Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Just exactly how stupid are people?


Recommended Posts

I've got a mate who buys ridiculously expensive 'stuff'.  I just take the piss and often refer to him as a 'consumer'.  I've queried why he doesn't spend less and/or buy second hand etc so he can retire earlier, but he doesn't seem bothered.  It's his money I guess.  And, yes, I do think he would buy a bag like this !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've just bought my daughter an iPhone for her upcoming birthday. £730. Ouch.

All the kids are on Apple. It's not a case of keeping up with the Joneses (fuck them) I'm quite happy with my £160 Huawei btw

To me it's just a case of giving my kids the shit I didn't have when I was a kid. They ain't gonna be kids forever and when I was a whipper snapper my mum and dad did their best for us, as skint as they were.

If you can't spend your hard earned on your kids then what's the point of it all.

Edited by lid
.
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lid said:

I've just bought my daughter an iPhone for her upcoming birthday. £730. Ouch.

All the kids are on Apple. It's not a case of keeping up with the Joneses (fuck them) I'm quite happy with my £160 Huawei btw

To me it's just a case of giving my kids the shit I didn't have when I was a kid. They ain't gonna be kids forever and when I was a whipper snapper my mum and dad did their best for us, as skint as they were.

If you can't spend your hard earned on your kids then what's the point of it all.

My initial reaction to this was you're a fucking moron.

After further consideration I have found no reason to alter my initial reaction.

I'm probably just jealous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at all the money printing the Fed has done in the last week alone. That has gone to the top 1% basically. The rich, with their shares in Amazon, Apple, etc, are getting richer without doing anything as the Fed money is used to ramp the stock market.

No wonder stuff like this backpack exists. Things are how people with money define themselves. As they get richer and richer, from doing nothing, they have to find more and more ludicrous ways of defining who they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Look at all the money printing the Fed has done in the last week alone. That has gone to the top 1% basically. The rich, with their shares in Amazon, Apple, etc, are getting richer without doing anything as the Fed money is used to ramp the stock market

The FTSE shows no correlation with respect to health of Companies. I wouldn't go near it now.

Bonds have fallen to negative yields......The stock market will follow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GBDamo said:

My initial reaction to this was you're a fucking moron.

After further consideration I have found no reason to alter my initial reaction.

I'm probably just jealous.

I don't think it's completely moronic. If you browse eBay they hold their value well, so you can get half your money back if you look after tjem. Which is what I intend to do.:Old:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lid said:

I've just bought my daughter an iPhone for her upcoming birthday. £730. Ouch.

All the kids are on Apple. It's not a case of keeping up with the Joneses (fuck them) I'm quite happy with my £160 Huawei btw

To me it's just a case of giving my kids the shit I didn't have when I was a kid. They ain't gonna be kids forever and when I was a whipper snapper my mum and dad did their best for us, as skint as they were.

If you can't spend your hard earned on your kids then what's the point of it all.

With all that Chinky spyware?

I go for a Samsung A30 for £130 

1 minute ago, lid said:

I don't think it's completely moronic. If you browse eBay they hold their value well, so you can get half your money back if you look after tjem. Which is what I intend to do.:Old:

You think your daughter will look after it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

The FTSE shows no correlation with respect to health of Companies. I wouldn't go near it now.

Bonds have fallen to negative yields......The stock market will follow. 

 

Same with the US. Over there the Fed has been buying corporate bonds off companies and rich people for MORE money than they are worth. Talk about the average American bailing out the super rich and their indebted companies.

The Fed Chairman was interviewed on the TV over the weekend and was not asked a single tough question at all. Chris Materson at Peak Prosperity did an excellent video on it last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

Same with the US. Over there the Fed has been buying corporate bonds off companies and rich people for MORE money than they are worth. Talk about the average American bailing out the super rich and their indebted companies.

The Fed Chairman was interviewed on the TV over the weekend and was not asked a single tough question at all. Chris Materson at Peak Prosperity did an excellent video on it last night.

Physical Gold, precious metals  and Bitcoin.......everything else is shite and could just evaporate away.....IMHO

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lid said:

I don't think it's completely moronic. If you browse eBay they hold their value well, so you can get half your money back if you look after tjem. Which is what I intend to do.:Old:

 

If you keep an iphone immaculate - no scratches, chips or dents at all - they hold up their value remarkably well. The secret is timing the sale of your iphone at just the right time to enable you to maximise the price before the new model comes out. Plenty of iphone users do this and it basically is what enables them to keep upgrading.

The secret - toi maximise your resale value - is usually to sell your iphone a few weeks/month before the new version is launched. That means being without an iphone though for that time. Many will use a very old iphone during that time. Some - shock, horror - are said to use android phones.

But they have to be immaculate. Hence why when there are known faults with iphones - such as cases or screens cracking - there is such uproar from iphone users because their resale and upgrade model immediately gets destroyed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

The FTSE shows no correlation with respect to health of Companies. I wouldn't go near it now.

Bonds have fallen to negative yields......The stock market will follow. 

Alternatively, bond prices have risen so much that yields are negative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, lid said:

I don't think it's completely moronic. If you browse eBay they hold their value well, so you can get half your money back if you look after tjem. Which is what I intend to do.:Old:

They don't have to cost a fortune either. I usually buy last year's model from a reseller like Music Magpie, for less than half the new price.  Their "pristine" and "very good" categories look like new to my eyes - and if they send you a dud, you can return it no questions asked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

The FTSE shows no correlation with respect to health of Companies. I wouldn't go near it now.

Bonds have fallen to negative yields......The stock market will follow. 

Low bond yields = cheap money = high corporate profits

High bond yields = expensive money = low corporate profits

Comapnies will be doing fine.

 

When currencies are being devalued then the value of real things and the companies that make real things (including services) rise.

It's not just gold it's also the gold miner.

 

The exception may be houses as they are dependent upon banks' appetite for lending and wage inflation; the both of which are very suppressed at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

If you keep an iphone immaculate - no scratches, chips or dents at all - they hold up their value remarkably well. The secret is timing the sale of your iphone at just the right time to enable you to maximise the price before the new model comes out. Plenty of iphone users do this and it basically is what enables them to keep upgrading.

The secret - toi maximise your resale value - is usually to sell your iphone a few weeks/month before the new version is launched. That means being without an iphone though for that time. Many will use a very old iphone during that time. Some - shock, horror - are said to use android phones.

But they have to be immaculate. Hence why when there are known faults with iphones - such as cases or screens cracking - there is such uproar from iphone users because their resale and upgrade model immediately gets destroyed.

Good advice

I'm also thinking I might as well spend my money on my kids before the government decides to take more of it off me to give to one legged Romanian big issue sellers and the like. Especially once the dust settles on this shit show. Fuck em.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kurt Barlow said:

With all that Chinky spyware?

I go for a Samsung A30 for £130 

You think your daughter will look after it? 

Yeah well won't be buying any more made in China shite after all this shite that's gone on. You live and learn

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...