• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

It'll be cheaper to helicopter people to work rather than spread out across a long train a handful of people. 

InterCity reserved seats only. Limited numbers.

Solutions:

Live near work

Electric bikes

Safe places to cycle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dgul said:

Yet we've got a bizarre situation where there's zero VAT on train tickets, but bicycles (inc electric) are taxed at 20%.  

As always, they talk the talk...

This is a once in an INFINITY chance to actually change the way we live and work.

Get people to realise commuting is for idiots and if you can't walk to work then change where you work/live. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

This is a once in an INFINITY chance to actually change the way we live and work.

Get people to realise commuting is for idiots and if you can't walk to work then change where you work/live. 

 

Mostly agree with this - I used to work somewhere where I could walk in 40 mins/ cycle in 15.  Then the premises moved making it a 20 min walk/7 min cycle (good times).  Then they moved again meaning cycling would take about an hour and walking maybe 4 hours - driving took around 20 mins if traffic good/no road works (which there was 90% of the time).  These are all one way journey times.

Suffice to say I left and now work somewhere I can walk to in 15 mins or cycle in 5.

However, if you get an employer who is lenient on your terms I wouldn't rule out the commute 'on occasion'.  For me that would be 2 days a week and even then I'd be expecting to be doing that outside of rush hour.  All about the balance but also depends on your role.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well........

I always find Labour n Cuntbyns support for trains, well the Unions, ridiculous.

The only people who use the train more than, say, 2 times a month, are in the top 30%.

So, you have the party of the working man, giving vast subs to rich people and their well protected chauffer.

I can think of several people in my immediate friends n family whove not been in a train fir over 20 years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spygirl said:

Well........

I always find Labour n Cuntbyns support for trains, well the Unions, ridiculous.

The only people who use the train more than, say, 2 times a month, are in the top 30%.

So, you have the party of the working man, giving vast subs to rich people and their well protected chauffer.

I can think of several people in my immediate friends n family whove not been in a train fir over 20 years.

 

I have not been on a train, other than a steam train, since the days of good old British Rail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Errol said:

People who can work from home should be allowed to carry on working from home if they like. That solves most of the London issue.

Absolutely.

What to do with all the empty office space?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Absolutely.

What to do with all the empty office space?

Some people will prefer to go to the office, in which case they are free to go (and pay for transport) to get there.

Also, office space will still be needed for the occasional visit, meetings etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

Mostly agree with this - I used to work somewhere where I could walk in 40 mins/ cycle in 15.  Then the premises moved making it a 20 min walk/7 min cycle (good times).  Then they moved again meaning cycling would take about an hour and walking maybe 4 hours - driving took around 20 mins if traffic good/no road works (which there was 90% of the time).  These are all one way journey times.

Suffice to say I left and now work somewhere I can walk to in 15 mins or cycle in 5.

However, if you get an employer who is lenient on your terms I wouldn't rule out the commute 'on occasion'.  For me that would be 2 days a week and even then I'd be expecting to be doing that outside of rush hour.  All about the balance but also depends on your role.

 

Traffic in Reading is a nightmare so we allow staff to pick the shift that suits over our operational day and also the choice of a 30 min lunch or an hour dinner. On Fridays they can opt not to have lunch at all and leave an hour earlier (as well as working an hour less on Fridays so in effect 2 hours earlier). Most take a 30 mins lunch and leave before rush hour and take no lunch on Fridays. Small things like that make a big difference. I hated having to leave an office in the midst of rush hour when employed, unless there is an absolute business need for it then why? Providing the no. of widgets per hour coming off the lines is good I don't care when the hours are done.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.