• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JohnThePessimist

Vertigo

Since Monday morning I have been feeling dizzy. The only thing I can compare it with is getting off a boat after several hours. Having persisted with it for 2+ days which eliminated the most obvious cause (hangover), I had a phone consultation with a GP. Her diagnosis is vertigo and there will be a prescription waiting for me at the pharmacy tomorrow.

I must admit that I have always put vertigo into the same category of diseases as myalgia, lethargy, sleeping sickness and other forms of made up pish. Has anyone here experienced it? Have any of the home remedies such as the Epley manoeuvre worked?

Thanks all.

7 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Give Menieres Disease a whirl for 15 years if you think its made up.

I have a hole in my skull to show for it. They dont do that op now.

And no, it wasnt to let all the bad spirits out...

No, don't you lot look up diseases on the internet! You will find you have got the lot!:CryBaby:

Dizzy feelings are sometimes an ear infection, or otherwise a 4 month journey round the Cape, in rough seas, with too much rum.

18 minutes ago, MrPin said:

No, don't you lot look up diseases on the internet! You will find you have got the lot!:CryBaby:

Dizzy feelings are sometimes an ear infection, or otherwise a 4 month journey round the Cape, in rough seas, with too much rum.

Shouldn’t you check whether he has a parrot and peg leg before casting such aspersions?  o.O

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, JohnThePessimist said:

Since Monday morning I have been feeling dizzy. The only thing I can compare it with is getting off a boat after several hours. Having persisted with it for 2+ days which eliminated the most obvious cause (hangover), I had a phone consultation with a GP. Her diagnosis is vertigo and there will be a prescription waiting for me at the pharmacy tomorrow.

I must admit that I have always put vertigo into the same category of diseases as myalgia, lethargy, sleeping sickness and other forms of made up pish. Has anyone here experienced it? Have any of the home remedies such as the Epley manoeuvre worked?

Thanks all.

Is it possible that you have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - small crystals of calcium in the inner ear.

You can do a few exercises to dislodge them and stop the vertigo. Basically it is lying your head on the edge of your bed and turning your head in a precise series of turns to dislodge the calcium.

Sometimes you have to do them several times over a few days but it usually works. I am amazed that your doctor did not tell you about the exercises. No, hang on - not at all. Like D3 the exercises are probably not known by lots of doctors.

Here is a link to several videos on youtube showing you the problem and then numerous videos showing the exercises. I suggest trying a few of them and see whether they work. Don't do it just once though - try them each day for 3 or 4 days.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=benign+paroxysmal+positional+vertigo

Edit:

Ah, yes - just saw the prescription from the doc. Why advise a simple 5 minute exercise when an expensive drug can be prescribed.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Is it possible that you have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo - small crystals of calcium in the inner ear.

You can do a few exercises to dislodge them and stop the vertigo. Basically it is lying your head on the edge of your bed and turning your head in a precise series of turns to dislodge the calcium.

I told you not to look things up on the internet.O.o

I don't think break dancing will cure it.

Just now, MrPin said:

I told you not to look things up on the internet.O.o

I don't think break dancing will cure it.

I developed vertigo last year. Nasty thing. Got up and the room was spinning. Smashed into my wardrobe, bounced off it into the bedroom door and then the wall. I did the exercises. They helped. The vertigo returned a few times over the following days but I continued the exercises and each time the vertigo lessened.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I developed vertigo last year. Nasty thing. Got up and the room was spinning. Smashed into my wardrobe, bounced off it into the bedroom door and then the wall. I did the exercises. They helped. The vertigo returned a few times over the following days but I continued the exercises and each time the vertigo lessened.

I have heard of similar.

Posted (edited)

It absolutely destroyed the lives of two people that I know: one colleague and one relative.  A third, ex-colleague, had it come on recently so he's had to stop driving.

All men all 50 - 70.

My relative seems to have shaken it off after two to three years as I read that some people do.  He went from dividing his time between a caravan in France, one in Devon, and a home to one small flat, unable to drive or even go out for months at a time because when he did he usually crashed to the pavememt and ended up in hospital.

Colleague no longer drives, has to have an office by himself, and is very careful what he does.  Hopefully he also shakes it off after two or three years.

There doesn't seem to be a cure and it's utterly debilitating.  Even standing up makes you feel very unwell.*

You have my sympathies @JohnThePessimist.

