DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

HiFi - is it all bolloks ?

Posted (edited)

I'm reading reviews of amps and seeing stuff like this

"It sounds noticeably cleaner and crisper than its predecessor, with the improvements in the midrange particularly striking - it's a lot more solid, helping the sound hang together as a more cohesive whole."

This surely bollocks right ? - a loudspeaker I can understand having complex nuances to the sound as its by nature a highly non-linear device, but an amplifier ... its just a linear signal transfer function, how the fuck can one be more "cohesive" than another ?.

I have had a fair variety of audio kit over the years, various bits of hifi, guitar and bass amps, PA amplifiers, have had home studio setups and the like and I have never been able to tell the difference between two different solid state power amplifiers unless one was grossly under powered for the situation or otherwise obviously distorting the sound.

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also we need to knock this transport wankery on the head. CDs do not produce uncorrectable data errors unless the disk is damaged, if they did it would be impossible to store software and data general

At the risk of taking the thread off topic - class is one category not recognised in identity politics, funny that. I once had a 'black lives matter' advocate go into total meltdown when I pointed out

I sued to do a lot of analogue recording, and when remixing, distortion and noise would be increased at every mix. So low noise and low distortion were particularly important. But for domestic hi

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

I'm reading reviews of amps and seeing stuff like this

"It sounds noticeably cleaner and crisper than its predecessor, with the improvements in the midrange particularly striking - it's a lot more solid, helping the sound hang together as a more cohesive whole."

This surely bollocks right ? - a loudspeaker I can understand having complex nuances to the sound as its by nature a highly non-linear device, but an amplifier ... its just a linear signal transfer function, how the fuck can one be more "cohesive" than another ?.

I have had a fair variety of audio kit over the years, various bits of hifi, guitar and bass amps, PA amplifiers, have had home studio setups and the like and I have never been able to tell the difference between two different solid state power amplifiers unless one was grossly under powered for the situation or otherwise obviously distorting the sound.

Basically, yes. Once you've got past the real cheap crap or things that are being driven too hard diminishing returns are very rapid.

2 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Mate had a music room in his house, acoustic panels on the walls, turntable on pyramids, gold cables the whole set up.

Played my favourite album for me to show how good it was and was annoyed that it only worked on one channel. I didn't have to heart to tell him that "The Chirping Crickets" was a mono album

😊

It still should come out both channels.o.O

I know somebody who has spent (or so he claims, and I believe him) £300K on a hifi.

Get your head around that.

He keeps very quiet about it, and I don't think any of his other mates know about it.

He justifies it be saying that it is his only hobby, he does not drink, or smoke and he runs a small but succesful business.

It has a room of its own, and has taken him many years to accumulate.

1 minute ago, Bornagain said:

I know somebody who has spent (or so he claims, and I believe him) £300K on a hifi.

He keeps very quiet about it, and I don't think any of his other mates know about it.

He justifies it be saying that it is his only hobby, he does not drink, or smoke and he runs a small but succesful business.

I know a few but not to such extremes.

That they'll admit to :D

3 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

Good. I have expensive guitars. Can't play very well mind.

2 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

it would have been cheaper (and perhaps more rewarding) for him to have bought a few Porsche and and taken them to destruction derbies.

We had a free trial of Tidal which is a relatively expensive music service which streams your music in a higher quality format. I definitely felt I could tell the difference over the more usual MP3 streamers. This is on my phone using a USB DAC and reasonable headphones.  Same using pro audio app and my own FLAC collection.

All my life I loved music but hated sound quality, hearing distortion in everything. I think I really do have the "special ears" which can hear the difference. So does my mum actually. This is not a brag by the way if I wanted to brag I would find something decent worth bragging about (except I haven't really got anything but that's a different story.)

Just now, gaztastic said:

it would have been cheaper (and perhaps more rewarding) for him to have bought a few Porsche and and taken them to destruction derbies.

If ever you needed evidence that we are all different, it is his hifi.

He has plenty of cash (I believe, based on some evidence) but you would never know, he does not drive a flash car, or have flash holidays, he has just chosen to spend it on his passion - each to their own.

Now there's no need to completely empty your whole wallet for a good sound system nowadays.

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

We had a free trial of Tidal which is a relatively expensive music service which streams your music in a higher quality format. I definitely felt I could tell the difference over the more usual MP3 streamers. This is on my phone using a USB DAC and reasonable headphones.  Same using pro audio app and my own FLAC collection.

All my life I loved music but hated sound quality, hearing distortion in everything. I think I really do have the "special ears" which can hear the difference. So does my mum actually. This is not a brag by the way if I wanted to brag I would find something decent worth bragging about (except I haven't really got anything but that's a different story.)

go on, brag!

5 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I'm tho opposite, as long as I can hear it I'm happy.

It entirely depends how good your hearing is.

Download a tone/frequency generator app for your phone and see how fucked your hearing is.

I would hazard a guess that once you are over 40 that spunking money on a super-duper HiFi is more of a vanity trip.

I'm 55 and cannot hear anything below 162Hz and above 7000Hz the volume drops off steadily to 11000Hz then really weird things happen up to 14000Hz when it goes silent.

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

Download a tone/frequency generator app for your phone and see how fucked your hearing is.

I would hazard a guess that once you are over 40 that spunking money on a super-duper HiFi is more of a vanity trip.

I'm 55 and cannot hear anything below 162Hz and above 7000Hz the volume drops off steadily to 11000Hz then really weird things happen up to 14000Hz when it goes silent.

Pardon? :Old:

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Well if I ever get to meet you, I will speak slowly and loudly.