• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Democorruptcy

If you are still working while millions are on furlough....

How happy are you that while you are working and paying tax, millions are sat in the sun all summer?  

65 members have voted

  1. 1. How happy are you that while you are working and paying tax, millions will be sat in the sun all summer?

    • While I'm working, paying people to stay at home is the right thing to do to save lives
      3
    • While I'm working if others are staying at home, I shouldn't be paying any income tax
      19
    • As long as I can keep busy at work I don't give a toss what they do about furlough or my taxes
      12
    • This furlough shite has gone on too long already and I'm livid that I'm working and paying taxes that go to the folk sat in the sun
      25
    • Why do polls never have the option I want to vote for? Mine was...
      11


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

What do you workers think?

I don't give a toss about anybody else.

I don't expect anyody else to give a toss about me. It seems people can't stop interfering, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the idea about income tax, but for us, it's a double whammy... work & tax as usual, then a double helping of tax coming to pay for it all, with no sun-tan to boot (invariably the best days have fallen mid-fucking week, of course). I can only console myself by the fact that most of the furlough lot will be more or less unemployable come November (at which point, the next proper lockdown starts again anyway)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

What do you workers think?

Crazy. The problem now is it really is a holiday as you are free to travel. While earning 2500 per month.

Expect the virus to second wave in quick time, while those furloughed who would normally be working indoors, spread in country parks and beaches instead.

Serious Question  - just how is our spending addicted young chancellor going to pay for all this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rowley said:

Like the idea about income tax, but for us, it's a double whammy... work & tax as usual, then a double helping of tax coming to pay for it all, with no sun-tan to boot (invariably the best days have fallen mid-fucking week, of course). I can only console myself by the fact that most of the furlough lot will be more or less unemployable come November (at which point, the next proper lockdown starts again anyway)

It consoles you that the furlough will still be required in November, so it will be continuous and today has just bridged a potential gap until the clocks change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Green Devil said:

Crazy. The problem now is it really is a holiday as you are free to travel. While earning 2500 per month.

Expect the virus to second wave in quick time, while those furloughed who would normally be working indoors, spread in country parks and beaches instead.

Serious Question  - just how is our spending addicted young chancellor going to pay for all this?

I'm not so sure. I think it's interesting that HMG has graciously allowed us to go out more and sit in parks etc. I think it's because they've realised the virus either doesn't spread as much as they thought, or that it does and most people don't even get any symptoms.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Democorruptcy said:

It consoles you that the furlough will still be required in November, so it will be continuous and today has just bridged a potential gap until the clocks change?

Well, one (the virus) doesn't come without the other (furlough) it seems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prefer to still be working - although it is from home so much more relaxed and I've worked there a while so on autopilot. 

Work gives me discipline as without it my drinking tends to creep towards three or four day benders every weekend.

It's not like the farlowed have much available to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Crazy. The problem now is it really is a holiday as you are free to travel. While earning 2500 per month.

Expect the virus to second wave in quick time, while those furloughed who would normally be working indoors, spread in country parks and beaches instead.

Serious Question  - just how is our spending addicted young chancellor going to pay for all this?

He's just got lucky and landed in the job when it's give... give... give. It will be paid for (swept under the carpet) by a long dated "war" bond practically interest free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Democorruptcy said:

He's just got lucky and landed in the job when it's give... give... give. It will be paid for (swept under the carpet) by a long dated "war" bond practically interest free.

Whose he hoping is going to buy this bond? Only the BOE would buy such garbage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m seething that as posted above, I’m paying for this now, and I will be paying for it again for a long time to come. I recently finished a period of unemployment where I didn’t draw a penny from the state. Why should I be bailing out millions of people? As lockdown relaxes this will increasingly look like a paid spring break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Prefer to still be working - although it is from home so much more relaxed and I've worked there a while so on autopilot. 

Work gives me discipline as without it my drinking tends to creep towards three or four day benders every weekend.

It's not like the farlowed have much available to do. 

Home delivery alcohol orders have rocketed up today. Stocking up for the barbecues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

TBH it would of been fairer to pay everyone a basic income for the period at a far more modest level of say 800pm - INCLUDING those working in key posts or otherwise. 

But then that isnt the tory scum way.

That wouldn't be enough to pay mortgages for people banks, or enable FTBs to save up for a deposit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, I wouldn't even joke about this to my colleagues who are still on the coal face. I have to say I'd be livid if I was still working (and busier than ever at that) whilst furloughed colleagues were complaining about boredom, hangovers and sunburn.

I'm also in the basic income camp, it makes too much sense and I don't know why we're not doing it already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

It consoles you that the furlough will still be required in November, so it will be continuous and today has just bridged a potential gap until the clocks change?

