• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781b

2 metre distancing

Is there a scientific justification to the 2m distancing? Is it a probability graph and the 2m is roughly were the numbers fall away quickly so lower risk. Does the virus get the metric system? I tried it at work but hardly anyone had a clue what 2 metre distance was. Colleagues just walked towards you causing me to dive out the way WWE wrestling style maintaining an exclusion shield / zone. 

4 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Is there a scientific justification to the 2m distancing? Is it a probability graph and the 2m is roughly were the numbers fall away quickly so lower risk. Does the virus get the metric system? I tried it at work but hardly anyone had a clue what 2 metre distance was. Colleagues just walked towards you causing me to dive out the way WWE wrestling style maintaining an exclusion shield / zone. 

I think there was. I remember the BBC chucked(?) some paint on the floor, to simulate a cough, and showed that very few particulates went beyond 2m. I've heard on US radio 6ft mentioned. Perhaps you could argue with them about the other 8ish inches. 

18 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Swedes stand that far apart as a cultural norm which probably explains why they did not need to be locked down.

Posted (edited)

if there is any science, it will be "Behavioural Science" rather than biological. And it's worked from a behaviour point of view, people are staying away from each other, and by far more than 2m when possible.

Edited by snaga

48 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I think there was. I remember the BBC chucked(?) some paint on the floor, to simulate a cough, and showed that very few particulates went beyond 2m. I've heard on US radio 6ft mentioned. Perhaps you could argue with them about the other 8ish inches. 

In my experience, 8 inches makes all the difference 

32 minutes ago, snaga said:

if there is any science, it will be "Behavioural Science" rather than biological. And it's worked from a behaviour point of view, people are staying away from each other, and by far more than 2m when possible.

I would say there is a mixture of people.

Those who are scared and stay well clear of everyone.

Those who are obeying the rule because of respect for others or because they’ve been told to.

Those who don’t bother.

Personally I make sure that I don’t go too near people according to the rule but I’m not bothered if anyone comes near me. 

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Stop bragging, it's only 6 inches' difference!

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Indoors I would guess. The thought crossed my mind when queuing to get into Sainsbury’s and i was downwind from the rest of the queue. I thought, well in these conditions, is 2m enough?  

Social distancing is the new argument now among the population. The argument is debated about countries, borders, districts, areas, cities, towns, villages, groups, workplaces, schools, shops, families, individuals etc............

In my opinion humanity, specifically those with power, have led us to a dark future due to ??? .....It’s been the same throughout history really. Disaster after disaster. My glass is half empty!

I generally don't like people entering my personal space. Before covid sometimes I wish I could step back, or emit a bad smell or odour to get people to stay away. Fortunately, I can just step back and it won't be socially awkward.

3 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Is there a scientific justification to the 2m distancing? Is it a probability graph and the 2m is roughly were the numbers fall away quickly so lower risk.

In the Netherlands it's 1.5m, so if there is any "science" it won't be conclusive. I wonder what the rule is in Germany? R4 reported about the 2m distancing there, and it crossed my mind that if Germany uses the same rule as the Netherlands, the So-called might have deliberately misreported in order not to endanger the illusion of well-foundedness.

3 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

I find that carrying around an extendable feather duster is a perfectly acceptable approach to enforce distancing.  Start waving it around like it's a samurai and then extend if needs be.  Of course if it's a female colleague with a tasty derriere then wait until they pass you before you 'enforce' your feather dustery discipline!

wtDLlPpbmXLvT8SPKsow-HpTb2_tn7DyGyUdiQLR

More to the point,  is anyone actually observing it?

Went to the local shops this evening for a few bits and pieces..  in the street people would shift to the side a bit,  but nobody was keeping 2m apart.   In the shops,  similar story (although the staff clearly didn’t give the slightest fuck).  

So as far as I can see people are making minimal effort to social distance..  but certainly not “crossing the road to avoid people” kind of effort.    There were a few more people wearing masks though..  I think I counted 3.

12 minutes ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

Lucky to see 1 red squirrel nowadays never mind 9!

And presumably they don't often queue.

