• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
gibbon

Are my headphones broken or my ears?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Just received a pair of "DJ" headphones from China, they were highly rated and the audio quality seems head and shoulders above anything I've used before. Problem is a lot of what I play seems to be unbalanced between the speakers. My audio library is mostly Youtube mp3 rips saved to Google Music. Never noticed before that say they'd be more bass in the right hand speaker and more voice in the left. One instrument coming entirely from one side. Is this normal or are my headphones fucked? Or is it just slight hearing damage or bad source audio?

For instance this vid posting in another thread, the piano note is 90% coming from the right hand speaker. Is it that everything now is recorded binaural but that all my previous headphones were to shit to experience? 

 

Edited by gibbon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I don't know how good Chinese headphones are, but half of the notes on a piano are on the right side. Try a few good recordings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

I always thought bass was more situated to the left speaker - no idea why though, I'm sure there's a musical genius among us who can enlighten our curiosity?

That's what i'm hoping, sure there's a few audiophiles on here.

For instance, the right speaker using this test seems much deeper/richer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gibbon said:

That's what i'm hoping, sure there's a few audiophiles on here.

For instance, the right speaker using this test seems much deeper/richer

 

Presumably that test is just playing the same sounds on the right channel and then the left channel to compare? If so, then unfortunately it sounds as if your headphones are fucked out of the box. Nothing to do with your hearing, unless the effect is reversed if you flip them round on your head of course! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you change your audio settings to mono, you should get the same signal in both sides of the headphones. If one is still louder then it's either mismatched speakers, or mismatched ears.

You could then try wearing the headphones the wrong way so that the left speaker is in the right ear. If one speaker is louder on both ears it's the speakers. If it is always louder in the same ear then it's your ears.

 

Edited by SpectrumFX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LC1 said:

the effect is reversed if you flip them round on your head of course!

Yes, and you do not really have to stand on your head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MrPin said:

Yes, and you do not really have to stand on your head.

No, but an audiophile friend of mine says it really helps the hifi juju to flow to your ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Presumably that test is just playing the same sounds on the right channel and then the left channel to compare? If so, then unfortunately it sounds as if your headphones are fucked out of the box. Nothing to do with your hearing, unless the effect is reversed if you flip them round on your head of course! :)

Swapped in the headphones round and now it's the left side which is clearer/richer so maybe it is the headphones.

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

If you change your audio settings to mono, you should get the same signal in both sides of the headphones. If one is still louder then it's either mismatched speakers, or mismatched ears.

You could then try wearing the headphones the wrong way so that the left speaker is in the right ear. If one speaker is louder on both ears it's the speakers. If it is always louder in one ear and but there other then it's your ears.

 

Thanks I'll give the mono test a try, when I figure out how to change the settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Just received a pair of "DJ" headphones from China, they were highly rated and the audio quality seems head and shoulders above anything I've used before. Problem is a lot of what I play seems to be unbalanced between the speakers. My audio library is mostly Youtube mp3 rips saved to Google Music. Never noticed before that say they'd be more bass in the right hand speaker and more voice in the left. One instrument coming entirely from one side. Is this normal or are my headphones fucked? Or is it just slight hearing damage or bad source audio?

For instance this vid posting in another thread, the piano note is 90% coming from the right hand speaker. Is it that everything now is recorded binaural but that all my previous headphones were to shit to experience? 

 

 

Congratulations cadet, you have just passed the first test to become an active member of the Space Force. Please proceed to stage 2 - anal probing in zero G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried mono with that YT speaker test, sounded fine. 

I then found another setting for "stereo flip channels" and now the left speaker sounds better than the right, so it must be the source audio on that YT vid which is fucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that youtube test demonstrated that my L/R channels have been swapped for a few months without my noticing. Culprit was a curly extender cable I put in to provide strain relief, the thing must be cross-connected.

On the topic, strange things can happen with a damaged cable, it doesn't necessarily cut out completely. Almost as if a cable break can act as a kind of filter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Why not change over the left and right connections, and stand on your head?

That's a lot of trouble, everything's in reverse in the Southern Hemisphere so just fly there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What headphones, out of interest, @gibbon ?

I've got some budget Chinese earbuds (Tin Audio T2) which sound far better than their price point, but I'm also considering some proper over-ear ones...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LC1 said:

What headphones, out of interest, @gibbon ?

I've got some budget Chinese earbuds (Tin Audio T2) which sound far better than their price point, but I'm also considering some proper over-ear ones...

Oneodio-Wired-Professional-Studio-Pro-DJ-Headphones-With-Microphone-Over-Ear-HiFi-Monitor-Music-Headset-Earphone.jpg_640x640.jpg

£20 on https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32790188098.html

Good reviews on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OneOdio-Headphones-Monitoring-Neodymium-Headsets-Standard-Version/dp/B01MZHAX5S/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=dj+headphones&qid=1589544817&sr=8-9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.