• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Mellie

Did you know...

Recommended Posts

When I tried my football forum on my works computer one lunchtime it was blocked on the basis that it was "social media".

It wasn't someone in IT blocking it but they had subscribed to a site blocker that classified sites into types and then let you decide which of those types were blocked.

I suspect we are also classified as social media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

When I tried my football forum on my works computer one lunchtime it was blocked on the basis that it was "social media".

It wasn't someone in IT blocking it but they had subscribed to a site blocker that classified sites into types and then let you decide which of those types were blocked.

I suspect we are also classified as social media.

 

National lottery is blocked in most supermarkets. In the early days of wi fi in supermarkets you would find the red tops blocked but the Guardian fine. Stuff like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

When I tried my football forum on my works computer one lunchtime it was blocked on the basis that it was "social media".

It wasn't someone in IT blocking it but they had subscribed to a site blocker that classified sites into types and then let you decide which of those types were blocked.

I suspect we are also classified as social media.

I think we may fall under the checkbox for anti-social media tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Dosbods is blocked by Morrison's in store WiFi.

Strange but true.

It's not surprising. Most block lists for web gateways/DNS firewalls are generated  automatically with manual overrides to add/remove specific sites. DOSBODs has a lot of swearing on it and the occasional link to pictures of women in a state of undress, both of which will be detected and trigger a block. Any large retail operation will set their infrastructure to block anything even slightly controversial as it's not worth the ballache of dealing with complaints from the usual "think of the childrruuuuuuun" and "all white people are nazis" types. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

It's not surprising. Most block lists for web gateways/DNS firewalls are generated  automatically with manual overrides to add/remove specific sites. DOSBODs has a lot of swearing on it and the occasional link to pictures of women in a state of undress, both of which will be detected and trigger a block. Any large retail operation will set their infrastructure to block anything even slightly controversial as it's not worth the ballache of dealing with complaints from the usual "think of the childrruuuuuuun" and "all white people are nazis" types. 

I wonder if it was fine before XYY exposed his buttocks.  I think spunko best be careful he doesn't get a knock* from the feds for hosting such profanity.

*after lockdown is over of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

When I tried my football forum on my works computer one lunchtime it was blocked on the basis that it was "social media".

It wasn't someone in IT blocking it but they had subscribed to a site blocker that classified sites into types and then let you decide which of those types were blocked.

I suspect we are also classified as social media.

I presume you sacked the cunt...?

I know just how much you look forward to seeing my arse while you are "working"...

;)

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My office WiFi blocks a UK regional newspaper as a gambling site. Don't know what that says about the Norwegian view of the UK 😁

For clarity I've never tried Scunthorpe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

I have posted this before, but DOSBODS was blocked the last few times that I have passed through Doha airport (other forums were not).

I think you talk doublethink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

They are correct.  We are anti-establishment loons.

Different type of security risk. Apparently we are: "Sites that host or distribute malware or whose purpose for existence is as part of a malicious network (malnet) or the malware ecosystem."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Different type of security risk. Apparently we are: "Sites that host or distribute malware or whose purpose for existence is as part of a malicious network (malnet) or the malware ecosystem."

Our 'malware' isn't of a digital essence - it's making people informed (though we largely only preach to the converted).

Arguably you could say it is the same thing as neurons are only electrical charged impulses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad this site is blocked at my work. Too many chances of nsfw images popping up (though I'm absolutely happy to see them on my phone / home laptop)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

DOSBODs has a lot of swearing on it and the occasional link to pictures of women in a state of undress, both of which will be detected and trigger a block.

So, if we had pictures of sweary women in a state of undress, would the blocks cancel eachother out?

Not that I'm suggesting anyone tries an experiment....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, unregistered_guest said:

So, if we had pictures of sweary women in a state of undress, would the blocks cancel eachother out?

Not that I'm suggesting anyone tries an experiment....

 

Er, no! I was wrong though, see my subsequent post. @spunkocould probably get us unblocked by some of the major vendors of blocklists if he could figure out why they think we host malware, which we clearly don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Well... Get this:

Most internet fora are blocked by the company I work for but Dosbods is still accessible.

Not after tomorrow! I have told them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

It's not surprising. Most block lists for web gateways/DNS firewalls are generated  automatically with manual overrides to add/remove specific sites. DOSBODs has a lot of swearing on it and the occasional link to pictures of women in a state of undress, both of which will be detected and trigger a block. Any large retail operation will set their infrastructure to block anything even slightly controversial as it's not worth the ballache of dealing with complaints from the usual "think of the childrruuuuuuun" and "all white people are nazis" types. 

I don't think it's as clever as that. They probably have an algorithm that detects forum software. Try going on TOS and see if it's blocked too?

23 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Well... Get this:

Most internet fora are blocked by the company I work for but Dosbods is still accessible.

Can you please try another site using the same software as this, Invision.. such as TOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't think it's as clever as that. They probably have an algorithm that detects forum software. Try going on TOS and see if it's blocked too?

Can you please try another site using the same software as this, Invision.. such as TOS.

TOS is not blocked (by Symantec at least):

1136558563_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0915-53-36.png.548938dec37a2d0aa393dbedcf4faa5d.png

You can check others easily here: https://sitereview.bluecoat.com/#/

For some reason, they think DOSBODS hosts malware:

1377161973_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0915-55-17.png.f6c64b9fa11e0aacae23f37fcac33f7e.png

I know a bit about this website categorisation stuff - it's related to something I used to do in a previous job - and there are a lot of factors. Simple language stuff is there (so all that calling people a cunt would impact our categorisation) but, for malware, we'd likely need to have active links to a download for something malicious hanging around.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

TOS is not blocked (by Symantec at least):

1136558563_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0915-53-36.png.548938dec37a2d0aa393dbedcf4faa5d.png

You can check others easily here: https://sitereview.bluecoat.com/#/

For some reason, they think DOSBODS hosts malware:

1377161973_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0915-55-17.png.f6c64b9fa11e0aacae23f37fcac33f7e.png

I know a bit about this website categorisation stuff - it's related to something I used to do in a previous job - and there are a lot of factors. Simple language stuff is there (so all that calling people a cunt would impact our categorisation) but, for malware, we'd likely need to have active links to a download for something malicious hanging around.

 

You malware promoting moose-shagger survivalist cunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

TOS is not blocked (by Symantec at least):

1136558563_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0915-53-36.png.548938dec37a2d0aa393dbedcf4faa5d.png

You can check others easily here: https://sitereview.bluecoat.com/#/

For some reason, they think DOSBODS hosts malware:

1377161973_Screenshotfrom2020-05-0915-55-17.png.f6c64b9fa11e0aacae23f37fcac33f7e.png

I know a bit about this website categorisation stuff - it's related to something I used to do in a previous job - and there are a lot of factors. Simple language stuff is there (so all that calling people a cunt would impact our categorisation) but, for malware, we'd likely need to have active links to a download for something malicious hanging around.

 

I'm tempted to say , if you're using Symantec SafeSearch or some such shitty browser plugin then it's probably best you don't get access to DOSBODS....! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.