This is what I see it as.

I can't understand it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Home delivery alcohol orders have rocketed up today. Stocking up for the barbecues.

I've decided to double my homebrew production. I don't see the point in spending good money on beer from the shops when I am just drinking it on my own. Plus with homebrew I know exactly what's in my poison, it only costs 10p a bottle and not one penny of it goes to the Treasury in tax (apart from the cost of the sugar tax, but unless I start keeping bees I can't get round that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Today has been particularly galling for me as I'm under some pressure in work, and it looks like I'll be under pressure for several months as the entire business has to adjust to the lockdown and stuff has to be rewritten quickly to account for this so it falls on me as one of the productive ones.

Before all this I already had two friends one of who is a stay at home Dad and the other who gets away with 3 min wage shifts a week. They have so much more free time than me as a result of never bothering with all that 'career' shite, and of course cruically finding wives.

Now it's ramped up another notch, when I log onto Facebook for a wee break from work I'm greeted with an even wider range of folk lounging around their back gardens not a care in the world.

Whereas I'm still being expected to produce, pay taxes, pay my rent, and I don't even have anybody to say good morning to or sit and watch a bit of telly in the evening with. Even walking around town is lonely as it seems to be mostly drunk chavs and somalians - be different if there was some sense of community and people I could chat to.

And on top of that I've had two hospital appointments cancelled - one to check that my kidney doesn't need to be removed (1 in 20 chance it will over 5 years) and another to collect some orthopedic shoes. So I'm not even getting the services I pay tax for.

The 3 day a week bloke was off for 2 weeks recently with suspected covid, and whilst I was rushing against the clock today he was texting me about the video games he's playing as he's off all this week as well. Don't get me wrong he's my oldest friend and I love him to bits and he's probably helping keep me sane but this whole fucking country seems to be work work work for a smaller and smaller number of people.

My brother's like that too, he's working his arse off remotely while his two best mates are getting free government money to be shacked up with their girlfriends. Doesn't seem to get to him though fair play to him.

I think it's taking the piss.

Another single IT person I know sent me a message this evening and I think the penny's dropping for him too that he's gonna have 6 months of solitary confinment plus work stress, while others will have 6 months off with their significant others or families.

Oh and if any of you want to have a pop at me for any of the above, please don't - just let me have my chance to rant and be in a foul mood today.

Have you read 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand? It very much echoes your sentiments.

In that book all the productive members of society start dropping out and form a secret free state in the mountains of Colorado.

Obviously we can't do that but we can opt out in other ways, eg by minimising our tax burdens, work hours etc, living frugally and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Today has been particularly galling for me as I'm under some pressure in work, and it looks like I'll be under pressure for several months as the entire business has to adjust to the lockdown and stuff has to be rewritten quickly to account for this so it falls on me as one of the productive ones.

Before all this I already had two friends one of who is a stay at home Dad and the other who gets away with 3 min wage shifts a week. They have so much more free time than me as a result of never bothering with all that 'career' shite, and of course cruically finding wives.

Now it's ramped up another notch, when I log onto Facebook for a wee break from work I'm greeted with an even wider range of folk lounging around their back gardens not a care in the world.

Whereas I'm still being expected to produce, pay taxes, pay my rent, and I don't even have anybody to say good morning to or sit and watch a bit of telly in the evening with. Even walking around town is lonely as it seems to be mostly drunk chavs and somalians - be different if there was some sense of community and people I could chat to.

And on top of that I've had two hospital appointments cancelled - one to check that my kidney doesn't need to be removed (1 in 20 chance it will over 5 years) and another to collect some orthopedic shoes. So I'm not even getting the services I pay tax for.

The 3 day a week bloke was off for 2 weeks recently with suspected covid, and whilst I was rushing against the clock today he was texting me about the video games he's playing as he's off all this week as well. Don't get me wrong he's my oldest friend and I love him to bits and he's probably helping keep me sane but this whole fucking country seems to be work work work for a smaller and smaller number of people.

My brother's like that too, he's working his arse off remotely while his two best mates are getting free government money to be shacked up with their girlfriends. Doesn't seem to get to him though fair play to him.

I think it's taking the piss.

Another single IT person I know sent me a message this evening and I think the penny's dropping for him too that he's gonna have 6 months of solitary confinment plus work stress, while others will have 6 months off with their significant others or families.

Oh and if any of you want to have a pop at me for any of the above, please don't - just let me have my chance to rant and be in a foul mood today.

Feel you brother.

Imagine how bad it would be for you if you came down with 'COVID symptoms' and had to self isolate from work for a few weeks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.