• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Mellie

Rare breed meat to eat

Just been down to the farm shop this afternoon, bought some pork which we've never bought from there before.

Apparently the pigs are 'Iron Age' which is a cross between a wild boar and a Tamworth sow. Supposed to be quite different to regular supermarket pork, so I'm looking forward to putting it in the Bolognese tomorrow.

Are there any other breeds or meats that the dosboderati know of(reasonable price i.e. very small premium over supermarket pricing, not ridiculous money) that are worth a go?

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Just been down to the farm shop this afternoon, bought some pork which we've never bought from there before.

Apparently the pigs are 'Iron Age' which is a cross between a wild boar and a Tamworth sow. Supposed to be quite different to regular supermarket pork, so I'm looking forward to putting it in the Bolognese tomorrow.

Are there any other breeds or meats that the dosboderati know of(reasonable price i.e. very small premium over supermarket pricing, not ridiculous money) that are worth a go?

Did they have any pangolin steaks?

I've discovered the Queen is the member of this terrible dining society! Kings, Queens, Emperors from around the world, they meet on her flagship the Q.V.1 to eat the rarest and the most endangered creatures they could find. this year the highlight is....

This thread has started with such a pretentious premise that I really can't see it going any further.

But no doubt DOSBODS' Law* will prove me wrong....

XYY

*That every pretentious action will result in a fuck-off game of "Bobby Two-Sheds"...

4 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

This thread has started with such a pretentious premise that I really can't see it going any further.

XYY

*That every pretentious action will result in a fuck-off game of "Bobby Two-Sheds"...

Nice silverside slow roast for yours XYY just as Mum used to make it, while you enjoy a scenic walk in the hills or just have a cringeworthy few hours with the extended family talking banal shite.  When it's all over a nice stew will be ready to satiate any hungry guest.

p0zew3okdolz.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&au

1 minute ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

Nice silverside slow roast for yours XYY just as Mum used to make it, while you enjoy a scenic walk in the hills or just have a cringeworthy few hours with the extended family talking banal shite.  When it's all over a nice stew will be ready to satiate any hungry guest.

1 is not applicable and 7 must be the largest joint, arse.

23 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

Fuck off... Nothing pretentious about buying meat. Get yerself down there, they've got some very tasty looking homemade pies.

Some hilarious replies though. 'Pangolin' and 'bat'. You wags!

Just now, Roger_Mellie said:

Fuck off... Nothing pretentious about buying meat. Get yerself down there, they've got some very tasty looking homemade pies.

Some hilarious replies though. 'Pangolin' and 'bat'. You wags!

There is everything pretentious in buying meat, just like there is in buying absolutely anything.

How else can they get you to pay over the odds for it...?

Any animal that has been factory farmed will taste shit when compared to one that has been fed and exercised properly. But that's it.

Your "iron-age" pigs are no different. Feed them swill and they will taste like fucking swill...

XYY

20 minutes ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

I wonder if people of different races taste different?

I'm as sceptical that anyone other than a Smithfield old hand could taste the difference between different breeds of the same animal.

Shirley the biggest taste difference must be between organic and non-organic, as it is with fruit and veggies?

Like tasting the difference between a lifelong human smoker/junk food addict, and a fitness freak?

I should write Sainsbury's adverts.

Traditional breed pork carcasses can be very fatty, something our ancestors craved but isn't to modern tastes with sedentary jobs and central heating. Beef for human consumption has to be killed by 36 months (CJD iirc) whereas not so long ago animals of 5 or 6 years were considered desirable for their taste. Meat hanging practices also changed during WWII, when house wives got used to buying freshly killed rather hung for some days because of the strong demand created by shortages and rationing.

"Before Hitler's war a good butcher would not dream of letting meat go out of his shop until it was ready to cook. Hung for ten days probably. Had he done otherwise his meat would have been tough and tasteless and his customers would have left him."

- W.M.W. Fowler 1965

12 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

I wonder if people of different races taste different?

