DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

In a world where everyone's having kids..

Posted (edited)

Should I encourage my kids to have kids?

Magic money tree innit..

A few years back a more naive me would have perished at the thought.

Now I am really not so sure.

I mean if the state is gonna look after every man and his dog should I actively encourage my kids to breed? 

This is insane thinking, but sanity left the building a long time ago..

I see it every day btw, people getting by without a care in the world. UK 2020. 

I'm thinking at least I'll be doing my bit. Who knows what state this country will be in in 2050.

Shag for Britain.  

Edited by lid

Yes even teachers are on it.

Earn your PCGE, get a job, fall pregnant, oops, take maternity leave, go back, fall pregnant, oops, take maternity leave, go back, fall pregnant, oops, take maternity leave, go back...

Willie Sutton's explanation of his chosen career. When asked why he robbed banks, Willie replied, “I rob banks because that's where the money is.”

That's why teachers have children. 

Posted (edited)

It amazes me the amount of youngsters having kids.

Obviously you can understand it amongst the unemployed and unemployable as having kids is the golden ticket to a cushy life on benefits, but even those in paid work seem to be desperate to get in on the act as well. 

In my job the pay is low (around £10ph take home) and job security isn't guaranteed at all, especially for newer employees (last in first out)

And yet of the 4 newest (no more than a year in the job) and youngest (all under 21) 3 of them or their partners are all expecting their first kids.

I can only assume it's a combination of maternity pay and Child Tax Credits that make it such an attractive option.

Edited by Royston
12 minutes ago, Royston said:

It amazes me the amount of youngsters having kids.

Obviously you can understand it amongst the unemployed and unemployable as having kids is the golden ticket to a cushy life on benefits, but even those in paid work seem to be desperate to get in on the act as well. 

In my job the pay is low (around £10ph take home) and job security isn't guaranteed at all, especially for newer employees (last in first out)

And yet of the 4 newest (no more than a year in the job) and youngest (all under 21) 3 of them or their partners are all expecting their first kids.

I can only assume it's a combination of maternity pay and Child Tax Credits that make it such an attractive option.

that's a very good thing.  I wish I had kids younger.  I would have liked to have seen grandchildren before being too old.

32 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

To reproduce is ultimately what we are here for.  As middle class teens and young adults in the nineties we were endlessly warned not to get pregnant / get anyone pregnant because 'it will ruin your life'. No one ever said 'aim to try and find someone non mental, settle down and start a family because it will give some meaning and purpose to your life'.

This. Although in my case I'm very much working class.

I never wanted kids tbh and I never thought that I could afford them. The jobs I've had have been low end. I felt that the world was already overpopulated and I didn't want to run the risk of raising children in a home with parents living apart like my eldest sister was then doing. 

I grew up on a housing estate and some kids who I befriended were products of single mums. They lived in 2 bedroomed council flats during the 1980s. Growing up I never could quite fathom how they could afford it with mum at home all day. My dad and mum both worked. Until @spygirl 's educational posts on here and that other forum about bennies.

6 hours ago, lid said:

Magic money tree innit..

I mean if the state is gonna look after every man and his dog should I actively encourage my kids to breed? 

I'm thinking at least I'll be doing my bit. Who knows what state this country will be in in 2050.

Shag for Britain.  

Yes, though you should encourage your daughters to get married first (but not your sons).

6 hours ago, lid said:

Magic money tree innit..

Shag for Britain.  

No idea tbh. I never wanted kids. Mixture of the massive overpopulation and not wanting the expense. Also have always found them very annoying. Have been lucky in that my wife isn’t bothered, she has a nephew and niece to do the fun things with before handing them back. She would never have changed a nappy  or anything. Most of her friends don’t and wouldn’t have children, too.

Ive often said that the WORKING class can’t afford kids. It’s a game for the middle and underclass. I also would have been very worried for their future. I fear massive trouble ahead. I would have been unable to protect them from that.

Its like on that great deflation thread. It all feels right. But none of us know how bad it could be come 2028. @Harley has a good plan. I think it may be world, hopefully temporary, that I won’t want to live in. That’s why I’m doing as little paid work as possible from here on in and taking pleasure from the small (coincidentally usually cheap or free) things in life. 

Any intelligent thinking individual should make a quick assessment of:

1.   Where were we 20 years ago?

2. Where are we now?

3. Where will we be in 20 years time?

If you are male having kids is a massive risk to penury and misery. She will have complete control over your life...try to escape and BANG.....you're fecked.

Getting married and having kids was the worst possible decision for myself. I worked my bollocks off and built a big family house in my spare time......all a complete waste of time and effort. I'm now virtually estranged.

And I'm not alone.....I have 3 friends in exactly the same situation.

Am I bitter.....Yes.    I should have stayed single and become fabulously wealthy.

So all these youngsters fulfilling their biological desires is actually one sided  .........it's fulfilling her desires.   The financial advantages are chickenfeed.