Up to three years ago I, like most people, thought it was just another word for fear of heights.  Funny how things change.

* When it's bad.  They can go for weeks at a time and it's fine and then it will suddenly come on and they have it for weeks.  It leaves you unable to make plans because tomorrow you may be unable to leave your home.

Edited by Frank Hovis

My burd had similar diagnosed with labyrinthitis. 

Nasty thing. 

Reading about it usually the result of a viral infection :Old:

When she went to docs in Feb they said it's very strange they have had 6 in just that week with this. Unheard of. 

Two weeks ago I heard my old boss came down with it for two weeks. 

Remember all those people just falling over in Wuhan at the start of this ? Meant to be dead but clearly that was just exaggerated.

I've mentioned this ages ago on the covid thread and I reckon very good chance this will come out in the future as a symptom of this thing. 

Maybe @ccc. It's quite common. It usually goes after a while. A mate of mine had it and it lasted a couple of weeks. He was about 30 something, so not elderly.

1 hour ago, sukuinage said:

Friend of mine had this - it got better after the prescription (whatever it was)

Hopefully his prescription wasn't from DOSBODS massive?

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Maybe @ccc. It's quite common. It usually goes after a while. A mate of mine had it and it lasted a couple of weeks. He was about 30 something, so not elderly.

Hopefully his prescription wasn't from DOSBODS massive?

I'd just never heard of it ever before. 

Yet now on here, my burd, my boss, and the docs she goes to suddenly all bring it up same time as this this is going around. 

And it's usually caused by a viral infection. 

I'm just putting 2+2 together 

Just now, ccc said:

I'd just never heard of it ever before. 

Yet now on here, my burd, my boss, and the docs she goes to suddenly all bring it up same time as this this is going around. 

And it's usually caused by a viral infection. 

I'm just putting 2+2 together 

The three I know with it were all well prior to this.

The first was 2018, second early 2019 and the last mid 2019.

Rule of small numbers I admit but IME there is no connection to CV19.

1 hour ago, JohnThePessimist said:

Thanks all.

Hi, I had exactly what you state back in January, however mine was so BAD it was a struggle to even get out of bed.

Managed to get to see my local DR, yep she was sure i had Vertigo , and recommended the Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo exercises via a printed chart.

These had a small improvement, HOWEVER , searched on YT and found this video:

It SAVED my life, this exercise is a LOT harder, JUST do it, you have nothing to lose, and boy I'm i gland i did them...THANK God/Buddha ...I'm 99,9% fine now, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Posted (edited)

I get it i have worked it down to something to do with my sinuses ,as it normally comes when my sinuses play up ,i have have come to the conclusion that is caused by long periods in a dry atmosphere ,centrally heated house and no fresh air or working in a dry dusty atmosphere 

First time i had it the quacks put it down to an inner ear infection ,but every time since a good few hours in fresh air has sorted it out 

The first time i had it it scared the living daylights out of me ,i woke up and it felt like i had drank a bottle of whisky ,you know when you turn your head and your eyes follow ten minutes later 

Edited by Long time lurking

Posted (edited)

Yes, had it when in early 30's, a couple of years after developing tinnitus. Nearly split my skull open on the bedside table the first time, had several boughts of it over a couple of years and it was getting worse.

Not had that or the tinnitus since I first learned to scuba dive, although it took my hearing in one ear a week to come back after the first trip. Same ear I had a number of infections in since a child, so I guess that is it and I must have flushed or pushed something out somewhere.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ccc said:

I've mentioned this ages ago on the covid thread and I reckon very good chance this will come out in the future as a symptom of this thing. 

Well i have have mentioned the local smack head that was on a ventilator /induced coma for two months with the CCP virus

The last time i seen him before he disappeared  for a couple of months or so , he was hanging on to  trees/railings and crawling towards home, i just assumed he was off his tits which is still a possibility 

Edited by Long time lurking

2 hours ago, JohnThePessimist said:

Thanks all.

Some inner ear infection can cause this sort of sea sickness like nausea.

Thanks again to everyone who has shared. No offence was intended by my op, I was merely illustrating my own ignorance of the subject. The prescription will hopefully be ready tomorrow. In the meantime I have attempted the Epley manoeuvre a few times on both sides, and I’ll see if it helps in the morning.

Never heard of this before. Yesterday colleague of mine said his wife has just gone down with labyrinthitis. 

Coincidence maybe.