• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
eek

It's Redundancy Week

Not that I think it will impact anyone here but if your company has more than 100 employees and you wish to make a lot of them redundant there is a 45 day consultation period (it's 30 days if the number being made redundant is 20-99, 45 days if over 100 but most companies will be playing this safe and doing 45 day consultations).

For staff that a furloughed that notification period needs to kick off by Friday unless the furlough scheme is extended so expect some painful screams later this week as reality dawns.

3 hours ago, eight said:

You also have to be genuinely certain that the role is becoming redundant as it can cause problems restaffing in the event of an upturn.

As is always the case with examples like this change the job title, change the job spec slightly and you are good to go.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, eight said:

You also have to be genuinely certain that the role is becoming redundant as it can cause problems restaffing in the event of an upturn.

You are technically, right

But I have never seen that be a problem in the public sector

and as @eek said

Edited by Hopeful

4 hours ago, TheNickos said:

I heard that 8000 BA staff have emailed MPs, I honestly can't see the point as bailing them would mean bailing everyone and the pot is literally empty.

Cheers that's great news. I had no idea our pot was just empty. I thought we were at huge negative.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

Doesn't it eventually become potless?

Eventually it won't resemble a pot at all, but they will keep calling it a pot. :CryBaby:

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

Can a bottomless pot ever be truly empty? Discuss.

You would need a big cupboard for a bottomless pot. I've had a bottomless soup or ice cream but had to refill it.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Cheers that's great news. I had no idea our pot was just empty. I thought we were at huge negative.

IIRC somebody, possibly on here, showed that Britain is actually poorer than Zimbabwe because we have a higher per capita national debt than they do.

I doubt you'd have much luck trying to explain that to a boatload of Zimbabweans in the English Channel though.

Edited by Austin Allegro

3 minutes ago, BoSon said:

On the plus side, all those redundant airline workers can fill the new travel sector that will be booming soon, pedaling rickshaws of people to work that otherwise would be on the public transport. Deliveroo becomes Deliveryou. xD

So BA staff, get on yer bike.

Can they keep the 2m rule away from their passengers?  Oh wait, they are reducing that. As you were. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Can they keep the 2m rule away from their passengers?  Oh wait, they are reducing that. As you were. 

Yes, plastic screen sales are soaring. If that's too tricky to fit then PPE if under 2m. Though with the number of medics succumbing I'd not bet on PPE working that well.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, JohnThePessimist said:

We have been invited to a ‘Big Announcement’ from the Head of Supply Europe via Skype tomorrow. I expect at least one of the sites must be about to be thrown under a bus. 

They can do a talent show-type thing. Get half of you to join conference call A and half of you to join conference call B. Then Simon Cowbell comes into both and tells you you've not made it through to the next round. 

Edit to add: I've got a meeting with my HR office manager on Teams this afternoon. No idea what it's about as I've never been busier. They reopened outdoor beer gardens there yesterday 😭

Edited by The Generation Game

57 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Can a bottomless pot ever be full?

It can either only be full or empty. If you pour something into a bottomless pot then is it in the pot or in the air?

31 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

It can either only be full or empty. If you pour something into a bottomless pot then is it in the pot or in the air?

Perhaps we should ask @The XYY Man like all humans, being just a tube, he typifies a bottomless pot.

What is his retention time ?

I guess it depends upon his what he has eaten

Anyone been through a redundancy process? How does voluntary work? 

They ask for volunteers. Let's say I volunteer. Is it after that, the terms get discussed? Would that be negotiable do you think? 

If you then reject the offer, what's to stop them shortly afterwards making you redundant on the bare minimum?

29 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

They ask for volunteers. Let's say I volunteer. Is it after that, the terms get discussed? Would that be negotiable do you think? 

If you then reject the offer, what's to stop them shortly afterwards making you redundant on the bare minimum?

usually terms are published in advance and include incentives to sign early, not really negotiable unless things like leave date. Likely future terms will be worse given the current climate.

4 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

usually terms are published in advance and include incentives to sign early, not really negotiable unless things like leave date. Likely future terms will be worse given the current climate.

yes, this is my experience - if voluntary redundancies are offered, it's highly likely terms in the first wave are better than terms in later waves.

35 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Maybe:

. Voluntary redundancy quite limited (usually to public sector and large companies).

. Yes, they ask for volunteers.

. Sometimes the terms are up front, sometimes after you volunteer.

. Tendency is not to up the offer but go straight to compulsory (but never say never).

. Not often as negotiable as you'd wish (although maybe minor stuff like not working notice, laptop, etc).

. All compulsory redundancies have to be fairly selected so should not be relevant, but if the process is fair, then yes, it could be the minimum.

. Specific situations require specific advice, lawyer, ACAS website, etc.