frank.  Missed the dig completely. xD  anyhow, I’ve changed it back. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Too subtle for me Frank.  Missed the dig completely. xD  anyhow, I’ve changed it back. 

It's been missed.

Edit: it's also mildly disconcerting when somebody has an avatar of the other sex.  The avatar is the visual cue for the person so you're wrong-footed immediately. The German girl avatar of ccc goes back so long though that I'm used to that.

Edited by Frank Hovis
6 hours ago, stokiescum said:

5ADB0B67-6373-4A57-9977-C786D24B99EE.jpeg

Good choice, the bloke pictured is vaguely like a slightly larger you in appearance as well.

59 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's been missed.

Edit: it's also mildly disconcerting when somebody has an avatar of the other sex.  The avatar is the visual cue for the person so you're wrong-footed immediately. The German girl avatar of ccc goes back so long though that I'm used to that.

Yes, that is something I never thought about doing. What does it all mean?