• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Battenberg

4 Months on

I was interested at first, then got prepared. I was never fearful, just ready. Still fairly optimistic, not cowed but tempered by the known unknowns.

Amaz

8 minutes ago, Stuey said:

2) When we get a real bad one, this episode will have seen them cry wolf. Who'll trust the next one. 

Yes, I think you are right there.

Amazing incoherent advice from government, and people behaving very strangely.

To be honest I think the entire reaction has been massively overblown, I was one of those who thought that 10,000 people max would die. I don't know if I was right or not, but I suspect I wasn't far off when you consider how many people have died "with Coronavirus" i.e not at all.

When all the dust settles many people are going to look back at their behaviour and think "WTF was I doing". Wearing masks, bleaching Tesco carrier bags, it's all madness. IMO.

If the economy resets, people grow more of their own food, house prices crash by 80%, then I think it will have been worth it, but it doesn't look to me like these are going to happen now.

From the first opening I thought it was a damp squib but that in these Twitter-led emotional feelz times it would be blown massively out of proportion with the overreaction adversely affecting every aspect of our lives.

Because governments along with many people are stupid, or, in the case of China, massively repressive the reporting of which made people even more fearful.

No reasonably intelligent person to whom I spoke in RL was worried about the actual virus at any stage but was seriously worried of the government's possible actions on the back of it.  Well on that latter point we were all right to worry because they have made an utter dog's breakfast of the country based upon the advice of someone that should really learn to code. 

Worrying about the virus, unless you were genuinely vulnerable and therefore at risk as you would be from flu, was only ever restricted to the Facebooking bedwetting clapping spanners.

The phrase most frequently heard in my office as we had to gear everyone up for working at home was "This is mental".

Wasn't it just.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

There are a few others that I have also spooted, but they will probably trigger a few folk if I spell them out overtly (gender, generational etc).

I agree with the rest of the post but just leaping in before you say "women" IME women who work full time have as "robust" views on this as men who work full time;  i.e. it's a load of nonsense.

Other than that - go right ahead!

Worked the whole time.

Got a 13% rise in my day rate.

Paid off debt

Done shit loads in the garden and house

Need it to end so my kids can get back to normal, but might actually miss the lockdown.

I'll miss a holiday abroad more than I've missed anything in the last 2 months.

27 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I think I've been through every emotion in that 4 months from real fear, at the beginning, to verging on near indifference now and just being pissed off at being so restricted.

The same sequence for me.  I'm not exactly sure when that changed, but I do remember that when my son (and then I) got a cough etc. after the ski-trippers returned from Italy I was quite relaxed about it.  Probably not Covid-19, but who knows?  Certainly not the government, as we're still waiting for the results of mass random antibody testing in the UK.

My current life is pretty much normal, though with some caution due to having two asthmatics in the house.  As a family group, our strategy hasn't changed - delay the inevitable for as long as possible (assuming we've not already had it) - but there is no cost to us in doing this.

I have not been impressed by the government response at any stage.  The lockdown was/is poorly implemented and (rurally at least) mostly unnecessary.

I wouldn't do anything differently next time.  As I was well prepared, while others were in mile-long queues for a toilet roll I was sitting at home laughing!

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, spunko said:

There are loads of correlations that I have spotted.

The amount of time someone spends watching the news is directly proportional to how shit scared they are.

The amount of time someone spends Facebooking or Tweeting is directly proportional to how shit scared they are.

The more weaponised they are about Remaining in the EU, is directly proportional to how shit scared they are.

There are a few others that I have also spooted, but they will probably trigger a few folk if I spell them out overtly (gender, generational etc).

I don't watch the news - I read your site DOSBODS - that you created from ToS.

Can you confirm that this site won't ever be taken down by any Gov/GCHQ org?

I'd quite happily pay you  10 quid (or more) per annum to cover your expenses (I know you get a buzz anyway from your followers) 

If this site didn't exist, I wouldn't know what to do to find the so called truth/opinions.:(

Thanks Spunko/ Bossman

Do a poll - I'll stump up:)

To edit 

We could have a super subcribers stealth thread where we could post videos of me & stokie tag teaming Margo & 1% pegging xyy :D

Edited by mattydread
I'm pissed - going to bed

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree with the rest of the post but just leaping in before you say "women" IME women who work full time have as "robust" views on this as men who work full time;  i.e. it's a load of nonsense.

Other than that - go right ahead!

I disagree. 

Just walk along the streets or in any shop and you will see way more women wearing mask than men. 

In four months I've gone from:

- this could be life-changing

- glad I'm going on holiday to the UK to see my family, giving me time to consider moving back there

- sod it, I'm moving back to the UK 

- damn, I'm locked down in the UK. It's not the worst thing in the world. If I could get my stuff sent over from CZ, then I could hand in my notice. 

- well the UK is fucked economically for a long, long time. Rather than starting a new life I see a sea of unemployment with lots of competition for new jobs. 

- fuck it, I'll stay in CZ where I am working for a company that appreciates what I offer, with the promise of a more interesting job in a month or two that will drastically improve my skillset and future ability to work from home. 

- oh, they are effectively ending their lockdown next Monday. How the fuck do I get a flight out of here and get someone to give me a certificate showing I tested negative. 

43 minutes ago, spunko said:

To be honest I think the entire reaction has been massively overblown, I was one of those who thought that 10,000 people max would die. I don't know if I was right or not, but I suspect I wasn't far off when you consider how many people have died "with Coronavirus" i.e not at all.

When all the dust settles many people are going to look back at their behaviour and think "WTF was I doing". Wearing masks, bleaching Tesco carrier bags, it's all madness. IMO.

If the economy resets, people grow more of their own food, house prices crash by 80%, then I think it will have been worth it, but it doesn't look to me like these are going to happen now.

Just read your post and then checked my email and got this in an article related to financial markets:

In a wide range of animals, including humans, the ability to detect, observe, and immediately respond to the fear of other members is essential to survival. When a herd of gazelle run from a lion, it’s not because most of the gazelle have even seen the lion, but rather because they respond in sequence to the fear signals provided by nearby members. Some animals even respond to the behaviour of other species. That essential survival response is mediated by a part of the brain called the amygdala.

I would agree that it's not been anything like as bad as some of us (me included) first feared, although the long term outlook and implications still have a reasonable element of uncertainty.

At the same time, I would argue that a significant minority of DOSBODS are complete loons, on the extremes of every argument

Posted (edited)

In contrast to a couple of other posters, I started off thinking, Meh, another weird virus outbreak in China, fuck em. Didn’t occur to me that it would spread round the world to the west, because well, that sort of thing doesn’t happen here.

Now? Well I do take it quite seriously and am trying to avoid catching it, but only by using basic hygiene precautions Eg hand washing, not picking my nose and rubbing my eyes every 5 mins, (but I’ve been avoiding that for a long time, just as I avoid push buttons and door handles). I do think that its far more than just a respiratory disease and that it could have far reaching side / after effects. Having said that though, if the pubs were open again, I’d be there having a few scoops.

I think my overriding emotion though is disappointment in the Boris Johnson administration. I genuinely expected good things from them but they’ve just proven themselves to be reactionary; blown around by the winds of public mood.

Im also concerned for the economic aftermath; even if this ended tomorrow, I don’t think it’s going to be pretty.

Edited by Mirror Mirror

9 minutes ago, eight said:

I think this is massive.

When I watch the news now, it looks like a broadcast from another planet.

Yep. I don’t watch, but if ever I’m in a room with the news on the TV, I feel like Neo, as I watch the propaganda, the layers of deception; no detail is to small to be spun for a tiny incremental gain in their support of the system.