• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Covid19 and life to go

Staple Guns!

YES!!!  A manly mans thread no soy* here or beards (maybe a bit of rough stubble).  No decaf coffee's, vegan burgers, man buns, strap over satchels or electric cars.

Anyway, I digress, and I feel the hive minds of BODS here will aid me in my quest for DIY independence.  I'm looking for a staple gun as I need to bang a 30m wire around the house because internets and all that TV stuff.  Has anyone got a recommendation of ones that are good that would get a standard (electric extension cable sized) wire stuck nicely into the wall/floor/ceiling)?

*Off topic - is Soy sauce considered to be for simps?  It doesn't matter really in the respect I had it as it was a dash to pep up a BOMBAY BAD BOY pot noodle which counters any pooftyness by default but I consider soy sauce and it's general application to trash Chinese food to be a fairly hard mans condiment of choice.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Why not use those cleats with a hard nail in it, and use a hammer? It's how I was taught as an apprentice.

With a handle length between cleats.

A BT standard.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Why not use those cleats with a hard nail in it, and use a hammer? It's how I was taught as an apprentice.

Indeed, @MrPin, I wouldn't bother looking for a staple gun for 30m of cable.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

With a handle length between cleats.

A BT standard.

Ah yes, but it was the Post Office back then, part of the civil service.

As a complete off topic, off topic sort of thing, I had a TV antenna replaced by a father and son local firm. The wiring was so neat, I commented that somebody had done a proper apprenticeship. Yes they had at British Aerospace. They taught you to do a proper job back then.

Edited by MrPin

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Ah yes, but it was the Post Office back then, part of the civil service.

As a complete off topic, off topic sort of thing, I had a TV antenna replaced by a father and son local firm. The wiring was so neat, I commented that somebody had done a proper apprenticeship. Yes they had at British Aerospace. They taught you to do a proper job back then.

Just as off topic, I was looking at a house in Wymondham at the end of January and it was really noticeable how neat some pipework outside was. Really neat. Turned out the owner was a plumber.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Hmm I have done that for an extension lead easy job up and over a door, not sure I fancy banging those in the ceiling and stuff though.  Also I'm all for gadgets and efficiency.  At an old place I had a ridiculous amount of cable installed for the internet again and the chap who did it just whizzed out this gun bang bang bang 20 metres tacked in about 2 mins.  That's appealing tbf.

Also remember when done the gun can be added to the armageddon defense stash!

Edited by Covid19 and life to go
guns

52 minutes ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

YES!!!  A manly mans thread no soy* here or beards (maybe a bit of rough stubble).  No decaf coffee's, vegan burgers, man buns, strap over satchels or electric cars.

Anyway, I digress, and I feel the hive minds of BODS here will aid me in my quest for DIY independence.  I'm looking for a staple gun as I need to bang a 30m wire around the house because internets and all that TV stuff.  Has anyone got a recommendation of ones that are good that would get a standard (electric extension cable sized) wire stuck nicely into the wall/floor/ceiling)?

*Off topic - is Soy sauce considered to be for simps?  It doesn't matter really in the respect I had it as it was a dash to pep up a BOMBAY BAD BOY pot noodle which counters any pooftyness by default but I consider soy sauce and it's general application to trash Chinese food to be a fairly hard mans condiment of choice.

Rapid is the go to brand, they are size specific so you have to ger the staples and gun for the cable your using.

The DeWalt one looks interesting also.

52 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Who the hell invented those? and can I shoot them?

I mean seriously, they won't go into brick, they fall out of mortar, they don't stay in plasterboard, same with plaster over brick/breezeblock, they only seem to work in wood, but who the fuck makes houses out of wood???

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Who the hell invented those? and can I shoot them?

I mean seriously, they won't go into brick, they fall out of mortar, they don't stay in plasterboard, same with plaster over brick/breezeblock, they only seem to work in wood, but who the fuck makes houses out of wood???

You need a hilti gun,puts nail type things into steel girders and even uses gunpowder 

IME cheap staple guns are hit-n-miss on power -- they will either get halfway in and need to be 'topped up', or they'll bash in hard and threaten strangling the cable.