• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
5min OCD speculator

Banana republic of Great Britain

Posted (edited)

This is a chart of the £ vs the $ since the end of 2007

So in just over 12 years you've lost *nearly* half your purchasing power against the Yankees

How and why did this happen and are you angry that the bankers* have done this to you?

I'm fucking angry, I wish I'd been Born in the USA!!! :P

*Inflation/defaltion is almost always a monetary issue so I argue the bankers did this to you ;)

Feel free to post graphs of other currencies and slag off the Eurozone if you're that way inclined :P

Screenshot_2020-05-16_12-51-23.png

Edited by 5min OCD speculator

Americans are still in a shit ton of personal debt. Its as if nothing had been learned from the 2008-09 crisis. Mortgage debt of course and car loans where an 8 year term is commonplace. I bet they must hate paying say, the same $300 on a 7.5 year old car like they were paying since brand new. 

14 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I am British

No you are not you are English. Don't let them hypnotise you into betraying your patriotism to a fake union with other countries. A union which is tottering on its last legs incidentally.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yes, I like to buy American stuff, when the pound is doing good.

So the last time you bought American stuff was in 1987! 🤪

Wherever you reside, we are all part of the same giant ponzi scheme. It doesn't matter if we are coming last as the race never reaches the finish line, it dies... the average lifespan of fiat currency is 27 years according to Google.

5 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

No you are not you are English. Don't let them hypnotise you into betraying your patriotism to a fake union with other countries. A union which is tottering on its last legs incidentally.

I am who I choose to be.

And as a native of the British Isles, I identify as British.

Patriotism is not considered for one micro-second...

XYY

Just now, The XYY Man said:

I am who I choose to be.

Well that's different and I approve of your refusal to be indoctrinated by anyone, including me.

I'd meant to check the exchange rate..  Bloomberg have had a couple headlines about pound weakness recently.  The reporting in UK press has been conspicuous by its absence ¬¬

The reason is probably two things:

1)  Global rush to dollar "safety" because of the global asset crash and pending recession.

2)  Brexit negotiations and bets on the future relationship and combined economic strength of Europe relative to the US (and the UK as a separate component of that).

The first will subside as the pandemic fear ease and money starts flowing abroad again.   The second will be a bumpy ride for the rest of the year,  especially as both sides are fronting as though they are prepared to let the negotiations collapse and walk away.   Both sides will be relying on market reactions to provoke the other into blinking first.

@Frank Hovis that's a weird graph.....the only time the £ has been weaker than the $ since 1953 was in 1985....dunno what happened then!?

see below

Anyway, the point is it's obviously on a 'downward trajectory' and yes guilty of being selective with 1st graph BUT that is the period since the great financial crash of 2007/08

Unless you believe in Kondratiev waves or 'economic supercycles' or such economics 'mumbo jumbo' :o you could argue this is the 'new normal'???

One not only of a buggered £ but now of companies lowering or even getting rid of their dividend payments completely too!

What is one to do with the stash of £sss under the mattress!? O.o

imggraph.png

4 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

@Frank Hovis that's a weird graph.....the only time the £ has been weaker than the $ since 1953 was in 1985....dunno what happened then!?

see below

Anyway, the point is it's obviously on a 'downward trajectory' and yes guilty of being selective with 1st graph BUT that is the period since the great financial crash of 2007/08

Unless you believe in Kondratiev waves or 'economic supercycles' or such economics 'mumbo jumbo' :o you could argue this is the 'new normal'???

One not only of a buggered £ but now of companies lowering or even getting rid of their dividend payments completely too!

imggraph.png

Try plotting GBP against CHF since about 1930 if you want a real laugh. (you'll have to hunt for the data that old but I've found it a couple of times) 

The GBP really ought to be renamed the northern Lira.

If you want some perspective on pound devaluation just look up the price of a gold sovereign.

There are still people alive (just about) who were born into a world where a sovereign was worth £1.

xD

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

So in just over 12 years you've lost *nearly* half your purchasing power against the Yankees

How and why did this happen and are you angry that the bankers* have done this to you?

*Inflation/defaltion is almost always a monetary issue so I argue the bankers did this to you ;)

Feel free to post graphs of other currencies and slag off the Eurozone if you're that way inclined :P

Effing house mate, can't go wrong.  Bet you all feel right mugs for not investing in houses.

Oh, hang on.....

http://www.goldchartsrus.com/chartstemp/UKHousePrices01.php

At least our wages have been going up all these years to keep pace.

Oh, hang on....

PS:  Brexit innit!

Edited by Harley

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

see below

imggraph.png

I have always seen this in even a greater picture. Go back 100 years.

I know...times were different then..empire..thats the point.

Thing is...currency wise..at this weird time...where would you put your money..which currency? The micro picture..Sterling versus Euro is the issue.

The world stage..where we align in a possible changing axis...between US and China.

I can budget for more expensive items. I just dont buy. Its the tax issues that you carnt reasonably avoid.

I really hope this Government fights its full weight by any means from this point forward. Not for me...although I wouldnt mind.

The generation below. They will be screwed.  Whos gonna change my future needed incontinent pants?

The silent killer. Currency devaluation. I say that but one year a go I said this UK place..was way undervalued when compared to Asia.  An opinion. Based on infrastructure...the whole lot. The right minds on board..this is an opportunity. I am not sure from reading if the civil servants and government are up for it. In my view..were cheap..a bargain..capitalise on it. Cheap currency then..great.  As long as the advantage is used.

Or the silent maker if you choose the right currency. Switch out of squids.

Its a big issue....shunned by the MSM.

Edited by The Grey Man
Missing info

On 17/05/2020 at 08:20, 5min OCD speculator said:

I get paid dollars its wonderful. 

Joking aside we are a bannana republic 

On 17/05/2020 at 09:20, 5min OCD speculator said:

Born in the U.S.A
Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

12 hours ago, Option5 said:

19th November  1967.

Britain devalues the pound from $2.80 to $2.40.

Being a teenager who aspired to an American V8, I was devastated. I was even more hurt when my father told me that the rate had been $4.80 =£1.00 in the past. Just after WW2, I think.