I worked for a pensions company years ago whose mascot was a red squirrel.  A story circulating within the company was that someone had the idea to reintroduce red squirrels to a london park.  They went and trapped a bunch in Scotland, released them in London and then found out that they were, again, out-competed by the greys.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

More to the point,  is anyone actually observing it?

Went to the local shops this evening for a few bits and pieces..  in the street people would shift to the side a bit,  but nobody was keeping 2m apart.   In the shops,  similar story (although the staff clearly didn’t give the slightest fuck).  

So as far as I can see people are making minimal effort to social distance..  but certainly not “crossing the road to avoid people” kind of effort.    There were a few more people wearing masks though..  I think I counted 3.

I literally have zero fears of this virus and think the whole lockdown thing is becoming an absolute joke, having said that I am respectful of other people that a) may be more at risk than I am and b) may be anxious about health  (in no part helped by the media). So I am socially distancing, or at least trying to. But like yourself I ain't seeing much from other people. The thing is a bit of a farce. Queuing at the tills 2M apart but the Aldi shelf stackers getting within 6 inches of you as they come up behind up you to lob stuff on the shelves. They don't give a f**k one end of the store but the other, partition screens up, 1 person on a conveyor belt on the tills...

Familiarity seems to be a problem too. Some people at work seem to want to stand right next to me when there is absolutely no reason to. Strangely the same people who claim to be concerned about the virus. I mean FFS, sort yourself out...

And I do cross the road if it warrants it (not a wide pavement). I like my own personal space at the best of times though so making an effort to go a bit wider than the usual mark isn't too much aggro.

Edited by SillyBilly

4 hours ago, 201p said:

I generally don't like people entering my personal space. Before covid sometimes I wish I could step back, or emit a bad smell or odour to get people to stay away. Fortunately, I can just step back and it won't be socially awkward.

Queueing is better now that some mouth breather doesn't stand 10cm behind you gasping for air.  I don't like the enforced nature of it - the hazchem sticky tape and spray paint everywhere loudly telling you to stand apart - but I am rather fond of not having to deal with people who stand closer and closer to you. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Is there a scientific justification to the 2m distancing? 

IMO all of the lockdown and distancing stuff is bollocks, as demonstrated by sweden.

Looking forward to the global economic melt down though. As an added bonus I get to work from home indefinitely (when there is any actual work to be had of course) as the consultancy I work for is trying to make working from home the default.

Edited by goldbug9999

3 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

IMO all of the lockdown and distancing stuff is bollocks, as demonstrated by sweden.

Looking forward to the global economic melt down though. As an added bonus I get to work from home indefinitely (when there is any actual work to be had of course) as the consultancy I work for is trying to make working from home the default.

Yeah the company I work for (approx 3000 employees) has decided central services will move to a remote working model so the office will go. A big culture change and just trying to work out how all the processes will work. Then there’s the culture change. My thoughts were what will be the difference working for company A or company B if the place of work (desk in my house) is the same! Different people? Though i might never meet them or anyone face to face?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

Lucky to see 1 red squirrel nowadays never mind 9!

8 hours ago, Inigo said:

I found this helpful

98175877_3074722305923988_4384803627986845696_o.thumb.jpg.9eb1a2e269a4200b148f95901082e920.jpg

That is brilliant. I’m going to use that when I get materials. 9 red squirrel lengths of timber please!  Eh? You mean 2m?

Edited by Ash4781b

5 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

All Sweden demonstrates is that an early, weak lockdown is slightly better than waiting for your country to be fucked and then introducing harsher measures. If anything they're the poster country for lockdown.

2 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Yeah the company I work for (approx 3000 employees) has decided central services will move to a remote working model so the office will go. A big culture change and just trying to work out how all the processes will work. Then there’s the culture change. My thoughts were what will be the difference working for company A or company B if the place of work (desk in my house) is the same! Different people? Though i might never meet them or anyone face to face?

IMO that's a really bad idea for Company A because it becomes just another company.

Companies that don't have the majority of their employees interacting on a regular basis and so forming the hive mind / collective ethos of the company are not going to progress they are going to go backwards.