• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Maccy fries

Posted (edited)

You missing fast food?  Probably pretty spot on though that recipe given the amount of HFCS he shoved in and then added more sugar.

McD's is what it is, tasty junk but easy enough to stay away from.  Best chips I ever had were from someone who had perfected cooking them in lard over decades.

Edit: it didn't take decades to cook!

Edited by Covid19 and life to go
noneofyourbusiness

I think of everything like this in economic terms. With the amount of paper towels he uses as well as oil/heat/effort, I'll stick to £1.99 Maccy D's vouchers for the occasions when we do have it post lockdown. Until then 1kg bag of Iceland french fries will do.

10 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

I think of everything like this in economic terms. With the amount of paper towels he uses as well as oil/heat/effort, I'll stick to £1.99 Maccy D's vouchers for the occasions when we do have it post lockdown. Until then 1kg bag of Iceland french fries will do.

This is it - unless you're deep drying everyday or at least regularly then the home batch ends up costing more than getting the real thing.  I think it's a novelty to do or at least try it (same goes for homemade KFC, Friday night kebab, radioactive red sauce chinese spare ribs etc.) but there's no way that effort would be a common thing (though a freezer after the 'blanching' stage might make it okay in bulk if unhealthy tata's are your thing, after all that's how they are transported by Mc'Ds I would guess).

1 hour ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

You missing fast food?  Probably pretty spot on though that recipe given the amount of HFCS he shoved in and then added more sugar.

McD's is what it is, tasty junk but easy enough to stay away from.  Best chips I ever had were from someone who had perfected cooking them in lard over decades.

Edit: it didn't take decades to cook!

NO! Not missing them it just showed up! 

mac d fries used to be fried in lard or some kind of animal juice?  Have fond memories of eating when young but that could be the novelty treat factor.  When I tried them recently they were wholly unsatisfactory, almost a chore to eat even.  

1 minute ago, Dogtania said:

mac d fries used to be fried in lard or some kind of animal juice?  Have fond memories of eating when young but that could be the novelty treat factor.  When I tried them recently they were wholly unsatisfactory, almost a chore to eat even.  

Vegi now. No lard overflow.

I quite like them.

Fries are a consumer version if fruits, which are nice. Double fried.

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I quite like them.

Probably cooked in something that is very detrimental to your health. Hydrogenated veg oil is incredibly bad for you, as is heating up veg oil. I think that olive oil is ok but i bet they don’t use that. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Probably cooked in something that is very detrimental to your health. Hydrogenated veg oil is incredibly bad for you, as is heating up veg oil. I think that olive oil is ok but i bet they don’t use that. 

Just ask Ronald.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/product/fries-medium.html

Fries

Potatoes, Blend of Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (predominantly added at beginning of the potato season).
Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil.
Salt is added after cooking.
Please note our Fries can be cooked in the same oil as the Red Pepper and Pesto Goujon which contains: Yellow Split Peas, Tomato, Breadcrumb (8%) (Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Maize Flour, Amaranth Flour, Maize Starch, Teff Flour, Salt, Dried Glucose Syrup, Dextrose, Emulsifier (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids)), Cooked Arborio Rice, Rice Flour, Sundried Tomato Pesto (7%) (Water, Sundried Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato, Salt), Tomato Paste, Red Wine Vinegar, Olive Oil (Refined Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Basil, Red Onion, White Sugar, Garlic Puree, Cornflour, Black Pepper), Red Pepper (7%), Water, Sunflower Oil, Maize Starch, Onion, Rapeseed Oil, Maize Flour, Basil, Garlic Puree, Salt, Black Pepper, Thickener (Xanthan Gum).

Just now, spygirl said:

Just ask Ronald.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/product/fries-medium.html

Fries

Potatoes, Blend of Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (predominantly added at beginning of the potato season).
Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil.
Salt is added after cooking.
Please note our Fries can be cooked in the same oil as the Red Pepper and Pesto Goujon which contains: Yellow Split Peas, Tomato, Breadcrumb (8%) (Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Maize Flour, Amaranth Flour, Maize Starch, Teff Flour, Salt, Dried Glucose Syrup, Dextrose, Emulsifier (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids)), Cooked Arborio Rice, Rice Flour, Sundried Tomato Pesto (7%) (Water, Sundried Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato, Salt), Tomato Paste, Red Wine Vinegar, Olive Oil (Refined Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Basil, Red Onion, White Sugar, Garlic Puree, Cornflour, Black Pepper), Red Pepper (7%), Water, Sunflower Oil, Maize Starch, Onion, Rapeseed Oil, Maize Flour, Basil, Garlic Puree, Salt, Black Pepper, Thickener (Xanthan Gum).

See veg oil. Very bad when heated to high temperatures. 

9 hours ago, JohnThePessimist said:

KFC in Telford opened for drive thru’ last week. At one point the queue took 3 hours apparently. It’s an example of why the Pessimist Kids refer to Telford as Chavistan.

It sound's like a cheap day out to keep the kids quiet. We're getting a McDonalds - it'll be the poor man's Disney World.

9 hours ago, One percent said:

See veg oil. Very bad when heated to high temperatures. 

Relative to what though? Frying in general isn't brilliant so what's the additional risk of vegetable oil over lard? As long as it's low in trans fat you should be fine.

28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I really don't like that they're sweetening the chips.

The video guy by soaking them in corn syrup and granulated sugar and McDonalds with Dextrose (glucose).

Do you want sugar with your chips?

Er, no thanks.

It's not done all year on McDonald's. Can't remember the home economics stuff but sugar levels vary in potatoes stored so they need sugar adding to ensure a consistent taste.

Like blending wine so it tastes the same year on year.

Just now, sarahbell said:

It's not done all year on McDonald's. Can't remember the home economics stuff but sugar levels vary in potatoes stored so they need sugar adding to ensure a consistent taste.

Like blending wine so it tastes the same year on year.

Tbf it did note that in the McD instructions; I was more shocked by the video guy pouring in the sugar.

I'm not being sniffy; they make excellent coffee and I do like the chips.  That is a regular snack for me in the US where I also have their excellent cinnamon pastries.

12 hours ago, spygirl said:

I quite like them.

Burger king so much better when I've been both fries and burger.  A few years ago I would to every other week, they had some kind of deal for small burger fries and drink for £1.99.  was advertised for a while then disappeared but you could still ask for it.  Guilty pleasure but definitely think all this veg oil cooking could down the road be found to be really bad.

Olive oil good for lower heat I think.  Extra Virgin you don't want any heat - very low smoke point before it starts releasing toxins etc.

Think the reason McDonalds so popular compared to bk is their branding more than taste

12 hours ago, Dogtania said:

Burger king so much better when I've been both fries and burger.  A few years ago I would to every other week, they had some kind of deal for small burger fries and drink for £1.99.  was advertised for a while then disappeared but you could still ask for it.  Guilty pleasure but definitely think all this veg oil cooking could down the road be found to be really bad.

Olive oil good for lower heat I think.  Extra Virgin you don't want any heat - very low smoke point before it starts releasing toxins etc.

Think the reason McDonalds so popular compared to bk is their branding more than taste

BK  franchises are a shower of shit.

My son likes the chicken royale. Go for meal deal. Place are falling to bits. Milkshake machine bust.