• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Covid cycling

8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It's a positive. But not for those in oldham unless you buy a folding one you can take on the tram.

Loads of positive noises for cyclists!

Cyclists are the new witches - and should all be burned at the stake.

Especially those Lycra-clad power rangers who think that having the right to use a public road makes them impervious to a painful and nasty death under the wheels of a big lorry.

Given the amount of cycle tracks and pavements available for them and their children's toys to move around safely, I would give no more consideration to one of these dozy bastards flying over my bonnet on the way to Hell than a bug splatting against my windscreen...

XYY

MAMILS everywhere today, I assume, as I wasn't riding my motorbike at all today as that would be a breach of lockdown. But I'd also assume I'd see dozens of them even on a short ride, and in my area at least, most would be riding solo rather than in a hoard.

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Especially those Lycra-clad power rangers who think that having the right to use a public road makes them impervious to a painful and nasty death under the wheels of a big lorry.

This is one of the main reasons I ride off-road. There are thousands of miles of bridleways to ride on, few other people, and no lorries to get squashed under.

Just now, Popuplights said:

This is one of the main reasons I ride off-road. There are thousands of miles of bridleways to ride on, few other people, and no lorries to get squashed under.

Now you are my new cycling best friend. First one I've ever heard any common sense from. My mate Bob is a cycling Nazi, who insists he has a right to go wheresoever he chooses. And he is correct, he does.

He didn't get much choice with the taxi bonnet he flew over the top of a few years ago though.

Round here, all the old railway lines that used to join the collieries to towns like Hartlepool and Sunderland are now lovely car-free cycle paths. They even have road style names like the N14 and the N1. 

My house is four hundred yards from the N1, where the only danger I am in is crashing into a pile of Foster's lager cans...

XYY

1 hour ago, snaga said:

I wasn't riding my motorbike at all today as that would be a breach of lockdown.

It's OK as long as you are more than 2 metres from the vehicle in front, which I highly recommend.

4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

My mate Bob is a cycling Nazi, who insists he has a right to go wheresoever he chooses. And he is correct, he does.

What did these people do before the lycra craze? I guess they joined the NF for a fight?

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's OK as long as you are more than 2 metres from the vehicle in front, which I highly recommend.

I think you'll find that 2 seconds from the vehicle in front is a more reliable survival strategy Mr Pimm's...

XYY

What did these people do before the lycra craze? I guess they joined the NF for a fight?

Surprising how many drivers in vehicles don't seem to keep a good distance from the car in front.  One of my bug bears and something everyone should be following from day 1 of learning to drive.

The power rangers were maybe into tie die heat sensitive 90s wear and sport bandanas I guess

Just now, The XYY Man said:

I think you'll find that 2 seconds from the vehicle in front is a more reliable survival strategy Mr Pimm's...

XYY

I would give it a bit more space than that.

Just now, Dogtania said:

Surprising how many drivers in vehicles don't seem to keep a good distance from the car in front.

They think it's a video game.:CryBaby:

I would give it a bit more space than that.

Me too - even in a car, never mind a motorbike.

But then I'm the daft cunt who isn't quite the daft cunt that I appear to be...

XYY

33 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Now you are my new cycling best friend. First one I've ever heard any common sense from. My mate Bob is a cycling Nazi, who insists he has a right to go wheresoever he chooses. And he is correct, he does.

He didn't get much choice with the taxi bonnet he flew over the top of a few years ago though.

Round here, all the old railway lines that used to join the collieries to towns like Hartlepool and Sunderland are now lovely car-free cycle paths. They even have road style names like the N14 and the N1. 

My house is four hundred yards from the N1, where the only danger I am in is crashing into a pile of Foster's lager cans...

XYY

Thanks @XYY Man although I am a bit disappointed not to have been called a cunt.

1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

How far do you have to ride to get on one? For me, it’d be a fair distance, and a limited set of routes once on one.

I ride on the road. Commuting, fitness, enjoying the countryside and, until last year, racing. 

11 000+ miles every year. I’ve ridden a lot from a young age, decades before the 2012 boom. I get very little hassle from car drivers. 

2 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

How far do you have to ride to get on one? For me, it’d be a fair distance, and a limited set of routes once on one.

I ride on the road. Commuting, fitness, enjoying the countryside and, until last year, racing. 

11 000+ miles every year. I’ve ridden a lot from a young age, decades before the 2012 boom. I get very little hassle from car drivers. 

Fuck me, I struggle to do that with 2 cars and a motorbike!

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Fuck me, I struggle to do that with 2 cars and a motorbike!

11 700 miles in 2016. My highest total. After that, 2017 I was in great form, won races, and a fair amount of prize money.

Edited by Transistor Man

6 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

I'm lucky, in Winchester I can be on a bridle path in about 2 minutes. From there I can get onto the south downs way in about another 25 mins.

Don't do anything like your miles, I just mostly bimble....

1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

I am struggling to find a good balance, on public footpaths (Thames towpath for example) - I can see how cyclists can be annoying for walkers, on a road - getting in a way of cars

Posted (edited)

Agreed, shared paths are a hassle. I have a bell which I ring when approaching walkers from behind. They tend to get very upset if you make them jump by silently passing them. I got shouted at by one old boy this week, he was out with his grandson. I dinged the bell, the kid heard it and looked back, the old boy obviously didn't, and jumped when I passed. Can't win sometimes!!

Edited by Popuplights

Just now, Popuplights said:

I'm lucky, in Winchester I can be on a bridle path in about 2 minutes. From there I can get onto the south downs way in about another 25 mins.

Don't do anything like your miles, I just mostly bimble....

I’ve cut down massively this year, after stopping racing. Now, Just commuting, and fitness/ countryside rides.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

I am struggling to find a good balance, on public footpaths (Thames towpath for example) - I can see how cyclists can be annoying for walkers, on a road - getting in a way of cars

Maybe people should be more easy going?

Edited by MrPin

My only issue with cycle paths is that they aren't connected to each other very well, and you can find yourself missing out at the start of one as it is on the other side of the road. The road gets too busy to stop, and cross if there is no pavement, so you've no choice but to carry on.

24 minutes ago, 201p said:

My only issue with cycle paths is that they aren't connected to each other very well, and you can find yourself missing out at the start of one as it is on the other side of the road. The road gets too busy to stop, and cross if there is no pavement, so you've no choice but to carry on.

They are often old railways that went to places which are not in use any more, like Auswicz. I guess it's why people sign up to Peleton?

37 minutes ago, MrPin said:

They are often old railways that went to places which are not in use any more, like Auswicz. I guess it's why people sign up to Peleton?

People sign up to Peleton to tell people that they've signed up to peleton.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

People sign up to Peleton to tell people that they've signed up to peleton.

At least there's no Zyklon-B, just an empty wallet.