• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Deep Fat Fryers Not Made In China

Recommended Posts

I’m looking to buy a new electric deep fryer as my current one is on its last legs. I’m doing my best not to buy Chinese stuff but, aside from commercial type kit, I can’t find a single one that isn’t made in China. Anyone know of a brand that still makes them somewhere other than China?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most Russell Hobbs are made in China. Getting a lot of flack on trustpilot currently re warranties.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/russellhobbs.co.uk

Tefal make in China according to their site.

Morphy Richards say their manufacture in the Far Eat - whatever that means.

I suspect most are in China.

Phillips manufacturers in China, South Korea and Taiwan - 50% of their staff are in China. China is Phillips second biggest market after the US. Reading their wiki page it is scary how much of their stuff used to be made in the UK but which is now made elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips

I see online lots of social media from people asking which products are NOT made in China but the answer generally is feck all.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/upperfield/item/10000031-2/

Never heard of them but seem to be made in Japan.

Its quite a mine of info..tagging something with  ...Not made in China.

Will have to search further. Seems like a lot think similar but no obvious big join up of forces as of yet.

Thanks, will take a look. It did occur to me that there would be Tempura fryers made in Japan so maybe this lot make those. Next to find someone who'll ship to Canada....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/upperfield/item/10000031-2/

Never heard of them but seem to be made in Japan.

Its quite a mine of info..tagging something with  ...Not made in China.

Will have to search further. Seems like a lot think similar but no obvious big join up of forces as of yet.

Actually, that is a tempura fryer - doesn't have a basket so probably wouldn't work too well for chips and the like:

https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-Ageage-Electric-metallic-EFK-A10-TJ/dp/B0000C9BKP

Looks like they do still make some stuff in Japan though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Obviously, you will have to source chinese-free parts

but this method has sgnificant advantages over a deep fat fryer

1) You get a multiuse pan

2) You get a multiuse induction hob

3) You get a multiuse slotted ladle

4) You can get a multiuse thermometer for safety and for cooking  if you wish. but it's pretty easy to judge when the right temperature is reached by dropping in a small piece of what you want to fry. Can also use for jam, etc

 

All three multiuse items bought for less money than a good quaity single-function deep fat fryer.

We leave the dripping in the pan for months. Heat up, fry, put lid on, allow to cool.

We use it for fish 'n chips

Calamari

Tempura lobster

Anything else that need frying

 

 

SE1-1200x1200.jpg

 

01875759-7393-4101-b324-1ef1a174c2b6.jpe

232272858?$rsp-pdp-port-640$

 

71GZBiaTP3L._SY355_.jpg

s-l400.png

 

IMG_0819.thumb.png.c8c57a7ebb4c95bac4bd4a76da1b7dd3.png.472fb3108a41a7544b27d828a11a7991.png

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spunko said:

https://www.appliancesuperstore.co.uk/miele-cs1411f-combiset--deep-fat-fryer-with-a-high-capacity-basin-4199-p.asp

Around half of Miele's stuff is made in Germany, the other half in China. Do you feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?

Luck is what it's about. I bought a Spanish guitar some time back. Was horrified to find it was actually made in Spain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spunko said:

https://www.appliancesuperstore.co.uk/miele-cs1411f-combiset--deep-fat-fryer-with-a-high-capacity-basin-4199-p.asp

Around half of Miele's stuff is made in Germany, the other half in China. Do you feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?

At that price, I should think so.....

 

I maintain that my post is the most practical and Dosbodian solution, and you can use it to cook pasta too, just like the Miele.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

 

I maintain that my post is the most practical and Dosbodian solution, and you can use it to cook pasta too, just like the Miele.

Sadly there is to high a risk factor for me just in case I fancy a post pub nosh up when I have been to one of My Beautiful Pubs.

I very nearly had an, ahem, "incident" with a chip pan many years ago. Very lucky boy.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
Phucking fone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep fat fryers used to cause many a house fire when I was a youngster. So much so that there were public information films warning of the danger, telling you what to do and not do of one erupted in flames. 

I have also seen too many news stories of people badly burned by them that I avoid them like a plague. I might one day be convinced of the merits of an air fryer though. A non Chinese one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Sadly there is to high a risk factor for me just in case I fancy a post pub nosh up when I have been to one of My Beautiful Pubs.

I very nearly had an, ahem, "incident" with a chip pan many years ago. Very lucky boy.

 

Touch wood, not had an incident

Would always use a high-sided pan and never over fill with fat. 33% full is enough

There is no flame with the induction hob. Wouldn't do it over gas.

Pan has a heavy lid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Even South Korea's Daewoo fryers appear to be made in China.

 

Korean and Japanese companies outsource to China a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Deep fat fryers used to cause many a house fire when I was a youngster. So much so that there were public information films warning of the danger, telling you what to do and not do of one erupted in flames. 

I have also seen too many news stories of people badly burned by them that I avoid them like a plague. I might one day be convinced of the merits of an air fryer though. A non Chinese one.

As long as you understand the Archimedes principle then they’re safe from my experience. Certainly safer than a chip pan on top of a gas stove at any rate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Korean and Japanese companies outsource to China a lot.

I imagine that most of the Japanese would only do it via a Taiwanese conduit (that's what my old friend Jason from Taiwan used to say anyway. Japan would not deal with China but would deal with Taiwan, so Taiwan became the middleman). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I imagine that most of the Japanese would only do it via a Taiwanese conduit (that's what my old friend Jason from Taiwan used to say anyway. Japan would not deal with China but would deal with Taiwan, so Taiwan became the middleman). 

Definitely saw that with bike parts. It wasn’t long ago that a lot was made in Taiwan and then, close to overnight, the exact same stuff started showing up with made in China written on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Ah, so they are crabs in disguise.

I love crab, but object to the cost of buying one round here.

I live on the coast, and can't figure out why seafood is dearer here than in fucking Warwickshire...!

 

XYY

A valid point. Bigger issue why we as the island UK seem to have an aversion to fish/shellfish We liked it at some point.

 

Edited by The Grey Man
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Definitely saw that with bike parts. It wasn’t long ago that a lot was made in Taiwan and then, close to overnight, the exact same stuff started showing up with made in China written on it. 

Campagnolo bits are still made in Italy. Well, the expensive stuff anyway. The cheaper bits are made in Romania. They didn't head east, citing IP theft, good on them.

Edited by AWW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Ah, so they are crabs in disguise.

I love crab, but object to the cost of buying one round here.

I live on the coast, and can't figure out why seafood is dearer here than in fucking Warwickshire...!

 

XYY

Man up and get yourself a snorkel. My 16yo nephew has been hunting them so successfully during the lockdown that his mum is fed up of them, but it keeps him occupied. It’s a couple of degrees warmer than Hartlepool where they are but the sea isn’t  exactly toasty yet. (Channel).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.