• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

School's out for ever ...

Might be worth a thread of its own.

This could well be the key battleground between the left and the Government. Unless the schools can open, many workers can't return to their jobs.

Teachers are saying they really want to go back - but it isn't safe. (Yeah, right)

How many pupils are going to go back? - from what I hear, not many.

The other thing I have heard is the theory that you are in more danger on your journey to school than at school itself. Perhaps it is time to really piss off the sharp elbowed mummies and insist that every kid goes to their nearest school, no excuses. And that means where you live now, not where you moved to a month after getting little Fiona into the best school in the area.

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

This could well be the key battleground between the left and the Government. Unless the schools can open, many workers can't return to their jobs.

Teachers are saying they really want to go back - but it isn't safe. (Yeah, right)

The other thing I have heard is the theory that you are in more danger on your journey to school than at school itself. Perhaps it is time to really piss off the sharp elbowed mummies and insist that every kid goes to their nearest school, no excuses. And that means where you live now, not where you moved to a month after getting little Fiona into the best school in the area.

No point continuing  employing teachers then.

Lets direct the money spent of teaches to a virtual, coursebook based learning.

15 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

This is the case in Geneva, though people still get round it a bit. (we did as the local school is 65% Kosovar and private is good but  >2200chf a month)

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes, but who is going to fulfil the babysitter / childminder role?

With the money saved on teachers, the state to provide a Swedish au pair for all?

1 minute ago, A tremendous # on the lung said:

Posted earlier in the main thread - from the people we know, sounds like roughly half won't be sending their kids back in June. 

We've been asked to confirm before the end of this week

Yes, that post was what prompted me to start the thread.

I am hearing the same locally.

45 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes, but who is going to fulfil the babysitter / childminder role?

Well when house prices fall back such levels that they are affordable to a bloke on average wages, all the women can give up work and become stay at home mothers again.

Back to the Seventies.

Only member of my team without school aged kids. ZOOM meeting this morning was discussing going back to office from next month. They all proclaimed they felt it was not safe for their kids to go back so would likely keep them off until Sep, meaning it is likely I will be the chump having to drive 45 miles to the office each day. 

18 minutes ago, hapax legomenon said:

Only member of my team without school aged kids. ZOOM meeting this morning was discussing going back to office from next month. They all proclaimed they felt it was not safe for their kids to go back so would likely keep them off until Sep, meaning it is likely I will be the chump having to drive 45 miles to the office each day. 

How did they used to cope during July and August?

19 minutes ago, hapax legomenon said:

This is so weird. Ours can't wait to go back and we can't wait for her to go back. Not because we don't like having her here, but some daily interaction, routine and normality has to be good?

18 minutes ago, hapax legomenon said:

Very obvious what is happening here. Single parent says she doesn't think school is safe, then claims to employer she needs to stay off work AND  still be paid. I don't think this will fly for too much longer as an obvious ploy. 

Anyway, must leave, haven't read mumsnet yet today. 

Posted (edited)

Our eldest is in reception and supposedly one of the ones who should be going back 1st of June.

I think they're meant to be sending Year R, 1 and 6 back,  then splitting the class sizes in half (presumably using the spare teachers from the other three years).

To me it really makes no difference if they go back or not, so I have no particular axe to grind. They are learning fine at home,  but I'm sure they would love to see their friends again.

It is interesting that we've heard nothing from the school yet confirming any of this..   only a letter asking us to voice any concerns we have so they can pass them to the unions LEA.

Edited by Libspero

yeah I find it weird.  Nothing is clear (correct if I'm wrong) it seems to be a bit vague - I though school was compulsory not optional with a tick box yes no to be filled in by parents. 

32 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

yeah I find it weird.  Nothing is clear (correct if I'm wrong) it seems to be a bit vague - I though school was compulsory not optional with a tick box yes no to be filled in by parents. 

There's a considerable amount of laxity in these discussions considering how much of a fuss they'd kick up if you wanted to take the kids out of school for even a week under normal circumstances..   

4 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

We have put our son back in for 3 days as week as both the Mrs and I are 'essential workers' and need to make regular-ish trips to the office. 

He is in a class of about 6 and confused that many of his friends aren't there.