Apparently the Orientals think that Caucasians all smell of milk.

3 minutes ago, Royston said:

Yep, big part of European diet. Pakistanis smell of curry, and so did I after a month there.

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

For bolognese I'd be using the cheapest pork/beef mince that Asda had.

2 minutes ago, eight said:

For bolognese I'd be using the cheapest pork/beef mince that Asda had.

It's the fat free organic one, with extra magic added?

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

There is everything pretentious in buying meat, just like there is in buying absolutely anything.

How else can they get you to pay over the odds for it...?

Any animal that has been factory farmed will taste shit when compared to one that has been fed and exercised properly. But that's it.

Your "iron-age" pigs are no different. Feed them swill and they will taste like fucking swill...

XYY

I think that you are confounding yourself, CUNTxYY.

37 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

I think that you are confounding yourself, CUNTxYY.

No I am not.

Just because a pig is described as "rare-breed" does not mean it will taste good.

It's yet another marketing tactic - only this one is aimed at upwardly mobile pretentious cunts rather than regular folk.

If it's fed well and looked after properly, then there is no reason why any animal should not taste fine.

Except in the mind of snobs...

XYY

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

No I am not.

Just because a pig is described as "rare-breed" does not mean it will taste good.

It's yet another marketing tactic - only this one is aimed at upwardly mobile pretentious cunts rather than regular folk.

If it's fed well and looked after properly, then there is no reason why any animal should not taste fine.

Except in the mind of snobs...

XYY

Monsieur XYY - you're making too many assumptions.

It's likely to taste different, but not neccesarily better. We eat a lot of pork, we know what we like (Morrison's not Aldi) so there's a possibility we won't get the iron age stuff again.  But we do like food, and we do like to try different things  - hence the question.

You're also wide of the mark with the snobbery, although I know where you're coming from - I've got a mate who uses the phrase 'craft ale' basically for anything that comes in a bottle and isn't lager. Boils my piss.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

2 hours ago, Royston said:

Do they smell of garlic?  Serious question not been to China.  I think they eat a lot but also vaguely recall that your body after a while adjusts and doesn't smell so bad if eating garlic 24/7.

1 minute ago, Dogtania said:

Do they smell of garlic?  Serious question not been to China.  I think they eat a lot but also vaguely recall that your body after a while adjusts and doesn't smell so bad if eating garlic 24/7.

I too have never been to CHINA, but a colleague used to go quite a lot. I asked about the food, as I like food. Basically spiced vegetable soup, with a bit of chicken in it, and noodles. No PANGOLINS, or BATS were mentioned.o.O

8 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Monsieur XYY - you're making too many assumptions.

It's likely to taste different, but not neccesarily better. We eat a lot of pork, we know what we like (Morrison's not Aldi) so there's a possibility we won't get the iron age stuff again.  But we do like food, and we do like to try different things  - hence the question.

You're also wide of the mark with the snobbery, although I know where you're coming from - I've got a mate who uses the phrase 'craft ale' basically for anything that comes in a bottle and isn't lager. Boils my piss.

I make no assumptions mon frère - I simply say what I see.

Posh cunts spend a fortune on caviar - perhaps the most rank food available.

And oysters - so minging you have to swallow them without chewing...!

What the fuck is that all about...?

Answer: Pretentiousness.

Just like the hokey-cokey - that's what it all about...

XYY

6 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Here's a fact that not many people know...Many Far Eastern folk have a different type of earwax (white and hard) to Westerners and people with this type of earwax don't get BO.

Just now, Roger_Mellie said:

Here's a fact that not many people know...Many Far Eastern folk have a different type of earwax (white and hard) to Westerners and people with this type of earwax don't get BO.

Some people are smelly. They have to wash more. I do think people of European ancestry smell more, and sometimes badly so. I don't of course. I have heard the comment in KOREA, where they are definately NOT Chinese BTW.

Bloke I went with was a sweaty cunt and smelt foul in that humidity.