• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Fucking Hell, Midges!

I have no idea if this is coronavirus lockdown related or not but there are several huge clouds of midges outside my balcony right now. I live a couple of miles away from areas of Toronto where we normally get them - ravines near the Don & Humber rivers mainly - and this is the furthest away from there I've ever seen the little bastards.

Canadian weather shifting about a bit at the moment - isn't there another late cold snap with a wind driving it presumably from North (ish), does that tie in with your location? 

13 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Canadian weather shifting about a bit at the moment - isn't there another late cold snap with a wind driving it presumably from North (ish), does that tie in with your location? 

We've had a bit of a cold snap over the last couple of days but it's nothing out of line with the last ten years that I can recall. It doesn't get reliably warm here until July usually. I did wonder if midges don't like traffic fumes because they're notably absent around here at the moment.

There are loads of insects everywhere. It can only be due to less cars and pollution imo. If you go cycling in the evening with sunglasses on you'll get a few bug spats on them. 

What I find most bizarre is that so few are talking about it, I can only assume most people either don't notice or they're just sitting in watching Netflix. 

Last Monday there were literally thousands of those flies with hanging legs everywhere in my garden. It was like a plague. 

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

There are loads of insects everywhere. It can only be due to less cars and pollution imo. If you go cycling in the evening with sunglasses on you'll get a few bug spats on them. 

What I find most bizarre is that so few are talking about it, I can only assume most people either don't notice or they're just sitting in watching Netflix. 

Last Monday there were literally thousands of those flies with hanging legs everywhere in my garden. It was like a plague. 

It's hard to think up any alternative explanation for sure. I wonder how much is the reduced pollution vs. the reduced bug splatting activity of moving vehicles?

Posted (edited)

Yep, went out in the car last evening and there was the constant crackle  of exploding insects, only did 20 miles and the windscreen was a right mess of red and yellow guts.

Got rubbished with my bug-splat post a couple of years ago but its just like the 1970s now for them.

Loads more small birds as well in the hedgerows, never seen as many.

Edited by Chewing Grass

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Yep, went out in the car last evening and there was the constant crackle  of exploding insects, only did 20 miles and the windscreen was a right mess of red and yellow guts.

Got rubbished with my bug-splat post a couple of years ago but its just like the 1970s now for them.

Loads more small birds as well in the hedgerows, never seen as many.

Well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52461913

Coronavirus: Traffic 'reaching early 1970s levels'

Back then the pollution from cars was way worse so that would seem to imply that it's the physical movement rather than the exhaust fumes which has killed off the bugs in recent years.

48 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

They don’t like cigarette smoke so it’s possible

I was going to suggest that maybe it is less air pollution, re lack of vehicles on the roads, that is causing the midges to venture further.

Or maybe @TheBlueCat just offended one and he went to get his mates.

5 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

I’m very tempted by one of these pump action salt shotguns for the upcoming bug season. Might need a bayonet attachment for those big Asian bastards though

C178BDF5-C932-481B-ACC7-534CA42DD468.jpeg

had one for years.  they are fucking ace - as long as you don;t let the kids use them and shoot salt in your eye as they follow a moving target.  don't ask.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

And the death hornets, don't forget the death hornets.

I reckon I saw one of those in the park yesterday, seriously. Wasn’t aware they were even present in Europe, I knew the Asian hornets were here but not the giant ones. Massive thing, it was collecting dirt, or appeared to be doing so, so I suppose building a nest? I got a really good look at it, quite close. 

I recognize the European hornet easily, they’re quite common here, this was definitely not one, much thicker body and the colours are different. It looked about the size of this one in this video. Yuck, don’t want them knocking around here. 

Edit : scrub that, checked images online and the closest color match I could find was a bigger-and yellower-than-usual European hornet queen, colours weren’t quite right for the Asian monsters. Nasty looking thing, but not aggressive. 

Thank goodness for that. 

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

10 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I reckon I saw one of those in the park yesterday, seriously. Wasn’t aware they were even present in Europe, I knew the Asian hornets were here but not the giant ones. Massive thing, it was collecting dirt, or appeared to be doing so, so I suppose building a nest? I got a really good look at it, quite close. 

I recognize the European hornet easily, they’re quite common here, this was definitely not one, much thicker body and the colours are different. It looked about the size of this one in this video. Yuck, don’t want them knocking around here. 

Fucking hell, that’s terrifying! If I’d come across that scene I’d have run a mile not hung around filming it.

22 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Fucking hell, that’s terrifying! If I’d come across that scene I’d have run a mile not hung around filming it.

Makes my arse pictures look positively benign...

XYY

My son..then aged 6..was stung by one of these Giant Hornets aged about 7 in SE Asia. I imagined his pain. Hes alive. 

Retribution. A few years later I deceided to remove a wasps nest. I had stuffed the entrance shut some days before. It was in a bird box I had made put up on the back of the shed. I have no idea why...but I removed the stuffing. I should know better as a close friend is a pest controller and has told me so many tales aboit his work.

I removed it and they swarmed my head. I think I was stung about 15 times on my scalp.I felt very odd and off it..or woozy for about an hour.

Still as I told my son a few years before..Yep pain..yep I lived.

Not sure How my immune system would handle that overload again.

Those Big Hornets are a sight to see. They arent fast. You wonder how they stay up. But they are unaturally big.

1 hour ago, The Grey Man said:

My son..then aged 6..was stung by one of these Giant Hornets aged about 7 in SE Asia. I imagined his pain. Hes alive. 

Retribution. A few years later I deceided to remove a wasps nest. I had stuffed the entrance shut some days before. It was in a bird box I had made put up on the back of the shed. I have no idea why...but I removed the stuffing. I should know better as a close friend is a pest controller and has told me so many tales aboit his work.

I removed it and they swarmed my head. I think I was stung about 15 times on my scalp.I felt very odd and off it..or woozy for about an hour.

Still as I told my son a few years before..Yep pain..yep I lived.

Not sure How my immune system would handle that overload again.

Those Big Hornets are a sight to see. They arent fast. You wonder how they stay up. But they are unaturally big.

how do you know the hornet was seven?

:Jumping: